College Football Video Game

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
gabn92
Warrior

Re: College Football Video Game

Post by gabn92 »

I don't understand the NIL restrictions with cadets and midshipmen. I recall the regs being focused on 2 main concerns about outside employment/earnings:

1) Conflict of interest
2) Conflict with duties/responsibilities

Those are legitimate concerns for the military. No outside employment or earnings should ever create a situation where loyalty to the Constitution, the Nation or the military could be compromised or questioned. LIkewise, no outside employment or earnings should create a situation where full and satisfactory completion of one's military duties would be compromised.

What other legitimate concern could the military have with a member of the military earning money from an outside source? If they could be transparent about it, get it approved by the chain of command to ensure no conflict of interest or conflict with performance of duties...then why couldn't a cadet earn NIL money?

I'm quite confident that the Academies could set some parameters around NIL to ensure the above so that the player(s) could still serve successfully as cadets and meet all their academic, military and athletic responsibilities...while still earning some NIL money. The $600/player for this video game seems like a no-brainer. How would that money create a conflict of interest or a compromise to their duties?

The Academies need to figure out a common-sense way ahead with this policy, or it will become just one more deterrent to remaining competitive. There has to be some reasonable compromises and common-sense solutions that could be put in place to safeguard the legitimate concerns of the military services while also allowing some NIL benefit to the players. This is what leaders do....figure out how to deal with changes to the environment and not just rely on closed-mindedness and inflexibility because "that's what the regs say". Come on West Point...we produce leaders who are supposed to be able to think critically...put that into place and figure something out that makes sense here.
2 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

Yeah the video game especially- they don’t have to even do anything or promote anything. It’s just “your school is in the game- here’s 600 dollars.”
1 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

To be fair they don't have to really do anything for any NIL money. These collectives are paying guys across the board in many places.

I don't know that we will ever get around the conflicts of interest or the idea that money could really subvert an officers intentions. However, I do wonder if it would be possible to delay payments like a fund that pays out once service is completed. I'm sure that has challenges and or issues as well. But imagine a world where monies were going into an account that was invested and managed and then 5, 10, 20 years later you are given access once your service is over. I'm sure this idea has a thousand issues and challenges but you can't hide the fact that these players do generate revenue and they aren't taking part in that revenue.

Would love to see a novel solution to all this for the academies but even then I think College Football as we know it will end in the near future once players get access to the true revenue streams like TV, Ticket Sales, Merchandise, etc. There is currently a class action suit moving forward that is suing for those revenues. If it goes the same way as the NIL suit it will be game over for true student athletes I think

PD
0 x
Army Frog Fan
Warrior

Post by Army Frog Fan »

Over 10k players have already opted in to be in the game.
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

gabn92 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:42 am I don't understand the NIL restrictions with cadets and midshipmen. I recall the regs being focused on 2 main concerns about outside employment/earnings:

1) Conflict of interest
2) Conflict with duties/responsibilities

Those are legitimate concerns for the military. No outside employment or earnings should ever create a situation where loyalty to the Constitution, the Nation or the military could be compromised or questioned. LIkewise, no outside employment or earnings should create a situation where full and satisfactory completion of one's military duties would be compromised.

What other legitimate concern could the military have with a member of the military earning money from an outside source? If they could be transparent about it, get it approved by the chain of command to ensure no conflict of interest or conflict with performance of duties...then why couldn't a cadet earn NIL money?

I'm quite confident that the Academies could set some parameters around NIL to ensure the above so that the player(s) could still serve successfully as cadets and meet all their academic, military and athletic responsibilities...while still earning some NIL money. The $600/player for this video game seems like a no-brainer. How would that money create a conflict of interest or a compromise to their duties?

The Academies need to figure out a common-sense way ahead with this policy, or it will become just one more deterrent to remaining competitive. There has to be some reasonable compromises and common-sense solutions that could be put in place to safeguard the legitimate concerns of the military services while also allowing some NIL benefit to the players. This is what leaders do....figure out how to deal with changes to the environment and not just rely on closed-mindedness and inflexibility because "that's what the regs say". Come on West Point...we produce leaders who are supposed to be able to think critically...put that into place and figure something out that makes sense here.
What about cadets that have enough money to invest on their own? There was a guy when I was there who made a ton investing in Jiffy Lube. That was allowed (how could it not be?). What's the difference if everyone whose NIL are used in a video game gets some money?

Makes ZERO sense.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

There is only one way to deal with all of this NIL and Transfer portal business in college football so it becomes fair and equitable for ALL of the participating members of the NCAA--

Get rid of it and return to the day when college athletes were truly amateurs. No pay , no money for any player. If you don't like it, don't play, or earn a scholarship to play if you want to.

Education first and sports second. Otherwise don't go to college or if you desire, try for the pros after high school if you think you are good enough.

True, I'm old school but to avoid all this current nonsense, scrap the system.
0 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

RABBLE wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:05 pm There is only one way to deal with all of this NIL and Transfer portal business in college football so it becomes fair and equitable for ALL of the participating members of the NCAA--

Get rid of it and return to the day when college athletes were truly amateurs. No pay , no money for any player. If you don't like it, don't play, or earn a scholarship to play if you want to.

Education first and sports second. Otherwise don't go to college or if you desire, try for the pros after high school if you think you are good enough.

True, I'm old school but to avoid all this current nonsense, scrap the system.
There’s no way to do that. You can’t just “go back”. There’s been court cases, lawsuits, and settlements. College sports hasn’t been a truly “amateur” thing in at least 50 years. Not since everyone but the students started getting rich off of it.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic