All-East Conference

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Constant69
Warrior

All-East Conference

Post by Constant69 »

My long time dream is for Army to be in an All-East Conference, that has all our East Coast traditional rivals:

Army
Navy
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Rutgers
UConn
Maryland
West Virginia
Buffalo
Penn State?

We could play quality football against name brand opponents, and fill our stadiums every weekend. Maybe get the millions of sports fans in the Tri-State going to college games again.

But I feel like a first-time caller to the Mike&TheMadDog show. I have no idea how you would put this together. This is certainly a time of realignment in conferences, and if maybe Army and Navy agreed to push it together?
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Re: All-East Conference

Post by Dude69 »

Mike and Mad Dog! Are they still on the radio? WFAN with the late Don Imus in the morning slot he used to sign off with: “And that completes the revenue producing portion of our programming today.” Then all of the unlistenable sports talk shows would begin with an endless collage of callers that clearly were searching for some meaning in their life.
0 x
armymule
Warrior

Post by armymule »

A conference like this would be outstanding! Unfortunately there are too many obstacles to make it a reality.
1 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

It would be an amazing conference. I would kill for it.

It would take an Act of God or an Act of Congress to make happen.

Eastern football is dead from the standpoint of an actual Eastern conference. It died a long time ago. When the Ivies retreated in their ivy towers. When we and Navy fell off the map as national powers. When the AFL and NFL reached national prominence. When Penn State spurned the newly formed Big East conference and headed Midwest to the Big 10. What is left of the Lambert Trophy teams are scattered to the winds. The Northeast founded CFB but as the Bible says, "A prophet is hated in his hometown."

Look at your list. The only teams that would go for it would be Buffalo and maybe West Virginia. Navy wants western games hence their placement in the AAC West. Army wants cupcake schedules. UConn wanted Big East basketball so badly that they sacrificed their football program to obtain it.

Boston College and Syracuse aren't leaving the ACC. Neither is Pitt. None of the Big 10 schools are leaving the richest conference in the game. (Big 10 media and research money).

Finally, the NCAA forbids football only conferences at the FBS level. And that is the only way this dream could work.
0 x
21-17!
Mudent
Warrior

Post by Mudent »

I was addicted to Mike and the Mad Dog in the '80's. WFAN, started with Imus's money, was the first and the best of the 24 hr sports stations (other than Imus and crew from 6 - 9am). Chris Russo (Mad Dog) went to Sirius radio for big bucks. Mike Francessa stayed on by himself but slowly faded and retired. The prototype of sports talk radio.
I'm with Oliphant - Eastern football was the greatest. Maybe it could be again. I remember watching Pitt, Penn St, Syracuse at the Polo Grounds,

Go Army! Keep fighting and win this one
0 x
Constant69
Warrior

Post by Constant69 »

Dude69 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:22 am Mike and Mad Dog! Are they still on the radio? WFAN with the late Don Imus in the morning slot he used to sign off with: “And that completes the revenue producing portion of our programming today.” Then all of the unlistenable sports talk shows would begin with an endless collage of callers that clearly were searching for some meaning in their life.
Those were the callers I was thinking of when I posted. The guys who would call in and say, "what do you think of this trade . . ." and then go on to propose some wild pie-in-the-sky combo that could never possibly happen.
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

I know. I got your reference/joke/sarcasm.
0 x
BoC84
Warrior

Post by BoC84 »

You forgot UMass and Temple.
0 x
Constant69
Warrior

Post by Constant69 »

You're right, I missed Temple. We've had some very good games against them, and they'd fit within this Conference, bringing in the Philly area and southern NJ. UMass - not so sure about that.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

In a perfect world we'd return to more geographic based conferences but, sadly, that ship has left the port and isn't every coming back. I could see a non-conference type of partnership, such as we "sort of" already have with UCONN and UMass, where we perhaps play the same 4-6 teams each year.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic