Tyler Isn't an Option Quarterback

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ithurtstowatch
Warrior

Tyler Isn't an Option Quarterback

Post by ithurtstowatch »

I have believed this all along and yesterday reinforced my belief that T. Tyler is a great athlete and would better serve the Army team as a slot back like Robinson. I am not a college football coach, but even I know that there are literally two plays that Tyler can run: Hand ball to full back, and run the ball. That is the extent of his QB abilities. Anderson is having a legendary season as the QB. The odds of him staying our starter for the rest of our games is low due to injury. That means that the 2nd QB will have to play. Tyler should not be that QB. We have other, maybe less athletic or dynamic as runners, QBs who would better run our offense to keep us dangerous as an offense.
6 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Re: Tyler Isn't an Option Quarterback

Post by Oliphant »

You are correct.

The difference between Anderson and Tyler is striking.
1 x
21-17!
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

he also has put the ball on the ground in every game he has played in except for the first game of the season where he only was on two drives

Also, Andersen has impressed me but he is constantly injured. I’m not sure prioritizing speed at qb is the right call going forward
3 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

When Tyler started the first game this year, he looked good. Many wondered why Anderson came in after the first two series. It looked like Tyler had progressed as an option QB. Anderson has been nothing short of outstanding since and Tyler’s fumble concerned me, too, and that needs to be fixed. All that said, I am certainly willing to give Tyler and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.
1 x
guppie58
Warrior

Post by guppie58 »

I wonder why Laws isn't seeing more time. He impressed me a ton in 2019.
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.
thedoc85
Warrior

Post by thedoc85 »

guppie58 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:41 pm I wonder why Laws isn't seeing more time. He impressed me a ton in 2019.
I agree. I may be reading too much into this but listening to comments the coach made when Laws got into a game earlier suggested that perhaps he's struggled to recover from his knee problems.
0 x
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

I was thinking the same thing when Tyler came in. Army has zero chance of beating Wisconsin or Wake with Tyler at QB.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Just re-watched Tyler’s 1st 2 drives during the Ga St game. It was definitely heavy on the QB keepers and dives. He had one nice pass, two plays that looked like TO plays and one toss sweep. While I am not an expert, it does look like he can run the TO, though he is not as crisp as Anderson. Of course, Anderson has had nearly 4 full games of experience so far this year and that has helped his development.
0 x
ArmyFan1995
Warrior

Post by ArmyFan1995 »

He certainly is the best quarterback option though ....
0 x
Usma80
Warrior

Post by Usma80 »

I don’t believe he’s the best option at all - we might get by Ball State, but Wisconsin will eat us up as soon as they find out he’s 2 dimensional. If Anderson can’t go, I’d rather have Jones. If we want to use his speed, put him back at slot back - And why has Ballard not seen a single snap yet? There better be a good reason, because there have been opportunities to get him some.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic