We've just lost Champ Harris and Tano Letuli

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
wpgrad
Warrior

Re: We've just lost Champ Harris and Tano Letuli

Post by wpgrad »

Dong Fong '09 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:47 pm Best of luck. Was hoping he would put on a few pounds and develop the next two years for us.

I’m always curious what the opportunities are out there. West Point is often the only place a lot of these kids can actually play quarterback at at the D1 level (like daily). Wouldn’t be surprised if champ Harris never got the chance to play another meaningful snap at the D1 level again, but I hope he goes off and does well.
With this portal stuff, I think we are seeing a few different things. For many reasons (injury, playing time, lack of interest in serving, grades) we are seeing players leave. But, the list of players that left AF, Navy or Army where they were not starters and then emerged somewhere else and succeeded is not a very long list at all. Most recently, Navy had a linebacker that transferred to TCU and played, but that player was a starter at Navy. Adkins played a good amount for us, and has played sparingly at UCLA.

Alston will have many opportunities, but he was a starter. Not sure the same will be said about others but...they might be entering the portal because they have to (grades, not wanting to serve) as opposed to wanting to (trying to play at P5 school)

I wish all players good luck in their very short window to play college sports, but if you aren't good enough to get on the field at Army and weren't highly recruited out of high school, I don't see many examples of that player then having success elsewhere.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic