Phil Steele's 16 MOST IMPROVED TEAMS OF THE YEAR

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
Warrior

Phil Steele's 16 MOST IMPROVED TEAMS OF THE YEAR

Post by RABBLE »

Steele picks both Army and Navy as 2 of the top 16 in the country as most improved.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: Phil Steele's 16 MOST IMPROVED TEAMS OF THE YEAR

Post by WrekDivr »

Here’s a link to the list:

https://www.on3.com//news/college-footb ... il-steele/

In addition to Navy, Army opponents Boston College and UTEP are also on the list.
0 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

WrekDivr wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:05 am Here’s a link to the list:

https://www.on3.com//news/college-footb ... il-steele/

In addition to Navy, Army opponents Boston College and UTEP are also on the list.
Don’t think Army plays UTEP this season. UTSA, yes, but not UTEP.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

FSUBulldog0 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:53 am Don’t think Army plays UTEP this season. UTSA, yes, but not UTEP.
Roger that. My bad. Thanks for the catch.
0 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

I'm curious as to how a team that went 6-6 last year and projected by the "experts" to go 6-6 this year is rated among the "16 most improved"? Strength of schedule? New recruiting class? New offensive scheme? Something doesn't quite add up.
0 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

Armyfaninpa wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:52 pm I'm curious as to how a team that went 6-6 last year and projected by the "experts" to go 6-6 this year is rated among the "16 most improved"? Strength of schedule? New recruiting class? New offensive scheme? Something doesn't quite add up.
Different experts have different ways to measure. Phil Steele looks at returning production, close games lost last season (and we had lots of those), and other similar criteria. He probably figures games like UTSA, Air Force, and Troy might go the other way this season. Even Ga State and Coastal were winnable games. Let’s face it, a muffed punt and a missed FG go the other direction and we would have been 8-4 + a bowl and most fans would be relatively happy. Monken says it all the time, the difference between winning and losing is very small. All the little things count.
1 x
Army Frog Fan
Warrior

Post by Army Frog Fan »

FSUBulldog0 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:05 pm
Armyfaninpa wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:52 pm I'm curious as to how a team that went 6-6 last year and projected by the "experts" to go 6-6 this year is rated among the "16 most improved"? Strength of schedule? New recruiting class? New offensive scheme? Something doesn't quite add up.
Different experts have different ways to measure. Phil Steele looks at returning production, close games lost last season (and we had lots of those), and other similar criteria. He probably figures games like UTSA, Air Force, and Troy might go the other way this season. Even Ga State and Coastal were winnable games. Let’s face it, a muffed punt and a missed FG go the other direction and we would have been 8-4 + a bowl and most fans would be relatively happy. Monken says it all the time, the difference between winning and losing is very small. All the little things count.
AF should have gone the other way last year, if only Army had just run sneak when they walked up to the ball multiple times that game. There were probably 10 or more plays where the QB was under center and the DTs were outside shade of the guards. Instead of calling for a quick snap and taking a free 5 yards, with the chance of a broken tackle and big play, we'd run motion, look to the coaches, and allow the DL to reset. I was in the endzone and it was incredibly frustrating to watch form that angle.
0 x
giant16
Warrior

Post by giant16 »

Army Frog Fan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:34 am
FSUBulldog0 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:05 pm
Armyfaninpa wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:52 pm
AF should have gone the other way last year, if only Army had just run sneak when they walked up to the ball multiple times that game. There were probably 10 or more plays where the QB was under center and the DTs were outside shade of the guards. Instead of calling for a quick snap and taking a free 5 yards, with the chance of a broken tackle and big play, we'd run motion, look to the coaches, and allow the DL to reset. I was in the endzone and it was incredibly frustrating to watch form that angle.
I wish the QB was given the ability to walk up to the line and if he recognized the DT split - be allowed to to change the play and call out a quick sneak.
Unfortunately I feel the "O" was kept too rigid with a stubborn, this "is how we run, we will run it until we execute it right" mentality ... and I don't know if the coaches give the QB that option.

How many years have we watched Navy change things up during the game for big gains... catching us off guard.

OBOAT
1 x
Army Frog Fan
Warrior

Post by Army Frog Fan »

Yep. I am also a TCU fan. TCU learned their lessen when they didn't just run a sneak with Max Duggan during the season. So they started implementing a sneak with a TE in motion, who would help push the pile after the snap. Its a free couple yards.
1 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

With all the talk of job security going around, does anyone know if Phil Steele still has a job? I'm hoping he has some hot stock tips he can share.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic