The Schedule is out

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
OptionThis
Warrior

The Schedule is out

Post by OptionThis »

Featuring 6 games at Michie and an away Thursday night game @ Temple.

https://goarmywestpoint.com/sports/foot ... edule/2024
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Re: The Schedule is out

Post by wpgrad »

I don't like being in the AAC but this conference has 2 good bye slots before AF and ND and it is definitely 8 winnable games in conference. I still think we are gonna get sick of playing UAB and Tulsa year after year with no flexibility to play ANY team in Georgia (our number 1 recruiting state) and no west coast games and things like that......but.....that ship has sailed.
1 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

Someone pointed out on Twitter that we play 3 straight games in September against teams named the Owls.

As a season ticket holder, I'm happy there's only 1 home game after November 2nd. Yeah it's later than prior years (11/30), but the last 7-8 years (probably longer but that's how long I've had tickets) have usually been good for 2 mid-November home games.
0 x
hammerdown
Warrior

Post by hammerdown »

UTSA on 11/30 is Thanksgiving weekend. The game will be played without
the Cadets at the game.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

hammerdown wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:17 pm UTSA on 11/30 is Thanksgiving weekend. The game will be played without
the Cadets at the game.
I wondered about that. No cadets? No parade?
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

The schedule is what it is. Of course, I was not pleased with this conference affiliation much at all. We are faced with playing the majority of our schedule playing the same teams over and over again. After awhile , this exercise will become boring and the excitement of playing new teams at different vistas on a yearly basis will become mostly unenjoyable to many of us.
In my opinion only, these schedules will become repetitive and not fan friendly.
Since today, college football is all about the money and TV deals. West Point will make money and that all counts in the scheme of things these days but for the fans, a steady diet of Birmingham, Tulsa and Charlotte and the other conference teams makes little enthusiasm and expectation for me. But the academy obviously cares little for the fans anymore but just the bottom line.
After a year or three, attendance will drop , Michie will be half empty and the interest will drop. We build a new east stand with nobody sitting in those seats except the cadets and the hefty priced upstairs loge boxes will be empty.
Just my little forecast which means nothing and something I wont live long enough to see at my age but that fact will never take away the memories I have of the great years watching the team play other teams from around the nation, from Hawai'i to Boston. Remember , we once were AMERICA'S TEAM. From now on, we are becoming another AAC MEMBER. That is what MONEY represents.
Army Football was an amazing institution, a culture and a "home base" for me of sorts.
With this move guys, you tell me what it is from now on.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Rab, just don’t get your concern here. Yes, we are in a league and will be playing teams in that league, but there are currently 12 other teams (excluding Navy as that is non-conference) we could play. We play 8 of them this year. Assuming an even rotation, we would play 4 new teams next year and play 4 teams for the second time. By the end of the 3rd year, we would have played all teams twice. Assuming once at home and once away, you would see each team at Michie once every 3 years. That just doesn’t sound like playing the same guys over and over to me. They might not be teams you like, but it’s not the same guys every year.

If you look at our schedule over the last 5 years, we have played 10 teams multiple times: UTSA (4), UMass (4), ULM (3), Georgia State (3), Coastal Carolina (2), Troy (2), Tulane (2), UConn (2), Wake Forest (2), and Western Kentucky (2).

If those games are in the same 8 slots that the AAC is now filling each year (excludes Navy, AF, FCS, “Big Guys”), we have filled 26 of 40 slots with teams we played multiple times.

If we regret our decision to join a conference, it won’t be because we play the same guys every year.
1 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

I am with Rab. I know this ship has sailed, but I MUCH preferred the variety we had long term from our scheduling. yes, if you look in a 5-year window you see the same teams but thats because teams do home and homes. If you look over a 10-15 year window, it so much nicer to have an independent schedule.

Our number 1 recruiting state has been Georgia and now we will have zero games in Georgia. we no longer play ANY games west of texas except Air Force like we have this decade at San Diego State and San Jose State.. We are basically giving up on half the country in terms of (a) exposing a city to Army and (b) telling a california recruit hey we will play your sophomore year in california.

I'm beating a dead horse here but the idea "we couldn't get games" was a bunch of BS and just last month the AD said they had a full schedule through 2032. I hate this move.

But, hey, maybe Army - Tulsa can be our next big rivalry game (quick, what is tulsa's mascot because I bet 99% of army fans have no clue)
0 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

No idea. How does one dress himself up to look like a Golden Hurricane?
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

If you go back 15 years and take 8 conference games X 15 seasons you get 120 games that the AAC would take up. During the last 15 years we have played 122 games with repeat opponents (excluding AF and Navy). There were 8 teams that we have played 5+ times.

I understand that there are teams and locations we like or dislike, but I’ve felt like we’ve been playing the same teams for a while now. The 2 FCS teams each year have also hurt us.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic