Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Post by ArmyBN82 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:14 am

Can someone give insight into the Hiring of Coach Matt Drinkall as an “Offensive Analyst” and his role will be as a support coach? Seems this is a new position at West Point - though other big schools have them. Drinkall seems to already be a very successful, recognized, up and coming coach and assumed his role will be significant as I can’t imagine he will just sit on the sidelines. Will he be calling or drawing up plays?
Last edited by ArmyBN82 on Wed May 22, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Re: Role of new Offensive Analyst

Post by gabn92 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am

This is really intriguing. Did a little searching and found he has quite an impressive resume in terms of the rebuilding job he has done at Kansas Wesleyan. Seems like he is a "program builder" like Monken in that regard. Not quite sure what type of offense they ran, but from the little I read it didn't sound like a triple option offense.

Saw in one story that he is listed specifically as a "quality control" analyst. According to wikipedia...duties for quality control coaches include preparing a team for a game, so it would seem like perhaps he will be assisting in analyzing future opponents and helping with the game-planning. To get a successful coach with extensive head coaching experience to assist in this role could be a great addition to the team.

Two additional encouraging thoughts about this. First, if Monken is willing to take money and hire "analysts" (which are essentially coaches over and above the limit of official coaches on staff that NCAA allows), then it would seem he is getting the funding and support from the administration that he wants and needs. Second, if he is willing to invest in the program in this way, by essentially paying to have "extra" staff, then that's a great sign of how serious he is about building up this program for sustained success.

He just took this team to it's best season since 1958...perfect time to jump ship if you're just looking for the next step up. Instead, he stays, signs an extension, and doubles-down by investing in bringing in more staff to strengthen this program. Also, think about the respect he has within coaching circles to be able to get a highly successful head coach to come onto his staff as an analyst.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Post by ArmyBN82 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:07 pm

I completely agree with you -it is a significant sign of commitment from both Monken and the Academy stepping up to fund this analyst. BTW I do not see the other service Academies having "Analysts" they get classified as we did as a Quality Control person. As Drinkall is highly regarded and successful as you also cited- and comes from a non wishbone background: I was wondering if the purpose may be to also do play calling and let Coach Brett Davis the OC spend more time on the overall defense and defensive line coaching. It may also be a sign that Monken wants to open it up more for QB Hopkins who has more throwing skills - and leverage the system experience and success of Coach Drinkall. Possible?
0 x

wp1994
New Recruit

Post by wp1994 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:38 pm

I don’t know anything about this new guy, but I do know that there are very strict sets of rules about what constitutes coaching duties. My guess is that this staff member will be one of the guys crunching all the analytics data that we know Coach Monken likes.

There’s also rules about how many coaches each team can have on headsets, both in he box and on the sidelines. But there’s nothing to say this guy can’t sit up in the box and talk to those coaches wearing the headsets. Armed with his laptop, he could be lethal!

I also wouldn’t trust that we know everyone on staff at the other academies just based on their websites. I’m not even sure I believe everything I see on ours.

Beat ‘em!
1 x
Beat 'em!

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Post by ArmyBN82 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks, My hope is that he will be asked to take a bit more advantage of Hopkins arm. I do not want to leave our ground pounding option offensive but, would be good to have a bit better air game to punish opposing defensive when they stack the box against the run. That play calling without a headset would for me make Drinkall " lethal! " :)
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:49 am

An offensive analyst is the same thing as an offensive quality control coach. We've had them for several years now, so this isn't a new thing. Look for one of the current quality control coaches to get promoted or move on somewhere else.

As far as the other academies not having them, Navy just hired one today. They've had a defensive analyst/quality control coach for three years now:
https://navysports.com/coaches.aspx?rc= ... h=football

As far as what analysts/quality control coaches do, they help the coordinators prepare gameplans by watching film, noting tendencies, and working on strategy, working on games several weeks out while the rest of the staff focuses on the current week's game. He most definitely will not be calling plays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_control_coach
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/spor ... aches.html
Last edited by Mack270 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Post by ArmyBN82 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:06 am

Thanks good information. If not calling plays it will be interesting to see what they have in store for this recognized young coach.
0 x

thedoc85
New Recruit

Post by thedoc85 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:47 am

Quality control coaches are responsible for what are called "Cutups". They take entire game tapes and cut segments which will be of interest to the OC or DC. In most cases------it's not a prestigious job.
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:57 am

thedoc85 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:47 am
Quality control coaches are responsible for what are called "Cutups". They take entire game tapes and cut segments which will be of interest to the OC or DC. In most cases------it's not a prestigious job.
Which makes this hire pretty interesting, given Driskall's success as a head coach. By the info out there, he's been the architect of a similarly amazing turnaround at Kansas Wesleyan as Monken at Army. Leaving that to be "just" a quality control coach after taking the team to 13-1 and NAIA national semifinals this year is an interesting move. I would think a step up to FBS or FCS in a coordinator role might have been more "traditional"? Makes me wonder if there is more in store for his role, both now and potentially in the future.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Post by ArmyBN82 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 am

This is a very interesting move -as just last month Drinkall was considered for Head Coach at Drake. Given his recognized success at Kansas Wesleyan there must be much more in store than spot teams and cut up film. Especially since he was not from an option team. While he can’t coach kids directly it will be interesting to see if he influences taking advantage more Hopkins throwing when defenses stack the box
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic