Army Football Schedule Prediction

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Re: Army Football Schedule Prediction

Post by Armyfaninpa »

I remember watching the Liberty Bowl last year and was wondering why with all the reliance on analytics was running the QB off tackle the only play they seemed to have in their playbook for 3rd and long situations. I couldn't help thinking if the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over gain and somehow expecting a different result, then the OC is clearly insane!
0 x

bpfeifer
Warrior

Post by bpfeifer »

One of the things I believe is that the team goes as far as the senior leadership takes them. Maybe that is why it may be a good thing that there are 4 defensive captains? Pick the guys that can be leaders of leaders? Sounds like that was the case when I listen to PrideandDream's story of the difference between 95 & 96, and sounds the same as '18 - '19 - '20. If those 4 defensive captains can get the seniors to buy in and light a fire under this team keep them focused, we will be good. If not, then all of the other stuff can affect our focus and make us mediocre.
0 x

PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

gabn92 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 am
PrideandDream wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:20 am
Here's my prediction:

1-0 vs GA State.

Only thing that matters at this point. I'll get to the others as they come.

PD
Spoken like a coach...and true enough for the members of the Army team.

But not much fun on a discussion board.

How does anyone interact with a comment like that? "Guess you're right, all of us fans should just take this one week at a time and not talk about anything other than the next opponent."?

"Talking about the season and how we think it might play it is just a fool's errand...real football fans don't waste time looking beyond the next game."?
Bland it may be however it did prompt you to respond.

PD
0 x

PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

GO 150s 87 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:03 am
Dong Fong '09 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:26 pm
i hope we come out strong against ga state i was at the 2019 game in person and that game, besides being just awful weather, perfectly encapsulated an awful 2019 season

-passive, unaggressive defensive performance
-failing to get kell walker involved
-giving more carries to mccoy instead of slomka, who was ripping off multiple 30 yard rushes
-terribly timed, drive killing passing plays
-turnovers
-drive killing penalties

would love to see us come out and set the tone for the season with a convincing win with a stout defense and a dynamic, true triple options offense
GAST 2019 was indeed a brutally frustrating game to attend. I was there too, in the rain, angry, and stunned at the lack of effort. What made it worse is that I saw the same performance two weeks in a row because I also attended the WKU game the week before. Those two games epitomized the disaster that was the 2019 season.

Now how does this relate to the upcoming season? Simple. I don't want to be the pessimist here but if I was a betting man I'd say the upcoming season is much more likely to be a repeat of 2019 than a 9+ win season. It just has that feeling.
I agree with both of your comments. I too was at this game and the WKU game the week before. I was also at the Michigan game. It was stunning to see an Army team that was totally uninspired. I believe in my heart that the Michigan game was a culture breaker for our kids. And for the seniors and maybe some juniors that had come so close at OU and UM that everything else probably just didn't feel worth playing for. It's certainly strange how a close loss can either ignite the fire to compete or crush your soul limit your abilities.

PD
1 x

PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

This whole concept of players buying in is interesting. And to be honest I'm not exactly sure that it's that big of an issue. The only thing that matters is the level of intensity that JM brings to practice and meetings everyday. Players will follow an intense competitor and an "Alpha". So as long as Monken shows up with an intense desire to compete and as long as he holds these guys accountable and makes them compete at practice then things will likely fall in line. Outside of a internal "Coup" where players particularly seniors actively work against him I think it really does fall on him. My experience tells me that when the coach and staff are lackadaisical and don't demonstrate an intense desire to compete and win then it flows right to the players.

One thing many coaches of the past have fallen prey to is the idea that Juniors and Seniors should play or are more developed than underclassmen. In some cases it may be true but my opinion is that to win at Army you need every guy competing for his life every single day of every practice and game from day 1 until their last Army Navy / Bowl game. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I absolutely love the fact we started all those QBs last year. I mean can you imagine the intensity that the QBs felt going to practice day in and day out and week in and week out? Nothing was given. You had to show up and play. And the staff was fearless about putting in different guys. We've done the same with the O Line and many of the FBs. Sometimes it's different guys for different scenarios and sometimes its who they gave us the best chance to win. But there were no givens. It's that type of fearless decision making that will drive a culture to find ways to win.

Truth is we will have to evaluate it week by week. And until we get 3 or 4 games in we won't know what we have frankly. Which is the case every year with any team. We will have a good idea at the end of September. If we can pull off the first 4 then I think we are going to make a heck of a run. The WKU game is going to be make or break for this team if I had to guess.

PD
1 x

ArmyinSoCal
Warrior

Post by ArmyinSoCal »

gabn92 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:53 pm
I agree generally with the 8-4 prediction. I see Ga State, Ball State, WF and AF as all being basically toss-up games. Tough but winnable if Army doesn't beat themselves. Wisc and Liberty I see as more "stretch" games, likely losses. Navy is in its own category, but I think a probable win given where the 2 programs are right now. The others are likely wins. That puts Army somewhere from 10-2 to 7-5, with 8-4 I think a realistic outcome given a fairly challenging schedule.

If Army were to somehow run the table with this schedule...it is strong enough I think that an undefeated Army with quality wins against 2 P5 teams and 4 strong/decent Group of 5 teams (Liberty, Ball State, AF, Ga State) as well as our main rival, Army would be at/near cracking the Top 10, certainly Top 15.
I think that this is spot on. I am hoping for a magical season, but the offense needs to be able to run more than three plays.
1 x

RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

As of the first of July, a month before the team hits the pads in pre-season practice, I will say 6-6. Not overly optimistic I know but that is an early prediction. I probably will change it shortly but right now, I'm upset with the situations of Monken, his coaching inquiries, the lack of any news reporting and I feel that some malaise creeping into the fortunes of this 2021 team. I don't know but I don't like the feeling I now have. Of course, I hope I'm wrong. It's early.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic