Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Service Academy Coaching

Post by ArmyBN82 »

CBS Sports Ranks the Job Security of 130 Division 1 FBS Coaches.

While not surprised to see that Coach Monken is ranked as untouchable - I was surprised to see Air Force Coach Calhoun ranked "all good... for now" and Navy Coach Niumatalolo ranked as Safe and Secure. I think both Coaches in my opinion are past "Pressure is Mounting" and now at "Start Wining Now" level. Thoughts?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... s-coaches/
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Re: Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Post by Mack270 »

I initially expected to see them each ranked one higher, but it does make sense where they are at. Coach Ken has earned a lot of good will over his entire career at Navy and has really only had one poor season recently (2018). If he has another equally poor season and loses to both Army and Air Force again, the pressure may begin to mount.

The USAFA administration just seems apathetic to me. Plus they probably enjoy the comparisons of college football to Vietnam deployments and the Spartans holding the hot gate at Thermopylae every pregame press conference.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE »

I believe both the AF and Navy coaches are secure. You need seasons of uselessness like our "beloved" Todd Berry, the "ancient" Bobby Ross, the "unqualified" Stan Brock and "Sleepy Rip Van" Ellerson plus the two AD mentors of the day, "Nobody uses my parking space!" Buns Greenspan and "Play All Our Games Away" Anderson, to getting fired at West Point.

Pardon my "expletives", I'm only joking. 8-) 8-) 8-)

This group was bad and two decades of this were enough.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Post by ArmyBN82 »

This Austin Texas paper talks of Army potentially throwing a wrench into the CFP. Thought his summary assessment of Army keeping on track and keeping his Coaching staff relatively intact. Major gain was the hiring of recognized Offensive Guru QC/OA Coach Matt Drinkall - many article on him above in the thread. Coach Monken's success is not only in developing and coaching players but also recruiting top caliber coaches to West Point too.

" While quarterback Kelvin Hopkins triggers the potent option offense, Monken and his staff wanted to find a new fullback to soften up defenses. Rashaad Bolton stepped up in the spring game, scoring two touchdowns and a physical style typical of the Knights’ option attack. … Monken kept his coaching staff almost entirely intact. And why not? The Black Knights, who had one winning season in the 17 years prior to Monken’s arrival, have had three consecutive winning campaigns and are coming off their first 11-win season in school history as well as their highest final ranking in the AP poll (No. 19) since their last unbeaten season in 1958."

https://www.hookem.com/story/11th-annua ... rench-cfp/
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Army Team Prediction

Post by ArmyBN82 »

This Illinois paper has Army predicted to end the season #25 and to be bowl bound!!

“Bowl trip: Frisco

Why No. 25: Kelvin Hopkins Jr. is the perfect quarterback to run Army’s option offense. Last season, he became the first player in school history to run and pass for more than 1,000 yards in the same season. ... Kell Walker returns at running back and is also a threat as a receiver. ... The Black Knights welcome back three starters on the offensive line. Army wins with the ground game, finishing second in the nation in rushing last season. ... The defense needs to replace seven starters. The best of the bunch is linebacker Cole Christiansen. Three starters are back in the secondary. ... The schedule is built for another double-digit record. Army will be tested the second week with a trip to Michigan. The other challenges are trips to Air Force and Hawaii.”

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/top ... 83733.html
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Navy Team Prediction

Post by ArmyBN82 »

Navy here predicted to go 8-4 and beat both Air For r and Army. This year I however, predict both Air Force and Army to take down Navy.

“Prediction: 8-4 Heading into the 2019 Army-Navy Game, Navy will hold a record of 7-4. They will finish the regular season 8-4, snapping the losing streak to Army.”

https://saturdayblitz.com/2019/07/15/na ... edictions/
0 x

WrekDivr
New Recruit

Post by WrekDivr »

This is the most optimistic prediction I have seen for Navy. While I think they are right in their assessment of Perry’s athletic ability, I don’t think they recognize his challenge in starting all of their games. I am sure they will play is tough, my money is on Army.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Coach Monken Podcast

Post by ArmyBN82 »

Coach Monken was interviewed and recorded on this podcast - sounds like he is really making everyone focus on Rice and take each game as it comes. Easy to get caught in the hype from last year.

https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/ ... ce-falcons
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Re: Navy Team Prediction

Post by gabn92 »

ArmyBN82 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:58 am
Navy here predicted to go 8-4 and beat both Air For r and Army. This year I however, predict both Air Force and Army to take down Navy.

“Prediction: 8-4 Heading into the 2019 Army-Navy Game, Navy will hold a record of 7-4. They will finish the regular season 8-4, snapping the losing streak to Army.”

https://saturdayblitz.com/2019/07/15/na ... edictions/
The author of that article is a total Navy-homer. He played for them and now writes for the "Against All Enemies" website. First came across his stuff last year in a ridiculous article that basically predicted the 2017 loss to Army was a fluke, Army would suck in 2018 and Navy would be king of the hill. Obviously, none of it came to pass.

Same thing with this article about Navy for 2019...this guy sees the world through a very strong Navy bias. Nothing wrong with that, he loves his team. Just keep it in mind when you read anything he writes.
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Air Force Team Analysis

Post by ArmyBN82 »

Air Force Team analysis courtesy of Wyoming.

Air Force even with the loss of their top performer slot back (out for disciplinary reasons) and top full back (under investigation) is still expected to pack a wallop in rushing. The analysis on defense was interesting as does not get as much coverage. I expect Air Force to be extra tough this year given the number of starters returning and the intensity of last years game.

"As much attention as the Falcons’ running game gets, the defense finished in the upper half of the Mountain West in several defensive categories and has the potential to be even better with six of its top seven tacklers back from last season. Considering how much practice it gets against the run, it’s no surprise the unit allowed the second-fewest rushing yards in the league a season ago.

Leading the way is defensive back Jeremy Fejedelem, who returns after racking up team-highs in tackles (104) and interceptions (3) last season. The Falcons also have a disruptor up front in defensive tackle Jordan Jackson, who led the team with 12.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks a season ago.

Senior Kyle Johnson (70 tackles) is also back as the undisputed leader of a linebacking corps that lost four of its eight contributors from last season. But there are plenty of pieces for veteran coach Troy Calhoun to work with on both sides of the ball, which should once again make Air Force a headache for everyone in the league to deal with."

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... d888e.html
1 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic