Three Weeks - What Did We Do With It?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ithurtstowatch
Warrior

Three Weeks - What Did We Do With It?

Post by ithurtstowatch »

I am hoping and praying that we spent it re-oiling our old under center triple option (UCTO) with a few tricks added for variety. Three weeks is enough time to really spend time in getting our UCTO running with those pitches we saw with the Coastal game. What did we do?

Stopping navy's offense is something I hope we can do in spades. Our defense has been really good over the past couple of games and I have watched Navy this year enough to know that their offense is stoppable.

I really, really want to see an Army navy game that has Army up by 28 points by halftime for once. I want to blow them out for once. I think we have the ability to do that this year. Let's see how we spent our three weeks of prep.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Re: Three Weeks - What Did We Do With It?

Post by kfan12 »

While I'm hoping we did something with it, we need to remember that Navy's D practices against the TO everyday. So I'm hopeful we've found new energy and will have more dynamici play calling, but I'm not betting we'll have 400 yards on the ground. Would be really good to have ZERO turnovers.
0 x
BG
Army Frog Fan
Warrior

Post by Army Frog Fan »

I'd love to se them come out in the old wishbone or something on the opening drive. Still the Triple option but a wrinkle that no one has really seen the past few decades.
0 x
Army Frog Fan
Warrior

Post by Army Frog Fan »

I'd love to se them come out in the old wishbone or something on the opening drive. Still the Triple option but a wrinkle that no one has really seen the past few decades.
0 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

I would like to see Army work on a passing game that can open things up for the running game. I think it's worth noting that the last time Army was able to run a sustained drive on the ground that resulted in six points vs Navy was in the first quarter of the 2019 game.

Army's rushing totals in the last 4 years vs, Navy

2019: 123 yards
2020: 134 yards
2021: 124 yards (almost half of which was Andersons TD run the first 5 minutes)
2022: 125 yards

I'm a bit concerned that the feeling might be that lining up under center is the "magic pill" that will keep the chains moving all day long. I'd love to be proven wrong, bit I just don't see it happening. For a program that relies so much on analytics, there has to be some low risk/high reward situations - 2nd down and 3 or less/3rd down and 2 or less - that can open things up for some big plays, which I believe will make the difference in who wins and who loses next week.
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

I think this year’s passing out of the gun proved we are not proficient at it in the least. Daily is more apt to hit a wide open route after we run the ball 20 consecutive times. We just don’t play to his strength when we call 10 passing plays a game. What will be interesting is if we are running the under center option and not doing well do we revert to the gun. Monken said his plan against CC was to use some Gun formations but we were doing so well under center they never went out of it.
0 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

Sorry for any confusion. I meant for Daily to throw from the under center formation, not from the gun. My bad.
0 x
Lusk2003
Warrior

Post by Lusk2003 »

USMAPAFAN wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:54 pm I think this year’s passing out of the gun proved we are not proficient at it in the least. Daily is more apt to hit a wide open route after we run the ball 20 consecutive times. We just don’t play to his strength when we call 10 passing plays a game. What will be interesting is if we are running the under center option and not doing well do we revert to the gun. Monken said his plan against CC was to use some Gun formations but we were doing so well under center they never went out of it.
great point. It seemed like all year we were trying to force an offensive scheme rather than utilizing our players strengths. Why would we continue to call a ton of pass plays knowing that’s not Bryson’s strength? Why continue to play out of the gun when our Oline can sustain blocks long enough to make a play? Why didn’t we use all of our best players? Specifically running backs?
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

I hope we are under center.
I hope we dominate between the guards.
I hope we never throw a single pass.
I hope we have zero negative plays.
I hope we have zero punts.
Hell I hope we never see a 4th down.
I hope there are no turnovers on either side.
I hope there are no penalties on either side.
I hope we run the fullback and 40 times (trap, dive, midline).
I hope we run QB power about 15 times.
I hope we run a true triple with a pitch about 12 times each side.
I hope we mix is up with about 10 counter plays.
I hope we only have four total drives and each one is 12 minutes long.
I hope Navy gets two possessions per half and they are 3 minute 3 and outs.
I hope our defense never loses their breath and has clean uniforms.
And I hope we beat them exactly 28-0.

Pure simple domination is what I hope for. No gifts from navy. No magic plays from us. Just an old fashioned ass whooping that their whole team just has to sit and watch. Along with all their fans.

This would be an almost ideal game for me. Then again I know all to well what I learned from Gen Sullivan about Hope!!

Realistically, I think we will go under center and run the ball and mix it up to try to gain some advantage. But we did that last year two and it made no difference because we executed both on the line and the throwing and catching part atrociously. Go back and watch the YouTube video of last year's game. We ran a good bit of gun. Almost exclusively the first two series and it wasn't any better.

Maybe, just maybe we line up like we did vs Coastal and just take control. Impose our will. Give everything we have for 60 minutes.

I expect this will be a hard fought game and the most desperate team has the best shot to win. I think that is us. These games are great because those young men give everything. Almost always that way.

Seven and a butt....

PD
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

I hope the coaching staff keeps in mind our offensive performance against Navy the past several years. The Navy D absolutely stoned the Army O in those games…as an earlier post pointed out…when we are gaining less than 150 yards on the ground, it’s not a good day.

We won last year due to special teams and a great performance in OT.

The 23 points against AF this year shows the value and potential the new offensive scheme can provide against some of our opponents, notably the other academies.

We caught CC by surprise. Navy won’t be surprised and has a very good D who also largely shut down AF’s attack earlier this season. If you think we can line up in last year’s offense and somehow magically dominate Navy, pass the pipe you’re smoking brother because that’s some strong stuff lol.

I hope we will mix it up a bit, but I think we need to focus on something close to what proved successful against AF.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic