Best QB’s Since 2009

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Best QB’s Since 2009

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

How would you rank the quarterbacks since the triple option was re-installed in 2009?

Mine would be

1. Bradshaw
2. Steelman
3. Hopkins
4. Anderson
5. Laws
0 x
Constant69
Warrior

Re: Best QB’s Since 2009

Post by Constant69 »

Trent Steelman doesn't belong on this list. Let me recap his 4 year history of starting QB at West Point:

17 Win - 31 Loss

Navy 0 - 4

AFA 1-3

Steelman was not a winner. He was the losingest starting QB in NCAA history. We all know the reason: no ball security. Just from memory his record was against Hawaii: 8 fumbles. And of course the agonizing last fumble of his career, on the Navy 9 yard line.

Steelman and Ellerson never thought it was important enough to correct this flaw, or sit down until he could hang onto the ball. And peripherally, the above is almost exactly Ellerson's record at WP, except he went on for a 5th year and lost 9 more games before being dismissed. So he won't be on any top Army coaches lists, either.

Recalling all this is not a good way to start my Saturday morning.
2 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Constant69 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:46 pm Trent Steelman doesn't belong on this list. Let me recap his 4 year history of starting QB at West Point:

17 Win - 31 Loss

Navy 0 - 4

AFA 1-3

Steelman was not a winner. He was the losingest starting QB in NCAA history. We all know the reason: no ball security. Just from memory his record was against Hawaii: 8 fumbles. And of course the agonizing last fumble of his career, on the Navy 9 yard line.

Steelman and Ellerson never thought it was important enough to correct this flaw, or sit down until he could hang onto the ball. And peripherally, the above is almost exactly Ellerson's record at WP, except he went on for a 5th year and lost 9 more games before being dismissed. So he won't be on any top Army coaches lists, either.

Recalling all this is not a good way to start my Saturday morning.
Steelman is not even close to being the losingest QB in ncaa history. Thats just a dumb comment

Put Steelman with an actual coach, and he’s in argument for best Army QB in modern times
1 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Post by 3seconddelay »

Steelman is pretty close to the most losses as a starter. The only one I can find with more is Jay Cutler, 11-35 at Vanderbilt.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

I think Steelman is unfairly remembered because of that fumble against Navy and the frustration of that whole era of Army football. Saying he doesn't belong on a list of the top Army QB's since 2009 is an argument based on emotion, by basically putting the W-L record all on Steelman. This is a TEAM sport. He played a role and has some responsibility for sure, but to call Steelman a loser is to put all the focus on him and not on the team for that time period.

The simple fact is that he was a 4-year starter at QB for Army. That alone is impressive, to be able to start at QB as a Plebe. He was durable, which can not be said about Hopkins, Laws and Anderson who all missed significant portions of seasons due to injury.

Looking at the career stats of those 5, Steelman leads in total yards gained rushing and in most TDs scored. His career passing percentage is better than all of them except Laws.

It would have been interesting to see Steelman during the Monken era...Jeff wouldn't have tolerated the fumbling as Ellerson did. Would that have meant Steelman never played, or got the problem fixed and was more effective?

Anyway, I think he certainly deserves to be among the top 5 QBs during that era. His stats warrant it. It's unfortunate it was during a very dark time of Army football...but he shouldn't be pinned with the blame for all of that.
0 x
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

The 17-31 record for Steelman isn’t accurate anyway. He missed 3 or 4 starts during his career due to injury. The 2011 games against Air Force and Fordham snow game come to mind.

https://youtu.be/vtN8neHgg9M
0 x
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

As good as Hopkins was he only had 1 good year as a starter. His 2019 was marred with injury and I guess him either being party to or falling prey to the toxic locker room that year.
0 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Post by 3seconddelay »

gabn92 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:18 am Anyway, I think he certainly deserves to be among the top 5 QBs during that era. His stats warrant it. It's unfortunate it was during a very dark time of Army football...but he shouldn't be pinned with the blame for all of that.
I was just looking at wins and losses. I think Steelman is in the top 5 since 2009. I think his option reads were excellent. Tough as nails. He played with a nerve block for broken ribs more than once. Tyler has that same kind of toughness. I’ve seen a lot of Army Team guys come through A-Lot since 1993. My biggest dig on number 8 was he seemed more about him than Team and Ellerson definitely played favorites on and off the field.
0 x
Constant69
Warrior

Post by Constant69 »

3seconddelay wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:57 am Steelman is pretty close to the most losses as a starter. The only one I can find with more is Jay Cutler, 11-35 at Vanderbilt.
Thank you for bringing some facts to this discussion 3seconddelay. I correct my statement: Steelman is the SECOND losingest starting QB in NCAA history.
0 x
Constant69
Warrior

Post by Constant69 »

ArmyRoadFan7 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:41 am The 17-31 record for Steelman isn’t accurate anyway. He missed 3 or 4 starts during his career due to injury. The 2011 games against Air Force and Fordham snow game come to mind.

https://youtu.be/vtN8neHgg9M
Distinction without a difference.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic