FIRE THATCHER TODAY!

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
PrideandDream
Warrior

Re: FIRE THATCHER TODAY!

Post by PrideandDream »

Well that's a very likely scenario. And I might be on board if I thought we were making some progress. It's just so hap hazard and I don't see the coaching expertise to make it work with a lower level of talent.

I also remember thinking "Well maybe Todd Berry just needs more time..." that and the fact that there is no single season of an academy having success in the last 40+ years with anything except an under center, option based, run heavy offense.

FWIW....
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Monken said he wasn't going to panic, but he does need to be ripping some a__ when ppl aren't performing as he did the first 5 or 6 years at Army.
0 x
BG
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

wpgrad wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:18 am As i posted in another thread, its ridiculously stupid to even talk about making an offense change after just 7 games. Its not even november

Stick it out, make it work, beat navy, hit spring ball with a vengeance. Anything else reeks of a quitter mentality and we’d be the laughingstock of college football
i agree with wpgrad that it doesn't make sense to just totally scrap things after 2 months, especially when we made zero changes to our previous offense after several years of under performing. there have been times (like UTSA) where we looked dominant with this offense. my personal opinion is that we can run from the gun and be successful if we are like 80-85% run, with some well timed, easy to execute passes sprinkled in. the 17 passes a game seems stupid, and i can't believe we didn't run the ball more against UMASS

is it possible that we didn't go far enough with only firing brent davis? should we have had thatcher bring in other assistants with him? i dont know, but i've been convinced by others that the offensive line is a huge problem (with some former player friends of mine stating they think its an execution vs talent issue) and having it led by someone who knows nothing about coaching the offensive line seems like a really dumb decision in hindsight.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

I wondered the same thing. I believe firmly that coaches and coaching staffs have a shelf life. I think that shelf life is magnified at a place like west Point where coaching staffs can “fall in love with cadets” in terms of what type of people they are off the football field. I think it makes the coaches less willing to coach.

In my opinion from my personal experience and other players that played, I think that was a HUGE problem in the 1990s and 2000s with coaching staffs and more particular with the administrative staff who couldn’t wrap their hands around the fact that, yes, you could have west Point but also have a good football team.

I remember one staffer who would get on the old board and give the old “its okay we lost to holy cross 44-3, we have bigger battles to fight on bigger days!”

Maybe monken needs to make huge changes. Who knows. But i think we gotta give drinkall and thatcher a full 2 seasons
1 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

Well one thing is for certain. If we want to run this offense we better go get some guys with legit coaching experience. It is frankly pretty bad. Go read the bios of our offensive staff then compare it to other teams. We really have no deep expertise or coaching experience.

During the LSU game they highlighted LSU D Line coach Pete Jenkins. And they told a story about him at Auburn in the Independence Bowl in 1996 struggling with the scout team option. Pete Jenkins is a guru but my point is they have a guy who has been coaching forever and is an expert. In fact Saban used to use Jenkins as a consultant when things weren't going the way they wanted in Tuscaloosa.

Point is we have a bunch of amateurs on our staff that lack the deep expertise to put all this together. That's ultimately on Monken but I know he doesn't have unlimited resources either like pay. But damn can we at least get a couple guys on each side of the ball. Nate Woody I think fits the criteria but no one on the offensive side does.

PD
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic