Coaching Updates

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Coaching Updates

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

https://army.rivals.com/news/2024-army- ... ff-updates

Jeff Monken Head Coach
Cody Worley Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Nate Woody Defensive Coordinator
Sean Saturino Special Teams Coordinator
John Loose Assistant Head Coach/Outside Linebacker
Mike Viti Assistant Head Coach for Offense/Offense Line
Sean Cronin Defensive Line
Daryl Dixon Defensive Pass Game Coordinator/Cornerbacks
Matt Drinkall Offensive Line
Blake Powers Tight Ends
Aaron Smith Wide Receivers
Drew Thatcher H-Backs
Danny Verpaele Safeties
Justin Weaver Inside Linebackers
Collin Shank Defensive Quality Control
Tristan Yeomans Offensive Quality Control
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Re: Coaching Updates

Post by ARMORMAN »

Great to see it officially. Worley will be an exceptional OC!

Also answers a few speculations; namely Drinkall remaining at O line coach, together with Viti, and Thatcher now H backs. (Uh, btw....what is an H back in a triple option?....asking for a friend) Hope and trust that all works out...like I and many have said before, the O line is EVERYTHING for us...

Just for grins, I reviewed the 2024 Team roster. We have a lot of size and some decent experience among underclassmen in the O line and D lines, which is comforting. Even though we graduated a lot of seniors, there's reason for optimism going forward this year. In the defensive backers and secondary we also have a lot of guys on the roster. Hopefully they step up, cause big shoes to fill for Lowen, Nicholas-Paul, Moore, Hammond, etc. I like Didomenico, Gerena and Fortner to build around though! (Together with Daily and Robinson from the offense, possible 2024 team captains, imho....)
Last edited by ARMORMAN on Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Lusk2003
Warrior

Post by Lusk2003 »

It takes a humble man (or in this case, men) to take a step back and work for someone who used to work for you. Hopefully everyone is on the same page that this is the best move for the Army team and we don’t let egos get in the way. I too am wondering why H-back for Thatcher?
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Guessing it's maybe part of the gun scheme, which we hopefully use sparingly.....
0 x
Lusk2003
Warrior

Post by Lusk2003 »

Might be a made up position assuming he was on a multi year contract
0 x
Coach MC
Warrior

Post by Coach MC »

Could the H-back be the slotbacks or maybe any running back in the triple option?? I don't know.
Not surprised Coach Thatcher is still with us, albeit it in a different capacity. Hard to ask coaches to pack up their families and move to another part of the country, and then cut them loose after one season. Kudos to JM for keeping him and moving the staff around a bit to try and maximize the on field product.
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

100%

(Btw, for what it's worth, Thatcher has been an "H back" coach before, at New Mexico Military....)
Last edited by ARMORMAN on Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Bigger surprise to me is keeping the same O-line coaches who really haven't gotten it done the past three seasons, IMO. Viti must have some really good connections.
0 x
BG
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

It's a decent point. The MOB has underperformed. Hoping that it's not the definition of insanity...
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Thatcher may be really good at what he does, we may never know. I think it is insane to believe that in one year you are going to install a new offense, with all that requires, while keeping two guys coaching your offensive line who weren't getting it done with an offense they knew and expect to win while those two are learning how to teach the O line what are significantly different blocking principles. That is one of the big reasons Army had huge gaps along the O line when they tried to run early in the season. We had linemen two-three yards across the line of scrimmage before the ball carrier got there, giving up tackles while our linemen looked for someone to block at the second level...quite often not touching anyone. Just doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me.
1 x
BG
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic