Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Role of new Offensive Analyst

Post by ArmyBN82 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am

guppie58 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:01 am
ArmyBN82, should we pin a thread for you to post all of your article excerpts? :lol:

Many useful copies/pastes, but I don't think we're on topic anymore regarding the new Offensive Analyst.
True we seem in this thread to go from the Offensive Analysts to the coaching of the the Service Academies football teams and back- wish I could change the original thread title lol...
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Navy Ranking 116

Post by ArmyBN82 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:03 pm

Following up on the AAC ranking of Navy here is Fan weekly ranking Navy 116. Think this ranking is to low for Navy and the assessment is to somber. Navy may be rebuilding this year but, they played a lot of close games last year.

"Overall - There are a lot of problems with this team, but for some reason I do see some success for this team next season. The offense isn’t that far from a rebound. Perry really is explosive, and his slotbacks appear to be as speedy as ever, if Navy can get them the ball on the edge. The defense probably won’t get much worse, and the pass defense has a chance to improve.

Here comes the bad part though, pulling off a rebound is difficult under any circumstances, much less when you’re at a resource disadvantage. Hope the Midshipmen can turn some heads with a team that does not have that much talent. "

https://www.thefanweekly.com/the-fan-we ... ipmen.html
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Re: Role of new Offensive Analyst

Post by gabn92 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:18 am

OK...the ole West Point instructor in me just couldn't help commenting on this "article" from Fan Weekly. I know...another off topic post on a thread presumably about our new offensive analyst...but here goes anyway.

What passes for journalism these days wouldn't have received a passing grade in Plebe English when I was a cadet or "P" (and I hope still wouldn't). This article is extremely poorly written...and the analysis is extremely poor in parts as well. We used to have fun after grading papers and would create a "Wall of Shame" for the 10 worst sentences submitted by cadets---pretty funny stuff and a good teaching tool as well. In that spirit, I captured 5 examples from this article that jumped out at me as worthy of some public shaming for posing as an English sentence or as worthwhile sports journalism (in no particular order):

1) If want to beat Army (which it hasn’t happened that much), they need to start developing players. [Bad grammar and bad analysis. Yes...they've lost 3 in a row, but that 13 game winning streak against us is hard to ignore]

2) No matter what the passing game needs to be working on because in college football, the air is your best friend and if they can’t do that well then it will be a long season. [Another example of bad grammar with this confusing sentence. Proper punctuation, please. Bad analysis as well..."the air is your best friend"? Considering this is an article about a Service Academy team that has had a ton of success without the "air being their best friend"...WTF is he thinking?]

3) Lewis will have some questionable weapons with him. [OK...at least a sentence that makes sense grammatically. But two issues with this. Number 1, it has been all over the news that Perry is getting the nod to return to QB...how did he miss that critical piece of info in his research before writing this article? Second, what the hell is a "questionable weapon"? I understand "questionable" and I understand some players are "weapons"...but WTF is a "questionable weapon"?]

4) Navy has always been a defense that has had some unique ways to handle the defense. [Again...OK as far as grammar goes. But what the hell does it mean for a defense to have "had some unique ways to handle the defense"?]

5) Navy will be using a more unpredictable, alternating odd and even fronts and alternating between showing something like a 3-4 defense and something more like a 4-2-5, which is total crazy, but I for some reason, I can see it working. [Terrible. Simply terrible writing. Also, he provides the reader no evidence for why this "total crazy" scheme might work.]
2 x

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Coach Drinkall Interview

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 pm

I heard this podcast today and thought people might be interested. Doesn’t talk about Army a whole lot but it does give some insight into Coach Drinkall’s thinking.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/u ... 0439153238
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Coach Drinkall Interview

Post by ArmyBN82 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:05 am

FSUBulldog0 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 pm
I heard this podcast today and thought people might be interested. Doesn’t talk about Army a whole lot but it does give some insight into Coach Drinkall’s thinking.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/u ... 0439153238
Good insight. I thought it was interesting to hear about Coach Drinkall's thinking. Coach Drinkall who is often cited earlier in these threads as a recognized College offensive guru talks about the similarity between Army's (Coaches Monken and Davis) triple option that actually does Power running 62% of the time and Coach Drinkall power running game (from the power run and sweep). They each use a lot of disguises. Call me silly but, I still think and hope he was brought here to open up our offensive more on 1st downs by adding more unpredictability to our running games. IMHO predictability allowed teams including Air Force to start to get back into the game in the second half.
0 x

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Re: Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Post by ARMORMAN » Fri May 24, 2019 9:23 am

Agree BN82.
Some on this forum have misrepresented our suggestions. UNPRECTICTABILITY in the run game is exactly what we recommended. NOT that we pass more, just that we don't run the fullback dive on first down so predictably. And you are totally right. Our pattern caused several teams, E MIch, Hawaii, and most memorably AF at our place, to get back in the game late in the second half. Should never have happened. We dominated most teams in all facets, except that we kept banging the fb on first down even when the box was ridiculously stacked. Ultimately we had to win by the skin of our teeth with zero margin for error! No offensive coordinator that I know of wants to be consistently 2d and 9 or 2d and 8. That's a tough way to start a series. We all want and love the power run philosophy. We all love smash-mouth football. We all want to bleed the clock with 10-minute drives. Just mix up the first down run play, that's all. Maybe some inside traps, which Ray Maples made a career of. Maybe a counter-option, to get the defense to flowing in the opposite direction. Anything to keep the defense from stuffing the middle. Again, NOT that we need to pass more than we are....
2 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am

Here, here ArmyBN82 and Armorman...well said and totally agree. Adding some "wrinkles" and mixing things up on O doesn't mean an abandonment of a dominant running game as the foundation of this O or of relying on more throwing. Last season was glorious...but could have easily been 9-4 (or even 8-5) rather than 11-2 because teams were able to hang around and keep it closer than it should have been. Some additional unpredictability (whether on the ground or through the air) may have helped keep our O moving and our foot on their necks to secure the W's in more dominant fashion.
2 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Fri May 24, 2019 1:59 pm

ARMORMAN wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:23 am
Some on this forum have misrepresented our suggestions. UNPRECTICTABILITY in the run game is exactly what we recommended. NOT that we pass more, just that we don't run the fullback dive on first down so predictably.
I may be one of those you may be describing and I really do not intend to offend anyone.

While I understand the reasonable thinking that unpredictability can be a valuable asset in running the offense, I just think it’s going to be VERY difficult to improve on what Brent Davis has been doing. In fact, I KNOW it will be close to impossible.

In 2018, Army offense scored 3.34 points/possession against FBS opponents. This was good for #6 in the nation. Only teams ahead of them are: #1 Oklahoma, #2 Alabama, #3 Ohio, #4 UCF, and #5 Georgia. Just give that some thought. Out of 130 offenses, Army was #6 where it counts the most. When his offense gets the ball, Davis is better than 124 other OC’s in FBS where it counts, turning those drives into points. Army was better than Clemson, Ohio State, Penn State, Auburn, LSU, and on and on.

It may be painful to watch the process sometimes but that is the nature of a TO offense. It’s painful for the defense too. As a fan, I just embraced what Davis and Monken are trying to do and it becomes clearer to me each season. I’m still learning to embrace and enjoy the more excruciating part of a TO offense.

We can agree to disagree but the more I watch this team, the more I see what Davis is doing. There are a lot of BS statistics but we can all agree that turning offensive drives into points is about as real as it gets. I just want to see wins and don't really care how comfortable the games are to watch.
2 x

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Post by ARMORMAN » Fri May 24, 2019 4:10 pm

We ALL want to see wins prairie, but several recent games in the last 2 years could have easily been losses were it not for last-second heroics, and that's the point. NOT that fullback dives are boring or uncomfortable, but that we don't want to have to stop a 2-point conversion on the 6 inch line to beat E Michigan or have to break up a 20 yard pass in our end zone on the last play against Hawaii, or have to stop AF on their last drive etc, etc. because we had to punt the ball away on our last series or two. We can and should be more dominant than that. 11 and 2 could have been 8 and 5 because we didn't dominate down the stretch. We punted away late and held our breath.

I like your stat about points per possession. It's very impressive. But as impressive as it is, I disagree that it would be "close to impossible" to improve. Baring a cut block or chop block penalty in a series, I personally don't think we should ever have to punt. I'm serious. Our power run game and our 4th down conversions are that effective. That is, until we become WAY too predictable..... Until they stack 9 in the box and we run the dive like we're blind and we're forced to punt. Especially late in the game, that's unnecessarily dangerous.

I love our offense and I'll love seeing Slomka or McCoy run 25+ times/game this year, but I think if we just mix up the 1st down run calls, those guys will hugely improve their yards/carry and as a result, we'll have more 2d and 4's than 2d and 8's, and therefore, fewer 4th down conversion requirements and more margin for error.
1 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Fri May 24, 2019 4:33 pm

ARMORMAN wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:10 pm

I love our offense and I'll love seeing Slomka or McCoy run 25+ times/game this year, but I think if we just mix up the 1st down run calls, those guys will hugely improve their yards/carry and as a result, we'll have more 2d and 4's than 2d and 8's, and therefore, fewer 4th down conversion requirements and more margin for error.
Fair enough. I admit that I'm deeper into the kool-aid than most and see even a 2 yarder as being on schedule as part of a bigger game plan. Those near comebacks though also included the performance of the defense. When our offense is #6 in points/possession and the defense is #51, The focus shouldn't be on the offense to be perfect but for defense to be tighter later in games.
1 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic