2024 AAC opponents

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
rbmarmy
Warrior

Re: 2024 AAC opponents

Post by rbmarmy »

This is the new math, if you can't fill a 37,000 venue, then reduce the size to 30,000 and it will be filled. UAB not only does not turn me on but rather off. Lehigh may be the best game because we have friends that went there. Hopefully Syracuse will remain, great intra state competition. hopefully there is only 4 home games, because I don't think I can survive 7. seriously. Temple and Philly may be my away game. And wait till you see the push to sell tickets, or lose your priority!! Amen
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

For those complaining about the home slate of games the AAC provides, your argument would hold more water if past home slates were vastly superior...but looking back at them, I just don't see much difference or drop-off in quality.

To refresh your memory, here are the home games from the Monken era:

2014: Buffalo, Ball St, Rice, AF, UCONN, Fordham (0 P5 home games)
2015: Fordham, Wake Forest, Duke, Tulane, Rutgers (this year did have 2 P5 home games...don't think Rutgers was Big 10 in 2015 yet)
2016: Rice, Lafayette, North Texas AF, Morgan State
2017: Fordham, Buffalo, UTEP, Eastern Michigan, Temple, Duke (1 P5 home game)
2018: Liberty, U Hawaii, San Jose St, Miami (OH), AF, Lafayette, Colgate (0 P5 home games)
2019: Rice, Morgan St, Tulane, San Jose St, UMASS, VMI (0 P5 home games)
2020: Middle Tenn St U, UL Monroe, Abilene Christian, Citadel, Mercer, Ga Southern, AF (Navy was home too...but that was COVID year) (0 P5 home games)
2021: Western KY U, UCONN, Miami (OH), Wake Forest, Bucknell, UMASS (1 P5 home game)
2022: UTSA, Villanova, Ga St, Colgate, UL Monroe, UCONN (0 P5 home games)
2023: Delaware St, Boston College, Troy, UMASS, Holy Cross, Coastal Car (1 P5 home game)

So, out of the past 10 seasons, we've had a grand total of 4 of them where we hosted a P5 team at Michie and only 1 of those seasons where we hosted 2 (back in 2015 with WF and Duke).

Some of those past home opponents are in the AAC, so we'll see more them in the future (Temple, Rice, Tulane). I just don't see much difference in trading Eastern Michigan for East Carolina, or Middle Tenn State for Memphis, or Miami (OH) for Tulsa, etc.

I would imagine the schedulers will figure out how to keep some regional games like BC, Syracuse, UCONN, etc. on the schedule with home-home series in the future.

There are certainly pro's and con's to Army joining a conference. I just don't see the home schedule as being a reason Army shouldn't have joined a conference. It looks very much the same to me.
1 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

gabn92 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:49 pm For those complaining about the home slate of games the AAC provides, your argument would hold more water if past home slates were vastly superior...but looking back at them, I just don't see much difference or drop-off in quality.

2015: Fordham, Wake Forest, Duke, Tulane, Rutgers (this year did have 2 P5 home games...don't think Rutgers was Big 10 in 2015 yet)
2018: Liberty, U Hawaii, San Jose St, Miami (OH), AF, Lafayette, Colgate (0 P5 home games)
2020: Middle Tenn St U, UL Monroe, Abilene Christian, Citadel, Mercer, Ga Southern, AF (Navy was home too...but that was COVID year) (0 P5 home games)
2021: Western KY U, UCONN, Miami (OH), Wake Forest, Bucknell, UMASS (1 P5 home game)
2023: Delaware St, Boston College, Troy, UMASS, Holy Cross, Coastal Car (1 P5 home game)

So, out of the past 10 seasons, we've had a grand total of 4 of them where we hosted a P5 team at Michie and only 1 of those seasons where we hosted 2 (back in 2015 with WF and Duke).

Some of those past home opponents are in the AAC, so we'll see more them in the future (Temple, Rice, Tulane). I just don't see much difference in trading Eastern Michigan for East Carolina, or Middle Tenn State for Memphis, or Miami (OH) for Tulsa, etc.

I would imagine the schedulers will figure out how to keep some regional games like BC, Syracuse, UCONN, etc. on the schedule with home-home series in the future.

There are certainly pro's and con's to Army joining a conference. I just don't see the home schedule as being a reason Army shouldn't have joined a conference. It looks very much the same to me.
Great analysis but thats sorta my point. If we are going to play crappy teams, why lock ourselves into a sub-level conference? Why give up freedom to play different teams? We went from 12 options to 2
1 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

gabn92 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:49 pm For those complaining about the home slate of games the AAC provides, your argument would hold more water if past home slates were vastly superior...but looking back at them, I just don't see much difference or drop-off in quality.

I think the 2024 slate was going to be pretty good, but was also going to be an outlier. 2025 schedule (which won't come true now but is still up on FBSschedules.com) included Marist, Liberty, UConn, UMass, and Lafayette.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I absolutely dislike joining the AAC. We are doing this garbage for reasons that do not even exist in reality. Just look at all these garbage teams we will play year after year and after year. This is the most boring of bores. The reason we are joining is we cannot fill a schedule. There is hardly a team out there, if given the opportunity to play us, would jump all over us not to schedule us at any time.
So, we beat these rag tag teams and win a half- baked metal trophy. So what!!! To me, it won't mean a damn thing. Just about all of them are low tier FBS teams existing only for the opportunity to play in a half- baked bowl.
We will certainly draw noting from these schools to Michie as far as fans are concerned. Do you really think teams from distant states will flock to West Point from places like Tulsa, Birmingham or South Florida?
No way but we are putting up an over baked addition to the east stands that will not put more butts in those new seats except those heavy hitters willing to fork over those dollars for upstairs club seats.
We peons will still sit in those north and south seats much needed after 100 years for an overhaul.
The administration doesn't care if those seats are full or half empty because the conference tv deal will cover any lost revenue that may occur in the place.
They are not increasing the capacity (what for ?) at all but merely satisfying the egos of the guys paying for it. Their names will be on a wall somewhere and where we can all gape at that while we trudge to our aluminum seats and soak up that rain which is sure to come.
To me, the whole project is a waste of money especially the fact that they are not going to repair anything that needs repair on that old 100 year place.
We join a lousy league, we build half a monument and let the rest go to hell. Chunks of concrete are falling down on the west stands so what do they do? They put up netting to prevent "bolders" falling down on the fans sitting on the lower deck. What a bunch of donkey dust.
It certainly does not represent the best of a FBS program. Put the money where it will do best good.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

thedoc85 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:15 pm And mind you----for UTSA----word is that Frank Harris will finally end his 22 year career.
I think AF has a dozen or so guys in that boat, leaving after about five and a half years. They may struggle a bit next year. UTSA may as well.
0 x
BG
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

WrekDivr wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:44 pm Here is a quick look of where CBS Sports had them ranked on 12/5 (their latest):

Army (pre Navy win): 97

Only two teams on the list are ranked higher:

UTSA: 47
Rice: 94

North Texas is close to Army at 98

The rest are all ranked in the 100’s
UAB: 110
FAU: 112
Tulsa: 117
Temple: 125
ECU: 128

Things can change pretty dramatically from one season to the next, but there are no teams on this list we can’t beat. We beat UTSA (highest ranked of the AAC teams we play next year) at their place this year and get them at home in 2024.

Could be an exciting year if our O takes a significant step forward. They will need to as we are losing a lot of Firsties on D.
I don't think you can rank any team from year to year anymore> With the Transfer Portal, all you have to do is bring in 15 or so studs, and PESTO, you got a contender.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I'm on pins and needles waiting for Florida Atlantic. What a game it will be. A true rivalry in the making, And Tulsa!! It makes my spine tingle in expectation!. North Texas. Them again?
ON and on and on. Year after year. Oh, the joy of it all.
Better buy my tickets now to avoid the crush on game day.
Not only that, but we will also have an unobstructed view of Lusk. That will be an add on joy along with the action on the field from teams of the AAC. Man, could you have it better than all that ?
There is even a possibility that you can even buy a hamburger under the West stands next year!
All this for the low, low- ticket price of 75 bucks. You know. Inflation.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

I can remember a year where there wasn’t a good about of complaining about our schedule: ours was too easy and Navy was going to be better than us because of a tougher league schedule; it’s too hard with too many P5 schools, too many FCS games. Whatever.

I’m pretty happy with our first AAC schedule. Not a game on it we can’t win. Right now, there is no reason we can’t win every game on our 2024 schedule. That may be challenged if ND is added, but I see a potentially awesome year where we may challenge being ranked.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Got my bags packed and I'm shufflin' off to Oklahoma !!!
I can't wait for this one.
Duck bumps are already forming on my legs and arms.
It will be the most exciting, spirited and enjoyable game of 2024. It will earn plaudits from the media and joy to the fans who attend. And, who doesn't like to play Oklahoma? Everybody does.

What? Tulsa? Not Oklahoma?

Oh.

Cancel my ticket. :?
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic