DUTY< HONOR < COUNTRY

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
rbmarmy
Warrior

Re: DUTY< HONOR < COUNTRY

Post by rbmarmy »

A million men in olive drab and kaki green are indeed rising from their hollowed graves and echoing those hollowed words DUTY HONOR COUNTRY
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

As I stood on that sacred piece of land on Omaha Beach and its cemetery a few years ago on my visit to that hallowed sandy ground with Point du Hoc in the background, I thought of the same quote of Douglas MacArthur on his very last visit to West Point with his now famous speech with the cadets back in 1962.
It was a moment I will never forget.
DUTY> HONOR> COUNTRY>
Mission, motto or whatever you want to call it ,it is the very essence of what all veterans of the military should embrace who have served in or out of combat. My thanks will endure forever.
The words might change but my feelings will never change.
Yes, this is a football forum. Let it be so but Patriotism will always be number one in all our hearts when it all really counts.
1 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

I agree there are some problems with wokeism at the Academy. I'm not a fan of the current Supe...I left my 30th class reunion a few years ago disturbed by what I observed from him.

However, I don't see the mission statement change as being an example of wokeism or worthy of the uproar. The motto remains unchanged. The words DUTY HONOR COUNTRY were not even part of the mission statement until 1998...was West Point "woke" before adding them then?

The motto is unchanged and is a great summary of what West Point is all about...exactly what a motto should do. Repeating the motto in the mission statement seems unnecessary to me. Removing it allows the institution to use roughly the same amount of words to convey additional meaning to the various audiences that need to read, know and understand the mission.

How about that Army lacrosse team?!

What's the latest from spring football?

Beat Navy!
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

A great example of our guvment in action!

One would *think* that the leadership of the Academy had more pressing items than to find things to change just for the sake of changing them. I was not a fan of changing "The Corps" but I certainly understood why it was changed. I just don't see the point here ... removing DHC from the mission, but they saying that DHC is included in the Army mission? Then why make the change??

Maybe the Supe is trying to solidify his legacy? I wonder how many focus groups they called in to analyze this change?

Seriously, how about working to fix bigger issues?
Last edited by ArmorDude on Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Much ado about nothing. No change to the motto.
0 x
dochinger28
Warrior

Post by dochinger28 »

I’m not a grad, wasn’t an officer, but I served in combat under West Point officers both good and bad. I pray that the main focus will always be to protect our most precious asset which is our young people in uniform by when God forbid duty calls will inflict massive damage to our enemies.

Beat Navy
0 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

The fact they revised the mission statement this year to remove those words was a tactical decision.

American history is being rewritten.
0 x
21-17!
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Just checked my bugle notes, issued in the 70’s, and Duty, Honor, Country does not appear in WP’s mission.

I say again, much ado about nothing. Duty, Honor, Country was the motto then and is the motto now.

Unpress the panic button and rest easy.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Given the Supe sent a letter out to grads, I assume the AOG list, wondering if there wasn't a press release that caused this to hit the news as it did.
0 x
BG
madjackv48
Warrior

Post by madjackv48 »

If Wrekdvr and wpgrad are really grads, close the place up. Those two, and a few others, wave their wands and pause to pose authoritatively. This IS a big deal, but you are unable to discern the reasons. And boys, it has everything to do with football, as well as every other element of Academy life. And incidentally, boys, your comments on football matters have been equally puerile.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic