CFP Expansion Potential Impact on Army Navy

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

CFP Expansion Potential Impact on Army Navy

Post by WrekDivr »

Looks like the Army Navy game may share the day with some bowl games. Don’t worry, though, Chet says we will never move the game. Probably means he is negotiating a move now. Buddie sounds more realistic, though it sounds like there are a lot of moving parts. Perhaps AFF can get MB on another podcast to discuss the situation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-cfp-expan ... is%20month.
0 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Re: CFP Expansion Potential Impact on Army Navy

Post by neumanna1 »

Seems like there's 2 issues addressed in the article.
1. Factoring in the Army-Navy game if the winner is potentially in play for the final playoff spot (Highest ranked Group of 5 Champion). That one seems a little muddier.

2. Potentially having other Bowl Games played on the same day as Army-Navy. From what I gathered (correct me if I'm wrong), those wouldn't be CFP games, but the games that usually start the following Saturday. So 6-6 teams and teams from the MAC and Sun Belt basically. If that's the case, I can't see those games being scheduled directly against Army-Navy, and if they are, I can't see them actually hurting the game's ratings or anything.I wouldn't think it's a huge deal if there's a game at 11AM and a game at 7PM or something.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Both Army and Navy need to come to terms with the fact that the A-N game isn't viable in the time slot we have played it the past 15 years as the final game of the season. It was a great run for these past 15 years, from attention/exposure and financially. But, with expanded CFP (and going to 14 teams it looks like in just 2 years), plus conference membership in the AAC, we're fighting momentum to keep the game in mid-December. For the vast majority of the history of the A-N game, it wasn't played as the stand-alone final game of the season...that's recent history, just the last 15 years.

It's stupid that the game doesn't count as a conference game. And if A and N ever managed to both go to the conference championship, it's ridiculous that the teams would play again the next week.

It's time to move the game to the last regular season game for both teams. In the event both teams are competing for a birth in the conference championship game, then the stakes are even higher as the loser probably gets bumped from that opportunity. Yes, the game will have to compete with other games on "rivalry weekend", but it's enough of a draw nationally that it will compete well for a prime time slot on a major network. The added revenues from conference membership helps mitigate some of the lost TV revenues by not having the game as a stand-alone game.
2 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

My guess, and its only a guess and I am wrong half the time anyway, is that the A-N game is going to get moved to thanksgiving weekend when the current CBS contract runs out. Maybe a friday event that gets highly publicized on thanksgiving TV.

I think that will happen due to the CFP expansion and bowl games, and I think with Army and Navy in the same conference it is sort of stupid to not have that game count towards a conference game AND the risk that we play the A-N game two weeks in a row if they are also playing in the AAC championship.

For Army and Navy, they get the benefit of an extra game each year if the game is counted as one of their conference games.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Great point about the added benefit of getting one additional non-conference game each year if Navy counts as a conference game! The way it is right now, it's 8 conference games + AF and Navy + 1 FCS + (presumably) 1 P5 "big boy". If Navy counts as a conference game, Army could add another P5 game or maybe a "oeer: FBS team.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

JM commented on the potential CFP expansion impact on Army Navy. While he hopes the game will continue to be the only FBS that day, “when the schedule the game, we will show up,”

https://www.si.com/college/group-five/a ... -navy-game
0 x
OptionThis
Warrior

Post by OptionThis »

Good idea to move the A/N Game to Thanksgiving weekend for the fans, but how will the cadets/mids feel about being directed to Philadelphia or wherever on the day after the Holiday ?
0 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

OptionThis wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:05 am Good idea to move the A/N Game to Thanksgiving weekend for the fans, but how will the cadets/mids feel about being directed to Philadelphia or wherever on the day after the Holiday ?
It will prepare them for abrupt moves in the military.
0 x
21-17!
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

Oliphant wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:40 pm
OptionThis wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:05 am Good idea to move the A/N Game to Thanksgiving weekend for the fans, but how will the cadets/mids feel about being directed to Philadelphia or wherever on the day after the Holiday ?
It will prepare them for abrupt moves in the military.
It is a great opportunity to hone the "bitching" skills!
1 x
LoneStarPhan
Warrior

Post by LoneStarPhan »

I really like the idea of making the Army-Navy game the final league game for both Army and Navy every year. But Army may have missed out on a chance to get this approved by the AAC when they were negotiating their entry into the league. Of course, they make not want this and maybe Navy doesn't want it, but to me, it makes great sense.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic