GOODBYE

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
Warrior

GOODBYE

Post by RABBLE »

Say goodbye to Michie Stadium's east stands. With Saturday's A/N Lacrosse game, we close out the 62 year life of that section of the stadium. Sad to me, really.
True , it has outlived its usefulness in the modern world of college football. I spent many Saturdays sitting in those stands from the very top in the northeast section where I saw the longest run in Army football history and by chance I video taped it on my old Super 8 movie camera and also to the very bottom of the visitors entrance and exit to their dressing room capturing all the talk of the visiting players.
Before the construction of the present stands, I always sat on the old wooden east stands where I would always drop a souvenir or two accidently thru the wood slats. After the game was over, I always retrieved what I lost.
When the new aluminum seats were installed in 1962, those September openers were hot, very hot. When the cadets moved from the west to the east stands, so did I. Cooler out of the sun alright but only after 12;55PM on those 12 noon start times when the west stands blocked out those rays.

A little nostalgia from the old RAB, but it has always been a great ride wherever I sat.
0 x