Is Troy looking?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
westcoastarmyfan
Warrior

Is Troy looking?

Post by westcoastarmyfan »

According to John Canzano, who has reported on the west coast and Pac FB for years, Calhoun was one of the seven coaches that Oregon State interviewed before selecting Trent Bray as their new HC.
0 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Re: Is Troy looking?

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

westcoastarmyfan wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:00 pm According to John Canzano, who has reported on the west coast and Pac FB for years, Calhoun was one of the seven coaches that Oregon State interviewed before selecting Trent Bray as their new HC.
Troy is from Oregon which likely made Oregon State a little more interesting than other jobs. I doubt he’s looking around much but this was a chance to go home.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

All coaches have egos. If they don't feel loved or worshipped, and I bet you troy is getting some serious blowback for going from 8-0 to 8-4, they will want to go somewhere else where they are loved and worshipped. And going closer to home never doesn't make sense. And doubling your salary is never a bad thing.

But....as we saw with Coach Ken and PJ....no matter how much success you have at a service academy, very few schools want to hire a service academy guy. Ken's was crazy successful and his only real option was BYU (which he probably would say he should have taken given his last few years at Navy) and when Arizona considered him, their own QB tweeted about it negatively. Monken, to the best of my knowledge, with all of his success has only been a true finalist one time (kansas) and that was partly because it was an off-cycle hire. PJ was able to leverage a P5 job (granted, a low level P5 job) and the fan base hated him alot of the time even though he was very successful especially compared to the replacements. If you recall, his replacement in the first spring game started under center in option, then they switched to shotgun, and the stadium cheered.

There are a few reasons why Ken was at navy for 16 years, Monken has been at Army for 10 years, calhoun at AF for 10 years.....but one big reason is that nobody else wanted them.
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Have a golf friend here in Tampa. usafa grad. Ret 1 star. Follows their football fortunes closely.

I'll just tell you that Calhoun is not universally liked among the alumni. Kinda strange to me, given all his success, but the observation stands. He's not a favorite son...
0 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

ARMORMAN wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:05 am Have a golf friend here in Tampa. usafa grad. Ret 1 star. Follows their football fortunes closely.

I'll just tell you that Calhoun is not universally liked among the alumni. Kinda strange to me, given all his success, but the observation stands. He's not a favorite son...
You can tell this is true just by lurking on their message board.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

FSUBulldog0 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:13 pm
ARMORMAN wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:05 am Have a golf friend here in Tampa. usafa grad. Ret 1 star. Follows their football fortunes closely.

You can tell this is true just by lurking on their message board.
Perhaps, but who'd want that mud on themselves...errr brief case smell.
1 x
BG
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

calhoun has had three ten win seasons in the past five years. 8 wins this year

i can't believe the fan base would want to get rid of him. but nothing would make me happier than seeing that program fall apart
1 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

Calhoun's problem is he's so aloof and not good with the media. Look none of these guys like that part of the job but Calhoun is particularly bad at making people feel good about.

Look at Deion at Colorado. They suck. And I mean that. they are a bad football team for lots of reasons but people love him!

Hard to find guys that can do it all. Steve Spurrier was one. Great Coach would could win on the field, in the locker room, and at the press conference. Saban and Smart are ok but very blunt. Winning fixes all their ills.

Being a great head coach takes a lot of different skills. Personally I think Monken does a pretty good job and represents West Point and Army really well. Just need him to win more this year!

Lastly look at Sean Lewis the new SDSU Head Coach and former Colorado OC and Kent State HC. That dude is energetic and well spoken and says all the right stuff. However has no real track record to be excited about him as a coach. People love the gift of gab. It wears off fast if you don't win.

PD
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

prideandream wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:50 pm Calhoun's problem is he's so aloof and not good with the media. Look none of these guys like that part of the job but Calhoun is particularly bad at making people feel good about.

Look at Deion at Colorado. They suck. And I mean that. they are a bad football team for lots of reasons but people love him!

Hard to find guys that can do it all. Steve Spurrier was one. Great Coach would could win on the field, in the locker room, and at the press conference. Saban and Smart are ok but very blunt. Winning fixes all their ills.

Being a great head coach takes a lot of different skills. Personally I think Monken does a pretty good job and represents West Point and Army really well. Just need him to win more this year!

Lastly look at Sean Lewis the new SDSU Head Coach and former Colorado OC and Kent State HC. That dude is energetic and well spoken and says all the right stuff. However has no real track record to be excited about him as a coach. People love the gift of gab. It wears off fast if you don't win.

PD
not to annoint myself the president of the sean lewis fan club, but he was 19-17 in conference at one of the toughest jobs in D1 and his out of conference schedule was BRUTAL way to start season. Last year he played Georgia, Oklohom and UW first 3 weeks of season. Hard to keep a locker room after starting off like that.

I think lewis will do very, very well at SD state.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

The answer is looking more like yes.

https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-sp ... 6.amp.html
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic