Role of new Offensive Analyst

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
New Recruit

Re: Role of new Offensive Analyst

Post by WrekDivr » Sat May 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Two things jumped out to me in the article:

First, I was really surprised at how dismissive they were to Malcom Perry. I think most of us recognize him as a talented player even though we question his ability to xsurvive the entire season as QB without injury. In the article, they call him an “unimpressive stock triple option quarterback.”

Second, after reading on the Air Force forum (from the link in the Air Force is getting salty thread) that AFA is the premiere leadership institution in the world (tough to type that with a straight face) I now read that the football team had poor player leadership. Huh.

The first step on the road to recovery is first to acknowledge the problem.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Army - Air Force early look at matchup

Post by ArmyBN82 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm

As for Football came out with their look ahead match up with Air Force. While I agree Air Force will be tough as always, they did lose their biggest play maker, expected back up QB and rumors are they will lose a top FB. That with the recent departure of more coaches should make the early part of the season more challenging as the Zoomies find their chemistry and footing. Thoughts?

“Coming off a 5-7 season that featured a dominant rushing defense alongside uncertainty at quarterback, Air Force is looking to get back to the postseason. Despite competing in a tough Mountain West conference, this looks doable. The Zoomies have been somewhat cyclical under Head Coach Troy Calhoun, but Calhoun’s teams have been very successful when they’ve been able to put experienced players on field. With a returning quarterback in rising junior Donald Hammond III and most of the team’s defensive starters back, 2019 looks to be one of the good years.
The Air Force spring game was a bit like Army’s in that the Zoomies didn’t play their starters much. They featured “semi-live” action, though, so in that sense, they weren’t getting after it like the Black Knights did. However, they did at least let some of the backups come out and compete. For example, third string QB Beau English II played a lot, and reports were that he looked good throwing the football. No one’s suggesting that he’s going to push QB Isaiah Sanders for the backup role, but the Falcons have real depth under center.

As always, it seems like Air Force has an exciting young receiving corps. For example, 6’4” sophomore WR Jake Spiewak looks like he could be a dominant force as a possession receiver. The Zoomies have a lot of size on the outside besides just Spiewack, so we shouldn’t be surprised if they try to push the ball down the field more in 2019.
The biggest plus for Air Force is that the team returns nearly all of its defensive starters on a unit that was already pretty good, especially against the run. The Zoomie have tough matchups against Boise State, Fresno State, and Utah State in 2019, but the rest of the schedule looks distinctly manageable, even with the early-season contest at Colorado, a team that’s struggled to stay competitive in the Pac-12.”

https://www.asforfootball.com/2019/05/1 ... p-3rd-qtr/
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Army significantly better on Offense 2019?

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Earlier SB Nation cited that Army offense showed "relentless consistency" that made up lack of production and deficiencies on first down by not taking sacks and making their 3rd and 4th downs. " The Black Knights were 31st in rushing marginal efficiency, which is solid but maybe not quite as good as you’d expect, and they were a downright alarming 101st in average yards per play on first down with 5.3. For comparison, Air Force was 27th and 54th, respectively."

Army this years in my opinion should be significantly improved. Army builds on the core of an already great offensive line. This year 247 Sports ranks Army's Offensive line #3 in the nation citing "“Only Clemson and Memphis, both of which played more games, rushed for more touchdowns than the Army Black Knights last season. The triple-option attack racked up 4,062 yards and 47 touchdowns on 824 attempts. Army finished 11-2 in 2018, and quarterback Kelvin Hopkins Jr. returns behind an experienced offensive line."

Second I think you will see Army not be as predictable on first down as Army will on the ground spread the ball more to the fast and deeper slot back positions and add more creative play making on first down. I hope to see that Coach Drinkall as an offensive QC/QA contribute to some new first down play designs especially against Michigan. Understand it is not common for that to happen but when you bring in one of the most noted creative coaches - A mind is a terrible thing to waste :) I predict we have the number one rushing team in the nation this year and a much stronger offense (even after losing the starting FBs) can't go much higher than 3rd in offensive line ranking but we can make it count....

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/B ... 32096293_9
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ule-roster
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:00 am

I'm sure Monken was pleased with the outstanding conversion rate on 4th down that Army had last year...and going for it on 4th-and-short is part of his philosophy for certain.

However, I'd bet he'd rather get that first down earlier in the count and not even have to go for it on 4th. The article is right, and many have commented on our predictability on 1st...Army needs to be more effective on 1st downs this year. I think Hopkins' maturity, speed at SB, good enough replacements at FB, a mature O line and the addition of Drinkall as an Offensive Analyst are all reasons to be hopeful that the Army O is going to be more productive this year. And I hope that means we have 1/2 as many attempts at 4th down (while maintaining the conversion percentage).
2 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Sun May 19, 2019 10:44 am

gabn92 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:00 am
I'm sure Monken was pleased with the outstanding conversion rate on 4th down that Army had last year...and going for it on 4th-and-short is part of his philosophy for certain.

However, I'd bet he'd rather get that first down earlier in the count and not even have to go for it on 4th..
I disagree. You are saying, for instance, he’d rather have a 7 play drive resulting in a TD versus a 13 play drive withtwo fourth downs resulting in a TD? I think monken would much prefer the latter as the extra 6 plays keep their offense off the field for an extra 2-3 minutes
1 x

prairie
New Recruit

Re: Army significantly better on Offense 2019?

Post by prairie » Sun May 19, 2019 5:07 pm

ArmyBN82 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Second I think you will see Army not be as predictable on first down as Army will on the ground spread the ball more to the fast and deeper slot back positions and add more creative play making on first down.
I hope the unpredictability will be which gaps and which blocking schemes are used on the FB dive. If our FB's are not carrying the ball 30-35 times a game, we're not going to be winning a lot of games.
1 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Re: Army significantly better on Offense 2019?

Post by wpgrad » Sun May 19, 2019 11:16 pm

prairie wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:07 pm
ArmyBN82 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Second I think you will see Army not be as predictable on first down as Army will on the ground spread the ball more to the fast and deeper slot back positions and add more creative play making on first down.
I hope the unpredictability will be which gaps and which blocking schemes are used on the FB dive. If our FB's are not carrying the ball 30-35 times a game, we're not going to be winning a lot of games.
This. +1
1 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:20 am

wpgrad wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:44 am
gabn92 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:00 am

However, I'd bet he'd rather get that first down earlier in the count and not even have to go for it on 4th..
I disagree. You are saying, for instance, he’d rather have a 7 play drive resulting in a TD versus a 13 play drive withtwo fourth downs resulting in a TD? I think monken would much prefer the latter as the extra 6 plays keep their offense off the field for an extra 2-3 minutes
wpgrad...you make a good point. Long, sustained drives are part of Monkens philosophy as well for just the reason you point out. For the example you mentioned, I’m sure he’d prefer the extra time of possession. But, it’s not always so black and white. How about a 10 play drive with no need for 4th down conversions compared to the 13 play drive you describe needing 2? Better production 1st to 3rd down doesn’t mean Army’s offense somehow becomes the next version of a quick strike O. I’m all for being aggressive and going for it on 4th...but if we can get the first more regularly in 2 or 3 downs, I think that is a good thing.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Navy Predicitons

Post by ArmyBN82 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 pm

In the American Athletic Conference the Predictions are out for 2019.

Navy in the West Division is expected to 5th of 6 teams. Think that given the player losses, number of changes of coaches, changes to the offense to suit QB Perry, bringing in more of the spread offense from Hawaii - the assessment seems to me to be fair. ...

Navy (3-10, 2-6)
“Only seven starters return from a 3-10 team that lost four games by a touchdown or less. Coach Ken Niumatalolo will attempt to restore his proud program behind senior quarterback Malcolm Perry, a 2,300-yard career rusher. There’s some promising depth at fullback, but it’s mostly unproven. Defensively, improvement must start on third down; Navy ranked 126th nationally in opponents’ third-down conversion rate (.485) in 2018.”

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bul ... -rankings/
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:01 am

ArmyBN82, should we pin a thread for you to post all of your article excerpts? :lol:

Many useful copies/pastes, but I don't think we're on topic anymore regarding the new Offensive Analyst.
1 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic