Never forget…

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
PrideandDream
Warrior

Never forget…

Post by PrideandDream »

We scored no touchdowns against, now 2-8, ULM in game 1

We got blanked two weeks in a row by Troy and LSU

We lost to a horrible UMASS team

We beat AF with 6 turnovers and 2 fourth down stops

We damned near lost to Holy Cross and scored 1 offensive touchdown.

There are major major problems with this team. And it all starts with the offensive scheme.

This change in offense is a massive step backwards and we’ve become almost totally uncompetitive.

Say what you want about yesterday. Penalties hurt us sure. But they hurt us in other games too. Holy Cross is good. Yeah well UMASS isn’t. LSU and Troy were conference champions last year. Well so was UTSA. And to top all this off don’t forget we had a half vs Syracuse and vs Boston College where we were shut out.

The stats are adding up and so are the results. Change is needed.

PD
3 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Re: Never forget…

Post by USMAPAFAN »

Unless we play similar to the UTSA effort we will lose to CC. They are 7-3 and have won 2 in a row with their backup QB.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

So…what role does execution play? As you have pointed out in the past, execution is more important than scheme.

It’s hard to deny that this offense has been generally ineffective with a few bright exceptions, including against UTSA (who is now 7-3 and in 1st in the much feared AAC).

Our offensive woes could be due to scheme, poor o-line play, or general ability to execute. Or perhaps something else.

For me personally, I do miss the Flexbone TO. I thought it gave the entire team a great identity and I enjoyed us just grinding on defenses. But that was the years around 2018. The last couple of years, it was painful to watch.

So, while I am not sold on the new O, I am not ready to say it can’t work either.
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

One other data point:

AF, running their flexbone offense, scored no TDs against us and only one vs. 3-7 (now 4-7) Hawaii. AF was in the red zone 4 times in the second half and got one FG. Perhaps their success this year has been due to the level of competition and not their offense.
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

prideandream wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:14 am We scored no touchdowns against, now 2-8, ULM in game 1

There are major major problems with this team. And it all starts with the offensive scheme.

This change in offense is a massive step backwards and we’ve become almost totally uncompetitive.

Say what you want about yesterday. Penalties hurt us sure. But they hurt us in other games too. Holy Cross is good. Yeah well UMASS isn’t. LSU and Troy were conference champions last year. Well so was UTSA. And to top all this off don’t forget we had a half vs Syracuse and vs Boston College where we were shut out.

PD
you keep blaming the scheme, yet every time you get asked to elaborate, the issue is really the offensive line, which is the same issue you brought up the past several years.
1 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

prideandream wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:14 am We scored no touchdowns against, now 2-8, ULM in game 1

PD
we lost to a horrible navy team two years ago with one of the most absurd offensive performances i've ever seen...with multiple weeks to prepare for that game. nearly lost to them again last year.

the horrible offensive performances the past several years, have been racking up, including last year. we nearly lost to the citadel in 2020, so lets not pretend like we threw out a highly productive offense

what exactly has our scheme been before this year? running a 5-7 qb off tackle 30 times a game and not scoring, while swapping quarterbacks multiple times in the middle of a drive?

if you want to say the offensive line has been bad, i agree, but that predates this year. if you want to blame turnovers, i agree. For all eternity, teams that turn the ball over tend to lose, and when they dont they tend to win.

When is the last time we hung 23 points on another service academy before this year? yesterday we pitched the ball better than i've seen us do since 2018. i saw this offense dominate a good UTSA team an entire game and a good syracuse team for an entire half. We are two dumb turnovers away from beating ULM and boston college and already being bowl eligible for the year with a service acacdemy victory under our belt. perhaps we've had a tough schedule, some tough injuries, and are trying to figure out a new offense at the same time?

there's a lot of things this team can improve on, but broadly blaming the "scheme" just makes it sound like you miss 2018 (i do too to be fair).
2 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

AF starting QB barely played against Hawaii. He is a track guy and really fast. I doubt their backups have his talent running the ball so that probably contributed to the loss vs Hawaii.
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

O line has been less than stellar. But so have passes, catches, and pitches. Perimeter blocking isn't great either. So execution is critical to any scheme. However the under center scheme focused on the dive, trap, triple and QB power this faster and has fewer negative plays. WE continue to have plays for a loss. And that's driven by the fact that, one, the ball starts deeper in the backfield and, two, because of the deep snap blocks have to be held and executed longer.

O line play was bad last year and not great the year before. But we also have other issues going on that are compounding our problems. Execution is bad but play design is also highly questionable and so it play calling. We have thrown inside the 10 yard line numerous times this year and not converted. That's bad play calling. We ran a 1 receiver pass play into the boundary against UMASS with 9 guys in protection and failed to complete it. That's a bad play call, a bad play design, and poor execution as Daily was still rushed on the play with 9 in pass pro.

Look you can challenge me all day but I've laid out many issues with what we do. Coaches without adequate expertise is the single biggest issue we face right now offensively. If they aren't superior and able to generate supreme execution in this scheme it will never work. Because talent wise most teams are as good and usually better. We need a schematic advantage on top of the execution.

So I ask you, what advantage does this scheme give us?

The proof is in the pudding. You might not like the 2021 A/N game. I don't like losing that one either but that was a 9-3 team that also beat Mizzou. Monken, Navy, and Air Force have all had a large amount of success with the old scheme. And I'm not saying that things were perfect last year. The o line play if you know what you are looking at was atrocious most of the time. But at least it moved the ball down the field and had us competitive. There has not been a single SA team with a winning season running something other than a run based under center option team in the last 40 years.

I've said this before, this isn't a rebuilding project. It's year 10 for monken. I expect him to field a competitive team every week. Even vs LSU. I expect we win more than we lose. I expect that we beat Navy and Air Force and I expect us to go to a bowl. He's mostly done that. But it's very clear this offense is a train wreck.

We scored 1 Touchdown vs Holy Cross and got stuffed on the 1 yard line in game 10.

You can keep "hoping" it's gonna get much better. I assure you it is not.

PD
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

PD
Silly P&D ...

We beat Air Force! And we can win the CIC! JM did great an TV! All is well! All is well!!

/sarc off.
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

Will our new offense require recruiting different athletes??Besides the FB position which is clearly not utilized as it was last year, I don’t see us changing the type position players we recruit on offense. Apparently our O line is much heavier this year but that doesn’t seem to be benefiting us. I would also suspect we need to recruit a better throwing QB although he still needs to be able to be an effective runner give the number of plays Daily’s number is called.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic