Worley Promoted to Offensive Coordinator

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ithurtstowatch
Warrior

Re: Worley Promoted to Offensive Coordinator

Post by ithurtstowatch »

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic but I won't get too excited until I see it.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

I expect there will be more news to come here as many have speculated. I like what JM is saying about being different and therefore hard to prepare for. It definitely sounds like a move more toward under center TO, but how far is not clear. At least it is reason for some optimism going into next year.
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

For my part, I couldn't be more excited! No reservations here. This is prezackly the right move! Get back under center, run smash-mouth power football, control the clock, and return to the days when opponents HATE playing Army because "it's like going to war." I also endorse JM's plan to keep a gun in the holster and use it to create confusion or when we're behind the chains.

It hasn't been said with this announcement, but it's obviously implied:

The cut block rules do NOT prohibit or even inhibit an under-center triple. Obviously, that was demonstrated personally and emphatically against Coastal. We can zone block that scheme just as well, except for the perimeter, where our slots and WR's just need to get in the way of tacklers instead of cuttin' em. And I don't buy that "Coastal just weren't prepared"....You can prepare all you want, but if we're running an effective triple, the way it's designed, with Worley calling plays inside and outside and Daily reading the D, you can't stop it. You don't know who's getting the ball 'cause Daily doesn't even know until the D reacts. And it's on you FAST.

This change is maybe JM's greatest attribute: He's enough of a man to admit a mistake and take bold action to correct things. Thatcher's gun misfired all year, as P&D has documented over and over. We lost 5 in a row. SHUT OUT 3 times. Wait, what??? Yep. We never controlled the clock. We looked disorganized and ineffective. The players, bless their hearts, tried their best but you bled for them. They were playing without an EDGE. Trying to run the same offense as teams with more and better talent....

So we go back to the future; punch 'em in the mouth and keep a gun in the holster!

BUT, we need to recruit and coach up an O line! Preferably "long guys", as JM loves to describe em. 6' 5" or more with frames like Allehandro or Toth. Guys who can zone block the crap out of a D line, and create a crease. Take the defender where he's leaning, and then ball carriers just follow the numbers on the O line blocker's back, right?

Here's the best part:

We are BUILT TO RUN this offense NOW. Bryson Daily is maybe the best we've had to run an under center triple. Perfect linebacker build and mindset. He's Bradshaw with a bit more arm. He's Hopkins with way more power. He's McAda with more speed. Just hope we can back him up with potential replacements if/when he gets dinged up. I don't care that we lost Harris and Robinson. They're not built for our triple and better off elsewhere. I'd love to see us grab someone from the D like Jim Young did with Sassaman. Find a hard-nose safety and make him your QB. Most of those guys probably played some QB in HS anyway... Behind Daily, I love Reed and Odoh. These guys run with BOTH inside power and elusiveness. And on the slot? How bout T-Rob at full speed!!?? Finally, in the gun we've got a pair of young WR's with good hands and decent speed. Besides them, T-Rob has the best hands on the team and is always a threat on the wheel...

I can't wait! Spring training can't get here soon enough!!

PS
Nate's got some large shoes to fill on D, especially in the secondary....sure hope we've got some good talent coming up.
Last edited by ARMORMAN on Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

ARMORMAN wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:29 am For my part, I couldn't be more excited! No reservations here. This is prezackly the right move! Get back under center, run smash-mouth power football, control the clock, and return to the days when opponents HATE playing Army because "it's like going to war." I also endorse JM's plan to keep a gun in the holster and use it to create confusion or when we're behind the chains.

It hasn't been said with this announcement, but it's obviously implied:

The cut block rules do NOT prohibit or even inhibit an under-center triple. Obviously, that was demonstrated personally and emphatically against Coastal. We can zone block that scheme just as well, except for the perimeter, where our slots and WR's just need to get in the way of tacklers instead of cuttin' em. And I don't buy that "Coastal just weren't prepared"....You can prepare all you want, but if we're running an effective triple, the way it's designed, with Worley calling plays inside and outside and Daily reading the D, you can't stop it. You don't know who's getting the ball 'cause Daily doesn't even know until the D reacts. And it's on you FAST.

This change is maybe JM's greatest attribute: He's enough of a man to admit a mistake and take bold action to correct things. Thatcher's gun misfired all year, as P&D has documented over and over. We lost 5 in a row. SHUT OUT 3 times. Wait, what??? Yep. We never controlled the clock. We looked disorganized and ineffective. The players, bless their hearts, tried their best but you bled for them. They were playing without an EDGE. Trying to run the same offense as teams with more and better talent....

So we go back to the future; punch 'em in the mouth and keep a gun in the holster!

BUT, we need to recruit and coach up an O line! Preferably "long guys", as JM loves to describe em. 6' 5" or more with frames like Allehandro or Toth. Guys who can zone block the crap out of a D line, and create a crease. Take the defender where he's leaning, and then backs just follow the numbers on their back, right?

Here's the best part:

We are BUILT TO RUN this offense NOW. Bryson Daily is maybe the best we've had to run an under center triple. Perfect linebacker build and mindset. He's Bradshaw with a bit more arm. He's Hopkins with way more power. He's McAda with more speed. Just hope we can back him up with potential replacements if/when he gets dinged up. I don't care that we lost Harris and Robinson. They're not built for our triple and better off elsewhere. I'd love to see us grab someone from the D like Jim Young did with Sassaman. Find a hard-nose safety and make him your QB. Most of those guys probably played some QB in HS anyway... Behind Daily, I love Reed and Odoh. These guys run with BOTH inside power and elusiveness. And on the slot? How bout T-Rob at full speed!!?? Finally, in the gun we've got a pair of young WR's with good hands and decent speed. Besides them, T-Rob has the best hands on the team and is always a threat on the wheel...

I can't wait! Spring training can't get here soon enough!!

PS
Nate's got some large shoes to fill on D, especially in the secondary....sure hope we've got some good talent coming up.
Monken in a phone interview did say he wants to do both under center and out of gun. The key will be us remaining unpredictable regardless of formation

To your point about the defense. Losing a lot of guys, but if our offense works as expected, that will ne our defenses best friend.
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Yes, he said he'll use both under center and gun, but I personally believe that we can and will still run a form of triple option offense in BOTH formations. The under center comes at you FAST, and when we're in short yardage, it's tailor made for Reed or Odoh. It wears you down and wears you out... The gun gives Daily more time to READ, and then go slow ride or QB zone or whatever, but with still the option to pitch or even throw short....

I'm lovin it.
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

Massive kudos to JM for taking responsibility and acknowledging this year’s shortcomings. Can’t wait to see the mixture of offenses he comes up with. We have exactly the right QB to run the under center stuff. This solidifies in my mind that JM is the right guy at the right time. Most NCAA coaches would let ego get in the way of this reversal. And they would suffer through more seasons of what we saw this year. No time for anyone to gloat. Give credit where it is due. And look forward to next year!
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Since half this board thought monken switched offenses to get a new job, does this mean he’s not leaving anymore?
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

Not going anywhere at 6-6 in back to back years with no bowls and an offense that scored 2 touchdowns or less in 7 of 9 FBS games and at one point went 159 minutes without a touchdown.

PD
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I don't blame coach at all for looking to pursue a better power 5 job . It is a dilemma for him. On one hand there is more compensation to be made yet again he loves the academy and has a chance to be the all-time winning coach at a nations service academy.
The problem is no fan base wants to implore a TO offense and unless he can produce a couple of 11-1 teams shortly, his value elsewhere is very limited. He is still a TO coach with experience.
What one desires sometimes becomes unavailable.
Tough road to hoe and entering a conference which will be difficult anyway, he would be better off staying and try to produce at WP again what he accomplished the first half of his career in coaching.
Maybe someday a nice bronze statue of Blaik and Monken side by side outside of the new east stands as the two winningest coaches at WP. Would not that be great? A beautiful legacy for both. :)
Dreams are made of this.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic