AAC Expansion News

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Oliphant
Warrior

AAC Expansion News

Post by Oliphant »

This is not a pro or anti expansion thread. Just a reporting of the facts.

AAC is expected to add 6 C-USA teams (Rice, UAB, UNT, UTSA, FAU, and Charlotte)

That would move them to 14 FB members.

It is now extremely likely that any slot for Army in the AAC is gone. (Unless just we and Air Force wanted in but that's very unlikely)

I didn't expect the AAC to go for 6 teams. Methinks, they are expecting SMU and Memphis to be leaving soon.
0 x
21-17!
rog66
Warrior

Re: AAC Expansion News

Post by rog66 »

Oliphant wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:13 pm This is not a pro or anti expansion thread. Just a reporting of the facts.

AAC is expected to add 6 C-USA teams (Rice, UAB, UNT, UTSA, FAU, and Charlotte)

That would move them to 14 FB members.

It is now extremely likely that any slot for Army in the AAC is gone. (Unless just we and Air Force wanted in but that's very unlikely)

I didn't expect the AAC to go for 6 teams. Methinks, they are expecting SMU and Memphis to be leaving soon.
AAC has 11 teams now, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF leaving back to 8 teams. If you are right and Memphis and SMU leave now that's down to 6 teams. If all of the teams join (Rice, UAB, UNT, UTSA, FAU, and Charlotte) back to 12 teams again. The problem the has AAC is with all of the quality teams leaving they go back to being an irrelevant conference. Replacing quality teams with low grade teams does nothing to improve the image of the AAC nor does it add any significant value to the conference. In other words the AAC will be a low grade G5 conference that still has dreams (And yes, that is all it is a dream) to be a P5 conference without any quality football teams.
I agree with you that what you wrote here will probably happen, but it will then be an irrelevant G5 conference as I have said previously.
Reading this makes me glad Army didn't join the AAC or any conference.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

For all the complaints and talk about Army's football schedule, the teams that we'd play in these conferences are the exact same teams we'd play an an independent...rice...north texas...UTSA....etc....

I don't really see a good conference home for Army, and that is 100% fine with me.

The logical thing for these northeaster's to do would be form an 8-team conference: Army, navy, UCONN, Umass, TEmple, Buffalo and new additions from Virginia like LIberty and James Madison. But that will never happen.
0 x
RespectAPA
Warrior

Post by RespectAPA »

Looks like it's possible that the C-USA will be left with around 4 members when all is said and done. This could be a golden opportunity for UConn, Army, and Liberty to put into practice their plan for an Indy-oriented conference and rebuild the C-USA after our own image; small divisions and no cross-division play so we only have 4 conference games a year at most [against teams we'd be playing anyway, UConn, UMass, Liberty...] and get access to a 13th game through the conference championship, and also access to the G5 CFP slot that requires being a "conference champion".

Oh, and also the massive influx of exit fee money that will be coming in if the conference doesn't collapse.

This could be huge for the program! Hope it doesn't get kneejerked against because of the C-USA name.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

RespectAPA wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:08 pm Looks like it's possible that the C-USA will be left with around 4 members when all is said and done. This could be a golden opportunity for UConn, Army, and Liberty to put into practice their plan for an Indy-oriented conference and rebuild the C-USA after our own image; small divisions and no cross-division play so we only have 4 conference games a year at most [against teams we'd be playing anyway, UConn, UMass, Liberty...] and get access to a 13th game through the conference championship, and also access to the G5 CFP slot that requires being a "conference champion".

Oh, and also the massive influx of exit fee money that will be coming in if the conference doesn't collapse.

This could be huge for the program! Hope it doesn't get kneejerked against because of the C-USA name.
Just had that discussion as well. Could do, as you describe, maybe 2 4-team divisions. You play in your division, maybe 1 game versus other division and then for division title game, but then have open ended scheduling as well

East: Army, Uconn, UMass, Buffalo
Middle: WKU, MTSU, ODU and La Tech
0 x
RespectAPA
Warrior

Post by RespectAPA »

It sounds like James Madison and Liberty are both pretty likely going to be a part of this C-USA patch-up. I was perplexed by Liberty at first, but then I realized what was going on; it really is all about that exit fee money, I believe.

And Liberty, not having to pay exit fees themselves to join the patch-up to make bank off of exit fee money, have very little risk here. If the conference falls apart, they're just back to being Independent, like they already were. And they're a valuable brand that the C-USA would like. [and the same applies for us, and UConn... to some extent: Liberty is probably willing to join with all sports, but UConn definitely wouldn't. Would we?]

I'm surprised that NMSU hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I've seen, though. NMSU in the conference would really help them trying to keep UTEP from not just going independent/FCS.
0 x
palidog
Warrior

Post by palidog »

I just hope we are not positioning ourselves as an afterthought in college football. With everyone joining a league, Army risks not having enough teams to play, or being forced to play more and more games on the road to get a legitimate game. And, there is no way that Buffalo is leaving the MAC for some make-believe eastern conference....
1 x
2014CenturyMan
Warrior

Post by 2014CenturyMan »

RespectAPA wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 pm It sounds like James Madison and Liberty are both pretty likely going to be a part of this C-USA patch-up. I was perplexed by Liberty at first, but then I realized what was going on; it really is all about that exit fee money, I believe.

And Liberty, not having to pay exit fees themselves to join the patch-up to make bank off of exit fee money, have very little risk here. If the conference falls apart, they're just back to being Independent, like they already were. And they're a valuable brand that the C-USA would like. [and the same applies for us, and UConn... to some extent: Liberty is probably willing to join with all sports, but UConn definitely wouldn't. Would we?]

I'm surprised that NMSU hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I've seen, though. NMSU in the conference would really help them trying to keep UTEP from not just going independent/FCS.
CBS is reporting James Madison will join the Sun Belt.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... next-week/
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic