Bowl Eligibility

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
OptionThis
Warrior

Bowl Eligibility

Post by OptionThis »

Am I correct in my understanding that even if Army were to win out - not an unrealistic scenario given that neither Coastal Carolina or Navy are killing it this year (ranked 74th and 107th in the latest CBS rankings) and Holy Cross at home should be a win - then Army still wouldn't be bowl eligible as two opponents (Del St and HC) are FCS schools ?

The last time Army sought a waiver from the "two wins over FCS schools don't count" rule, the waiver was rejected.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Re: Bowl Eligibility

Post by gabn92 »

I think that's correct. Two things going against Army at this point for getting to a bowl:

1) Needing a waiver to get credit for a 2nd win against an FCS team
2) The other win would be over Navy on 9 December, which is a week after bowl selections.

Army would need the sun, stars and moon to align to get a bid at this point...if there aren't enough 6-6 teams at the end of the season, perhaps a bowl would be willing to wait a week and take Army over a 5-7 team. But another challenge at that point would be James Madison University...currently undefeated but only bowl eligible if there aren't enough 6-win teams to fill the slots.

So, effectively Army would need to win out and have at least 2 bowl slots sitting open that would be filled with 5-7 teams AND then get be able to get the waiver and have a bowl willing to wait a week to see if we beat Navy.

Realistically, the Navy game is our bowl game this year.
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

If we end up 6-6 with the CIC trophy after installing a new offense with the toughest schedule in recent memory, I would say it’s a successful season even without a bowl game.
2 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Target!
0 x
Justafan11
Warrior

Post by Justafan11 »

Ok - now I'm convinced it's a good thing Army is joining a conference. To finish this year 6-6, winners of the CIC trophy and on a 4 game winning streak (all of this is still possible) and not go to a bowl game is disgusting. Great job scheduling once again by completing this year's schedule with Holy Cross and Delaware State. Just idiotic. I could only imagine how much the additional weeks of practice would help with this new offense not to mention another game. And please don't give me this line of you don't understand how difficult it is to schedule every year. Last year the same thing happened with the potential of a bowl bid. AAC - I'm so looking forward to joining you guys although the powers that be might complete our schedule with all FCS teams. Fire the schedule maker - way to bring me down after such a great win.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Justafan11 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 am Ok - now I'm convinced it's a good thing Army is joining a conference. To finish this year 6-6, winners of the CIC trophy and on a 4 game winning streak (all of this is still possible) and not go to a bowl game is disgusting. Great job scheduling once again by completing this year's schedule with Holy Cross and Delaware State. Just idiotic. I could only imagine how much the additional weeks of practice would help with this new offense not to mention another game. And please don't give me this line of you don't understand how difficult it is to schedule every year. Last year the same thing happened with the potential of a bowl bid. AAC - I'm so looking forward to joining you guys although the powers that be might complete our schedule with all FCS teams. Fire the schedule maker - way to bring me down after such a great win.
It hasn't been so many years ago that a team had to have a winning record to go bowling (2009?). With the crazy expansion of the bowls, we now have this situation where we can worry about a bowl bid for a team that doesn't have a winning record. I don't see it as a big deal. Nice to go, yes. Beat ULM and UMass and we aren't quite so concerned. We've lost four games by one score. If we don't turn the ball over, this is a completely different season. It isn't the scheduler's fault that we won't have won 6 games against D1 competition.
4 x
BG
hiangle6
Warrior

Post by hiangle6 »

Justafan11 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 am Ok - now I'm convinced it's a good thing Army is joining a conference. To finish this year 6-6, winners of the CIC trophy and on a 4 game winning streak (all of this is still possible) and not go to a bowl game is disgusting. Great job scheduling once again by completing this year's schedule with Holy Cross and Delaware State. Just idiotic. I could only imagine how much the additional weeks of practice would help with this new offense not to mention another game. And please don't give me this line of you don't understand how difficult it is to schedule every year. Last year the same thing happened with the potential of a bowl bid. AAC - I'm so looking forward to joining you guys although the powers that be might complete our schedule with all FCS teams. Fire the schedule maker - way to bring me down after such a great win.
Someone better versed than I, might be able to confirm this, but I believe that one of the two FCS games this year is a function of a FBS team that bought out our game. Late reschedules like that have to be hard to fill to get a team to come to Michie. Additionally, it validates the pressure to get into a conference beyond money issues IMO.
0 x
GoArmy72
Warrior

Post by GoArmy72 »

Agree that having two FCS games hurts the eligibility for bowl games, but remember Delaware State was a last minute replacement when Ball State decided to back out and go and play Georgia for the big payday. Without that change, Holy Cross would have been the only FCS team on this years schedule.
0 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

Last year this definitely felt like a real tough luck situation with missing out on a Bowl because 2 wins were FCS. This year it's hard to feel too much frustration over it, because even if they win their last 3 (far from a given), they have losses to ULM and UMass on their ledger, both of whom there's really no excuse for them to be losing to.
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

neumanna1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:45 pm Last year this definitely felt like a real tough luck situation with missing out on a Bowl because 2 wins were FCS. This year it's hard to feel too much frustration over it, because even if they win their last 3 (far from a given), they have losses to ULM and UMass on their ledger, both of whom there's really no excuse for them to be losing to.
True. On the positive side, we beat bowl-eligible and AAC leading UTSA and a #25 (Playoff Rankings)/#17 (AP) AF.

While not likely, the two wins above and a season-ending surge might gain us consideration for a waiver.
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic