SAL - MONKEN - UH OH.....

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
armyftball
Warrior

SAL - MONKEN - UH OH.....

Post by armyftball »

"Black Knight Nation can confirm that Monken has made calls to assemble a staff to take to Kansas. From what we have gathered, the number of Army assistants that Monken could take to Kansas isn’t as many as one would think."

http://blackknightnation.com/monken-to- ... -challenge
0 x

OptionThis
Warrior

Re: SAL - MONKEN - UH OH.....

Post by OptionThis »

At first I was hopeful that any finalist has to make those calls on the chance he gets the actual offer. But then I recognized that he only makes those calls IF he got the offer, and IF he accepted it and equally important, his staff only reveals the calls if they are going with him to a new team. He's gone.
0 x

Constant69
Warrior

Post by Constant69 »

What no one has been able to explain is why Coach Monken might be interested in the Kansas position. Please give me some logic or reasoning that explains why the Kansas job might be in any way better than what he has now at Army. There is none. And don't say The Money, because as more information comes in, it looks like the increase might be 20%, not 200%.

And this latest rumor about his not taking assistants with him and having to create a new staff at Kansas. Besides being another big negative for the move, doesn't it say that Monken's assistants have told him they are not going to Kansas, and are staying at Army? That's what it has to mean, these guys are not chattel.
0 x

OptionThis
Warrior

Post by OptionThis »

Agreed, really hard to fathom why JM seems to covet the Kansas job, but I'll offer up guesses:

1. He wants the challenge. And Kansas IS a challenge. Its ranked 104 to Army's 59 in the latest way early pre-season poll and its ALWAYS dead last in the Big 12. But, it IS in the Big 12 and plays the big boys nearly every week. Much like Paul Johnson left Navy for the challenge of trying his chops in the ACC @ GA Tech, the potential move to KU does offer that. Any success at that basketball school may make him a hero.

2. Maybe he's tired of the restrictions of a Service Academy. It's obvious he respects the mission and loves the Army players, but the more relaxed scene at KU may be enticing to a non-military man.

3. Maybe KU has offered him $ 3 million with incentives on top. IF so that's a $ 35 % increase and over 5+ years, that's real $.
0 x

Constant69
Warrior

Post by Constant69 »

Good attempt to explain. I'm far from convinced. You say that Monken covets the Kansas job. What is the evidence for that? There is none. Only blogger rumors.

This is a perspective that maybe I'm the only one to have, but Jeff Monken is already rich by most normal measures. He's been pulling down $1.5-$1.9m per year for 6 years. And most major living expenses taken care of. The pay increase will be a consideration when he does decide to jump, but far from the only one.
0 x

OptionThis
Warrior

Post by OptionThis »

Maybe "covets" is too strong. Per Sal's report that JM has contacted his assistant coaches to gauge their interest, HE is also, at some level, interested....
0 x

Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

I don't know if it's at all relevant to the conversation, but does anyone have any idea of what the outcome Superintendent's investigation will be? I would imagine that at the very least it would be much more difficult to recruit athletes with borderline academic credentials. Could there be decisions made that would (negatively) impact the future of the football program? Or is the punishment for the cadets the end of the story?
0 x

keco616
Warrior

Post by keco616 »

I get that emotions are high, but we need perspective here.

1. He is the 2nd greatest coach in the history of a storied program; he deserves his choice
2. He has made it apparent (under the radar) that he wants a power 5 job - no arguments there, his career
3. He's transformed this program to the extent that nothing else matters. It will continue its rise after him
4. We better have had a succession plan for the past 3 years by now
5. He's going to increase his earnings by a wide margin - up to us to be in the ballpark of it
6. He might not leave.... Ken flirted twice and it was all but signed and delivered, and he's still at Navy
7. It doesn't matter the Kansas record. What was ours before he came? Challenge fuels the top professionals
8. IF he goes, you could argue a successful Kansas Jayhawks means a successful Army team
9. Why can't he win at Kansas? Look at the dross he took over here and look where he's gone with it.
10. The timing is immaterial. He can't help when Les Miles was fired, can't help that p5 jobs only come about so often, can't help that only so few are looking at a 'triple option' guy, let alone SA guy. Opportunities are finite.
11. Stewart Mandel appropriately stated that between Leipold or Monken, Kansas is getting a top 25 coach in the country and they are incredibly lucky. So are we... we have a top 25 coach in America and our program has its limitations both financially and competitively. That's a gift. I am so tired of seeing retread guys get taken for jobs over Jeff, Ken, or even Calhoun for that matter. Good coaches win football games, and that's what goes on at West Point. I laugh when the Arizona fanbase wouldn't have Ken and wanted Kevin Sumlin. Know what? The Navy fan base would take Ken 10 times out of 9 over Sumlin, but one gets treated like a top coach and the other doesn't. One wins, the other doesn't.
2 x

PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

I wouldn't hate Monken if he left. The guy and his staff should be commended for the job they've done. Say what you want but it would have been just as easy for JM and staff to stay at GA Southern and wait on a better opportunity than Army.

Personally, I won't believe it till I see it. Maybe we find out today. Lots os smoke so it is always concerning but in the end if he leaves I will still be uber thankful that he was part of the Army Football History. We've had very few coaches over the last 70 years that have had any level of success. He is the exception.

Let's be clear. The single best thing Jeff Monken and Staff have done at West Point is to demonstrate to a fan base, to graduates, to the Academy Staff, to recruits, former players, and to countlesss casual observers across America that you can win at Army. That you can compete at Army. That Army is relevant. And that if you have the right coach, players, and system that Army can compete with any team in America.

It's the fundamental attitude change that Monken has brought and shown people what it takes to win. That is a gift that has residual value beyond his tenure at Army. And for that I will always be indebted to Jeff Monken for his service to our institution.

PD
5 x

ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

Constant69 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:54 pm
What no one has been able to explain is why Coach Monken might be interested in the Kansas position. Please give me some logic or reasoning that explains why the Kansas job might be in any way better than what he has now at Army. There is none. And don't say The Money, because as more information comes in, it looks like the increase might be 20%, not 200%.

And this latest rumor about his not taking assistants with him and having to create a new staff at Kansas. Besides being another big negative for the move, doesn't it say that Monken's assistants have told him they are not going to Kansas, and are staying at Army? That's what it has to mean, these guys are not chattel.
Ultimately I don’t think he is going to leave but when you think about it Kansas might be one of the best P5 jobs for Monken to take.

- There is nowhere to go but up.
-The KU fan base is not delusional and will not refuse to support an option like offense.
-Nobody in the Big 12 plays any defense and teams having to adjust from spread offenses to the option would give Kansas a big advantage week in the conference.
Compare that to the Big 10 or SEC and even ACC where the good and elite teams all play solid defense.

There are other possible factors as well. Monken may believe that he has accomplished all that he can at Army. Maybe him or his family are tired of living on a military installation. New York has been locked down hard for the last year while, Kansas is pretty much wide open.

Lastly, I live not far from Lawrence it is not a bad place to live. It’s only 45 minutes away from Kansas City (Which only locked down for about a month and things were pretty much back to normal)
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic