DUTY< HONOR < COUNTRY

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Pokey92
Warrior

Re: DUTY< HONOR < COUNTRY

Post by Pokey92 »

Hey madjackv48 - this is empirically NOT a big deal.
- Duty, Honor, Country has not been in the mission statement for 196 out of 222 years West Point's existence
- That equates to 11.7% where it WAS in the mission statement.

It has been the motto...it continues to be the motto.

Mission statements change....they will continue to change.

On the topic of puerile....you do seem to have a firm grasp on "childishly silly and trivial" since you are now trying to gatekeep on what is a "good grad".

As for disagreeing on football issues, well, THAT is what this board is all about! If you want total agreement, get a dog and talk to them about your football opinions. They won't argue with you.
0 x
madjackv48
Warrior

Post by madjackv48 »

In my opinion, whether DHC was in mission statement is a relative mouse turd. The bigger picture, as some of you have said, is what I object to, and mightily. Why was the change made? I don't for a moment accept their reason. And the few words inserted make the new MS different in kind from its predecessors, to wit, the powers-that-be can interpret odd entries (like 'Build') in ways that are essentially political. And the Army Values is wordy, pontificating, and in the end self-aggrandizing. West Point should be the conscience of the Army, not the other way around.
1 x
Pokey92
Warrior

Post by Pokey92 »

ahhhh, so you are worried about intent - and inferring intent from your own personal perspective and social network? Good to know. Do you think that without this wording in the mission statement, the motto will go by the wayside?

West Point is an Army institution...not the other way around.

Reminds me of similar churn in the early 90s when the mission statement had the line "develop leaders of character for the nation" and people got butt hurt. Last time I checked, the Army was part of the nation, and West Point is part of the Army.
0 x
rbmarmy
Warrior

Post by rbmarmy »

I am thinking about having hats made not just a motto....DUTY HONOR COUNTRY....Its a way of life........ or...a life well served
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

People will argue about anything. This isn't a big deal in the grand history of The Academy, but releasing a press statement about it was club footed.
0 x
BG
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic