Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Coach Davis Optomistic

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:29 pm

IT was good to hear Coach Davis being so optimistic: about depth and performance.

""This year the sum of the parts has a chance to be just fine," Davis said. "We've got 45 starts returning, guys that have started in 45 games. We really feel this is the most depth across the board that we've had."

Turnover prowess
Army relies on controlling the clock and limiting the number of possessions its opponents have. Turnovers are to be avoided at all costs and the Black Knights are darn good at that. They had only eight last season, second nationally, losing just five fumbles in 922 snaps to go with three interceptions.

"Our goal is to be better than we were last year in ball security," Davis said. "We give our team a chance to win football games if we don't turn it over. Our record when we have not turned the ball over is pretty good. I think we might have lost one game in five years. That's something we point out to our guys all the time"

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/a ... story.html
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Air Force says “pedigree on the Air Force sideline is a little better“

Post by ArmyBN82 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:19 am

Air Force believes history and pedigree is on their side to win? I believe Air Force is better than last year and game will be tough but, would look at who is developing players last year. Army offense is not based on surprise it is based on execution.

“However, history would suggest that the path to the Commander-in-Chief’s trophy actually runs through Air Force. Their matchups with Army and Navy does not get the national attention equal to ‘America’s Game’, but maybe it should. After all, the Falcon’s have won the outright trophy 20 times since its inception in 1972, significantly more than Army’s 8, and well ahead of Navy’s 15.“....

“So don’t let nostalgia dilute the reality that Air Force has been top dog in pantheon of Military football since they joined the party.”...
“pedigree on the Air Force sideline is a little better”

https://mwwire.com/2019/08/22/air-force ... k-knights/
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

why Army will go undefeated

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:49 am

Think article is over optimistic but if the team is not complacent, works hard and has some luck - then...

“Furthermore, if you’ve ever heard the privilege of hearing head coach Jeff Monken speak, you’d know he’s a man that doesn’t tolerate complacency.

The Black Knights aren’t overlooking anyone in 2019. They’re taking it one game at a time, which is how the best teams approach their seasons to achieve success.”

https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/ ... cic-trophy
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Post by RABBLE » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:05 pm

You can not look past the team you are playing next Saturday to concentrate on an opponent the following week. With that in mind, sometimes you will lose the next two. I think though, our coach is well aware of that with any game we play this year whether it's a Rice or a VMI.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Navy Predicted to go 4-8

Post by ArmyBN82 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:10 pm

Against all odds had an article written by Joe Kramer (a proclaimed biased Army fan) who thinks 4-8 might be too generous a prediction for Navy this season.

"Although having an established (and talented) QB in Malcolm Perry provides some hope, there are reports that Navy doesn’t have an established backup, which could create some issues for the Midshipmen not just in 2019, but even into the future. Can’t fault the Mids for their confidence heading into 2019, they seem to believe that the Commander-in-Chief’s trophy will be returning to Annapolis this year. A new defensive coordinator has given fans hope for improvement, too.

So, let’s say that Navy wins all three games in which they are favored, where does this 4th win that ESPN alludes to come from? One could argue that a home field against service academy rival Air Force might be it. Service academy match-ups are almost always close games, and having a home field advantage doesn’t hurt. Plus, the Falcons are struggling to find their mojo as well and having some key receivers now ineligible to play could further benefit Navy.

However, as an unbiased Army fan, I wouldn’t bank on Navy winning all three of their favored games. They play at UConn in 2019, and the last time they played in 2016 (at Navy and when Navy was actually a good team) the Midshipmen only won by four points. Plus, that game is sandwiched in between a tough game against Tulane and a virtual firing squad in Notre Dame. One thing is for certain, the Commander-in-Chief trophy won’t be going to Navy in 2019."....

https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/ ... en-preview
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Army Depth Charts and Predictions

Post by ArmyBN82 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Record on line comes out with the Army depth charts and season predictions. We will know in the next two weeks how this season will fare but, I am optimistic......

"While nearly every player has claimed to be singularly focused on Friday’s home opener against Rice, a few have mentioned that when they saw the 2019 opponents, they knew Army had a chance to go undefeated. That confidence has been brimming from the start. McCoy said during the first week of spring practice, “We should beat every team on our schedule.”

No one on the team will admit it, but the true test of the season comes in that road trip to Michigan on Sept. 7. An upset vaults Army into the AP Top 15, puts Monken on the map as one of the hottest head-coaching candidates in 2020 (Monken said this month that he’s very happy at Army) and ignites the conversation of running the table. With a loss in Ann Arbor, Army still has a strong chance to improve upon or at least match its tidy 11-win total from 2018.

Now, the time has come for Army to prove whether its recent resurgence to national relevancy can continue."

https://www.recordonline.com/collegevar ... t-everyone
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:11 pm

The season is here. Close down this thread mod.
2 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Air Force Predicitons

Post by ArmyBN82 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:33 am

As the season kick offs approach Against all Enemies puts out their last home and anti home piece on the Service Academies. This one is on Air Force - and titled Why Air Force could end up 5-7 for a third straight year - is surprisingly pretty balanced all things considered.

Concern cited on the QB " I still think that an inability to stick with a quarterback hurt both Air Force and Navy last season. A rotation that started with Arion Worthman, shifted to Sanders, then to Hammond, then to Sanders, and then back to Hammond last year I believe had an impact on the offense’s inconsistency throughout the year. It’s a new year to be sure, and just based on my observations last year watching the Falcons I expected Hammond to be named the starter in 2019. But how long is the leash becomes the biggest question moving into the season. This is not something I’m sure we will get from Calhoun in any press conference, but will be evident quickly by his actions during the season. Even in his press conference today, he was non-committal on who the starter was after Briggeman wrote that it was Hammond after practice yesterday."

Second concern cited and to me a major concern "Another important announcement of the past week has been the loss of two key players for no longer being “in good standing” with USAFA in receivers Brandon Lewis and David Cormier. This certainly explains part of why we have seen Ben Peterson’s name in the mix for awhile now, and I’m sure is something the coaching staff anticipated, but it’s still a big deal. We don’t know why they lost their status and ability to compete for the Academy, as it could be anything from academic to conduct to honor related, but with the fact that the team lost starting fullback Cole Fagan and running back Joseph Saucier earlier this summer for similar reasons, it does signify a bit of a trend.

Once again, I don’t have a clue why the drop in status occurred, but these were several key players that were expected to contribute in a big way this season. Now, outside of Geraud Sanders, there is a serious lack of experience for the wide receiver corps."

"In the end, there are only a total of four games on the Falcons schedule that I would consider as locks for them to win. And if they bounce back and forth between quarterbacks, can’t find the depth they expected to have at the skill positions, and enter a slide during that rough scheduling stretch of the season, the glass half empty would say that this team is just as likely to go 5-7 again for the third straight year and miss a bowl game as they are to turn things around".....

https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/ ... ntain-west
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 pm

This thread is the biggest in the history of the Army board. Its time to think about Rice exclusively at the moment. If we do not beat Rice to go 0-1 that would put a serious dagger into us for the remainder of the season. Talk about a balloon bursting! :?
1 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic