Mandel mentions JM

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
westcoastarmyfan
New Recruit

Mandel mentions JM

Post by westcoastarmyfan » Thu May 31, 2018 4:33 pm

From the Athletic, when Stewart Mandel was asked about the top 25 coaches in his opinion.

"Other names I could see sliding in there over the next several years (at their current school or elsewhere): Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Purdue’s Jeff Brohm, Baylor’s Matt Rhule, Army’s Jeff Monken and Appalachian State’s Scott Satterfield."

We are in good hands.

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Re: Mandel mentions JM

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:40 pm

I saw that too.

The Athletic is one site that is worth the cost. Great content, none of the annoying ads and auto-play videos. Highly recommend it.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Highly recommend as well. Great site.

Jeff Monken is without question one of the top 20-30 coaches in college football. Remember folks we won 2 games JUST TWO YEARS AGO!!!!!! What a turnaround he has done

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:54 pm

I think we should consider paying Coach Monken like the 20 or 30 best coaches in America. I hope our new Supe will be attuned enough to listen to somebody that HE will listen to. I hold my breath.

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:48 am

I agree JM has done a fantastic job. Let's be careful about calling this a two year turnaround. This all started the day he walked in and cleaned out lockers in the locker room. Then cranked up recruiting and we saw a whole host of kids leave the program and others get cut. The progress was all showing in year two. You just had to follow the signs and understand the culture change that was happening early on. Our kids weren't winning many games those first two years but they were learning how to compete. JM has made our players tough again and focus on the small details of doing their job and execution. That was best demonstrated last year when we rarely threw the ball. We aren't bigger of faster than other teams but we played our assignments and executed. Everyone knew we were running the ball. Hell we even knew Bradshaw was going to run it most of the time yet we still found ways to prevail. This is what football is all about! Physical and Mental Toughness, Execution, Discipline, Teamwork, and Conditioning. It has nothing to do with specific schemes, a bunch of fancy plays, or an individual player. The other thing I really like about JM is that he's willing to gamble every now and then. The fake punt, going for two, putting in Hopkins to throw for the comeback win. It doesn't always work but when the opportunity arises he and the team are prepared to execute. It's clearly built into his plan. The fake punt last year is likely the best example. It was there and our punter executed in extraordinary fashion. Lastly, can anyone deny that our players continually improve throughout the season? This is a real challenge; to eliminate complacency in your program. To keep your foot on the gas and push everyday to improve. This starts in the offseason but progresses quickly once fall ball starts and you can't stop, ever. Remember the early season concerns especially around the Tulane loss? We didn't throw enough and we weren't defending the pass very well. But our team kept grinding. And by Air Force we were in full swing. The UNT loss was tough but we played and played hard and so did UNT. By Navy and SDSU we knew what we had and that we could compete. It was just a question of how things would turn out.

This year will be tough for sure. The bad news is we lose a known quantity like Bradshaw. But the good news is Monken has a full contingent of his own recruits. This is year 5 which means his first full class of Direct Admits will be Seniors and his Junior are the first set of Prepsters and his 2nd class of Direct admits. That's a good place to be. And let's remember that Bradshaw wasn't extraordinary early on. He was a work in progresss who got better and better. Which speaks to the staff's ability to develop a player.

We've not only got a good head coach he's got a good staff of Davis, Batemen, and even guys like Loose who have been around Army Football in the past and know what it takes. I'm sure we will have ups and downs but the proof will continue to be how we fair over time. I'm thrilled we have JM and hope we continue to pay him and staff in a way that makes it worth their while to stay. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out this year for sure!

PD

BigNick
New Recruit

Post by BigNick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Bradshaw was a great player for us, however I am more concerned about the losses in the offensive line. Unfortunately, I think we will be a (one touchdown) worst team than last year. Also, I do not see experienced quality replacements for the three seniors lost on the defense. The expectation is that several players will "step-up" and be just as good. This year will really be the test of JM's recruiting.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm

If Army is on the right path (i think they are), and if Monken is the right coach (i think he is), i think there is definitely going to be a "next man up" mentality to replace those key offensive lineman. My inside source tells me there is a definite "attitude and vibe" held by the offensive lineman and Wr's in the locker room and weight room. Almost a bully mentality that translates to blocks on the football field. I was at the san diego state game...they just beat them up play after play like a street fight. There was no way we weren't scoring by the end of the game.

So....I think that attitude translates to successful new guys.

keco616
New Recruit

Post by keco616 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:27 pm

I think we all expect the offense to take a bit of a step back, but Hopkins ability to throw the ball will be important. Ahmad really didn't have that, and in certain matchups like Temple, that became challenging. While Ahmad was the absolutely perfect point guard, Hopkins can give them something different for some of the more difficulty matchups of size up front.

BigNick
New Recruit

Post by BigNick » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:15 pm

There is a big difference between very talented players and champions.
Champions make the big play at the critical time - Bradshaw and our offensive line were champions. Many talented players do not always make the big play - they fumble or they are just one yard short.
We will see what we have this year.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:28 pm

We are not in the same class as an Alabama or an Ohio State. They lose great players every year and they just reload. We on the other hand, have to restock. We lost 3 OLs and one OL dropout in Kurz from last years team plus our field general in Bradshaw. With our chronic depth problem , no matter what coach we have, is a mountain to overcome. I just hope we can win two- thirds of our 12 game schedule or 8 games but that will be tough to do even that in my opinion.

That doesn't mean I'm pessimistic, but the facts as presented here are realistic as to what we have going for us the way I see it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic