Chew on this little nugget

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
PrideandDream
Warrior

Chew on this little nugget

Post by PrideandDream »

In 4 seasons and 47 games Todd Berry's teams scored 885 points or 18.8 points per game.

Right now through 10 games Drew Thatcher's new system has scored 201 points or 20.1 points per game.

That's where we are with this offense right now.

From 2014 through 2022 Monken has averaged 28.7 points per game. His worst year so far was 2015 at 22.1 points. Last year we averaged 28.6 points per game.

No matter how you look at it this offense is ineffective both by Monken's standard and just as bad as the despised Todd Berry.

We can argue scheme and talent and opponent but the bottom line as the stats add up is that now after 10 games this system looks no better than last year and certainly no better than game 1 vs ULM.

PD
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Re: Chew on this little nugget

Post by PrideandDream »

BTW that 201 includes 14 not scored by our offense. The punt block today and the pick 6 vs ULM. So it's really about 18 points per game.
0 x
BoC84
Warrior

Post by BoC84 »

The #1 issue with the 2023 offense is that it does not control the clock, The "triple option" from the "wishbone" allowed us to control the clock, and keep the defense off the field. Our undersized defense gets exposed when they are on the field too much. This was the exact same issue as during the Todd Berry years (5-35 record). When we control the clock (UTSA, 1/2 half of Syracuse), AND don't turn the ball over, the 2023 offense can work. Unfortunately, we have seen too little of that so far this year.
1 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

I do not hold the same concern regarding our offense. I think it is a work in process and the offense we willsee next year will be 20% different and more effective. My biggest concern I saw yesterday was poor clock management. In the fourth quarter we had multiple situations where we were snapping the ball with 10 or 12 seconds still on the clock. One time was in the 20s. And this was in a situation where we were very much trying to run out the clock and get this game over with. To me thats a bigger coaching concern vs alot of other stuff
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

Interested in folks thoughts on this: what would our record be this year running last years offense with last years OC and of course this years players? My thoughts:

ULM - we win this game. Would not have have 2 INTs. 1-0
Delaware State - Win with either offense. 2-0
UTSA - we might lose this game running under center as we had almost 200 yrds passing and few mistakes. 2-1
Syracuse - Toss up. We had 2 INTs but only a 125 yards rushing. 2-2
BC - we win this game last year. We had terrible time of possession in this game. Last year BC would not have had as many possessions. 3-2
Troy - loss either way 3-3
LSU - loss either way 3-4
UMass - a win last year 4-4
AF - a win either year. They gave us this game. 5-4
Holy Cross - win with either offense 6-4

I think we could easily be 6-4. If I am anywhere close to being right why was the offensive change so critical?
1 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

Clock management is poor certainly but ask yourself why isn’t it getting better??? This is game 10.

This offense isn’t getting better. 93 yards in the 2nd half? Agains t a good but not great FCS team? This offense has
Much bigger issues than just click issues. Execution, discipline, physicality, identity, creativity, play calling, play design. Issues are everywhere. It’s not getting better it’s the same maybe worse than at ULM.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic