Wisconsin and Big Boy Teams

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
guppie58
Warrior

Wisconsin and Big Boy Teams

Post by guppie58 »

I work with a USAFA graduate who played football there, and we had a conversation about how the culture was different under DeBerry. When he was there, they played to go undefeated and win the National Championship every year. They always scheduled a big boy team to test themselves and hopefully get an upset*. This is the culture that Monken has brought to West Point, and Calhoun has lost at USAFA.

What do you all think about the Wisconsin game this year? Will it be a battle like Oklahoma and Michigan?

I tried perusing the Wisconsin boards but struggled to find any free ones that mentioned the Army game beyond "cool that the US Army is coming to town". I have no idea what their fan base thinks of Army...and based on the silence I'm guessing they expect a rout.

*It isn't an upset when you expect to win.
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

gabn92
Warrior

Re: Wisconsin and Big Boy Teams

Post by gabn92 »

I don't know what to think of Wisconsin yet...they were hyped last year and underachieved, but much of that could be due to COVID issues they struggled with. Will they have a chip on their shoulder this year?

We caught Oklahoma during a year they had a historically bad defense and a world class offense. That combination in an opponent was perfect for Army's style of play...we were able to move the ball and chew up the clock and keep their offense largely off the field and certainly put pressure on them to make every drive count.

We caught Michigan in the midst of their mediocrity with Harbaugh and whatever is going on up there. They've not been a "typical" Michigan team in years.

Wisconsin...I have a feeling this game may play out more like how the Ohio State game went a few years ago. Their defense isn't going to be Oklahoma and they aren't going to have the disfunction that Michigan has had. Their size advantage will be tough to match up against for 4 quarters I think.

Army will need some things to break our way to win against Wisconsin. Hoping for the upset of course, but realistically, I don't think this is a good matchup for Army.
1 x

Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

I’m not even confident we can beat teams like the citadel Consistently let alone Wisconsin. But I’m hoping we can get that big upset this year!

Wisconsin is a good team. For us to win, our offense needs to be effective and score Tds on 10 minute drives.

Wisconsin has a really good young qb named Mertz who was a freshman last year but I believe got hurt. Our defense is going to need to figure out a way to stuff the run and get some negative plays and a few sacks to get them out of rhythm.

Wisconsin has a brutal few games leading up to us (Michigan, Notre dame, penn state) and we have a bye the week before. Hopefully that is an advantage for us. I prefer playing this game in the middle of the season vs week one or two. They won’t be able to spend a whole summer prepping for the option when they got several big games before they play us.
0 x

Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

It seems as if the Big 12 is the best fit for Army to play their Big Boy Game of the year. I see almost no evidence of any defense being played in any Big 12 games I've watched (except for last years Liberty Bowl). Texas would be an ideal opponent - a "name" program that Army could run up and down the field on all day long (assuming they have a QB competent to run the offense). Given the emphasis on recruiting in that area, it sounds like an ideal matchup. I wouldn't be surprised if UT's AD wasn't that interested.

The good news about the Wisconsin game is that it's too far down the schedule for the players to have the date circled on their calendars and sleepwalk through earlier games like what happened vs Rice in 2019. Too many questions about the offense for me to be overly optimistic.
0 x

bpfeifer
Warrior

Post by bpfeifer »

CFN did a preview of Wisconsin, not sure if I can put a link in here for it. Says that they were pretty banged up on offense last year, and will be much improved. That said, Army is beginning to get some respect in some of these preview sites, as when they were reviewing the Wisconsin opponents they included, "and be very, very, very afraid of that date with Army."

https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/05 ... iew-2021/5
0 x

ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

THAT'S prezackly the kind of fear I want all ARMY opponents to have: "Be very, very afraid". Perfect. Want 'em to know they're gonna get punched in the face time and time again. That ARMY will punish 'em. That ARMY will ask and give no quarter. "Here we come. On the ground. Cuttin' your ass between the tackles. Stop us if you can".....And on defense: "Here we come. Attacking your ass. Blitzing from every angle. Come and git some"....

Many years ago I remember an opposing coach lamenting after a game, "Playing ARMY is like going to war".

Yeah baby.

That's what Jeff Monken has returned to our program. Respect born of RELENTLESS TOUGHNESS. That's what Army's reputation should be, on the football field and on other fields, on other days.....

Fate whispered to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm"...
And the warrior replied: "I AM THE STORM".

Out.
1 x

ArmyinSoCal
Warrior

Post by ArmyinSoCal »

I think Army will match up very well to a run oriented offense. I expect the Army offense to be much improved. I think Army wins this handily. I will be there.
0 x

RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

we play these so-called big boy teams but until we can beat one of these teams all we get will be a big pay-day. As far as a serious challenge to a top 25 spot (from lets say, 20-25) we will always be on the outside looking in. Respectable but not really a challenge to any playoff system in the future.
Be satisfied with a CIC Trophy and a respectable rating. The days of laughing at us ever again must cease.
Don't worry about joining a conference. Big teams will always want to play us as to be patriotic to their particular university. That is what we always have going for us. We are ARMY and no one should ever take us lightly.
We must treat our present coach with dignity, honor and respect and pay him and his staff a salary he cannot or should not refuse. Not easy but the pockets of the alumni and dedicated supporters of this program must prevail. Jeff wants to test the Power 5 waters. All I can say is thru hard work both financially and in spirit, we CAN become an INDEPENDENT POWER 5 FOOTBALL PROGRAM SCHOOL in todays atmosphere with him as our leader. He has all he needs right here at West Point. He doesn't need Duke, Kansas or any other school within or without the Power 5 teams. He can make Army a POWER 5 school right here on the Hudson.
It is up to us to keep Jeff here - the administration, the Corps, the grads and our band of supporters.
It is really up to all of us.
1 x

Army55
Warrior

Post by Army55 »

I also believe Army has a real shot against Wisconsin. Army has the program and style to take on W and beat them. Hang in early take your shots and finish them in the 4th quarter.
0 x

RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

The big thing about these so- called 'stretch" games is that we have to win one of these "toughest game of the year" teams. Wisconsin affords the best opportunity to do exactly that.
Down the road we have Tennessee and LSU at their houses and Monken could be elsewhere by then, Not a easy road but we will find out soon enough I guess.
Army wants a top tier program every year and it looks like it is happening.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic