Merry Christmas Army Nation

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Merry Christmas Army Nation

Post by ARMORMAN »

Wow!

The Men in Black salvaged our season. From bitterly disappointing to breathtaking and exhilarating. From inexplicable letdowns vs Ball St, WF, and navy to literally a Hollywood finish to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against a SEC team in a nationally televised game. A spectacular end to the season, and a great reason for celebration and satisfaction and optimism for the next 8 months. 9 wins and a bowl victory. Wow.

Yeah, we have some issues to iron out.

#1 for sure: We need our OC to do some serious self-examination, imho. Yesterday he called a great 1st half, and a great 3d quarter and he got us the lead. That's to his super-credit. We had the good sense to keep QB1 in the game yesterday while he was successful, which was a good lesson learned. But we resorted to predictable play-calling and, perhaps worse, predictable snap counts when T2 had to come in. GREAT CALL on the 4th down TD pass, but on our last 2 unsuccessful 3 and outs, we got uber-conservative and allowed Mizzou to stack the box, jump the snap count, get the ball back, and take the lead with a minute left...Not T2's fault, he ran what was called, but they had 9 in the box for crissake. We cannot be that predictable next year. Cannot. Davis is also our O line coach, and there's certainly room for improvement there as well. We unpredictably failed to move the pile, or create holes, or block the right assignments... Dunno if it's a pure talent issue, or coaching, or playcalling (again), but we need to get better if we intend to remain a smash-mouth, run-it-down-your throat offense...

#2 on defense: Nate Woody had a very good year, but like Davis, I think some self-exam is in order. We had a sack machine with Carter, but frankly, with that exception, we did not pressure the QB consistently this year, and when we play a soft zone to boot, it can be fatal. WF dropped SEVENTY on us. W Ky threw at will in the 2d half. Yesterday's QB had too much time, EXCEPT WHEN WE BLITZED, which is my point. With guys like Morrison and Broughton and others, I wonder why we didn't dial it up more often.. I harken back to Bateman, who "solved all our problems with aggression"....We pressured the Liberty QB, and we need to do the same next year with all the passing teams we will be facing, or they'll pick us apart.

#3 for our beloved HC: As P&D has often pointed out, in the final analysis, the players have to execute. Jeff is wedded to that philosophy, as we all know. He talks about blocking and tackling as the keys to winning. But we had some unexpected and disappointing letdowns in intensity or desperation this year, especially vs ball state and navy. That has to be analyzed and addressed, imho. Why did that happen and how do we fix it?

But again, in WAY proper perspective, we had a hugely successful season! Wins vs Ga State, W Ky, afa, Liberty, and now, Mizzou! 9 wins total and a bowl victory! Remain undefeated at the AF bowl! CIC stays at home! Great individual performances and great team results! Breathtaking finishes vs af and Mizzou! By any reasonable measure, it was a banner year for The Black Flag Bunch! And here's the best part:

We keep Jeff Monken!!

So, Merry Christmas to all who back the Black and Gold! So much to be grateful for....
6 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Re: Merry Christmas Army Nation

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

something else i liked was that we seemed to be feeding the hot hand (buchanan). I know we have a lot of great backs that we like to work in, but it was nice to watch him pound the other team vs cycling him and out every play. i feel like 90% of our offense can be sorted out by consistently playing our best players and not getting cute. If we can do this and make occasional adjustments we can be really successful on offense.

hard for me to criticize our defense too much. They made some huge plays down the stretch and gave our offense the chance to seal the deal. Our defense benefits hugely when our offense is grinding out half quarter drives.
2 x
Giant110
Warrior

Post by Giant110 »

Merry Christmas to all!
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

It is always a great feeling when you win your last game. It makes your off season much, much more acceptable.

Thank you, Bowl season.
0 x
rog66
Warrior

Post by rog66 »

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year too! So nice to finish on a winning note beating an SEC team.
1 x
JKillerK
Warrior

Post by JKillerK »

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy and Prosperous New Year. GO ARMY!
2 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

Merry Christmas everyone! We have our fights but we are the best Army fans in the business.

"God bless us, everyone!"
1 x
21-17!
westcoastarmyfan
Warrior

Post by westcoastarmyfan »

Merry Christmas to all, especially the troops in the field and away from home
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

ARMORMAN wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:37 am Wow!

The Men in Black salvaged our season. From bitterly disappointing to breathtaking and exhilarating. From inexplicable letdowns vs Ball St, WF, and navy to literally a Hollywood finish to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against a SEC team in a nationally televised game. A spectacular end to the season, and a great reason for celebration and satisfaction and optimism for the next 8 months. 9 wins and a bowl victory. Wow.

Yeah, we have some issues to iron out.

#1 for sure: We need our OC to do some serious self-examination, imho. Yesterday he called a great 1st half, and a great 3d quarter and he got us the lead. That's to his super-credit. We had the good sense to keep QB1 in the game yesterday while he was successful, which was a good lesson learned. But we resorted to predictable play-calling and, perhaps worse, predictable snap counts when T2 had to come in. GREAT CALL on the 4th down TD pass, but on our last 2 unsuccessful 3 and outs, we got uber-conservative and allowed Mizzou to stack the box, jump the snap count, get the ball back, and take the lead with a minute left...Not T2's fault, he ran what was called, but they had 9 in the box for crissake. We cannot be that predictable next year. Cannot. Davis is also our O line coach, and there's certainly room for improvement there as well. We unpredictably failed to move the pile, or create holes, or block the right assignments... Dunno if it's a pure talent issue, or coaching, or playcalling (again), but we need to get better if we intend to remain a smash-mouth, run-it-down-your throat offense...

#2 on defense: Nate Woody had a very good year, but like Davis, I think some self-exam is in order. We had a sack machine with Carter, but frankly, with that exception, we did not pressure the QB consistently this year, and when we play a soft zone to boot, it can be fatal. WF dropped SEVENTY on us. W Ky threw at will in the 2d half. Yesterday's QB had too much time, EXCEPT WHEN WE BLITZED, which is my point. With guys like Morrison and Broughton and others, I wonder why we didn't dial it up more often.. I harken back to Bateman, who "solved all our problems with aggression"....We pressured the Liberty QB, and we need to do the same next year with all the passing teams we will be facing, or they'll pick us apart.

#3 for our beloved HC: As P&D has often pointed out, in the final analysis, the players have to execute. Jeff is wedded to that philosophy, as we all know. He talks about blocking and tackling as the keys to winning. But we had some unexpected and disappointing letdowns in intensity or desperation this year, especially vs ball state and navy. That has to be analyzed and addressed, imho. Why did that happen and how do we fix it?

But again, in WAY proper perspective, we had a hugely successful season! Wins vs Ga State, W Ky, afa, Liberty, and now, Mizzou! 9 wins total and a bowl victory! Remain undefeated at the AF bowl! CIC stays at home! Great individual performances and great team results! Breathtaking finishes vs af and Mizzou! By any reasonable measure, it was a banner year for The Black Flag Bunch! And here's the best part:

We keep Jeff Monken!!

So, Merry Christmas to all who back the Black and Gold! So much to be grateful for....
First, just me...but I'd rather be 9-4 Army in 2021 than 4-8 Navy in 2021.

Second, regarding #1, I think there is a better than minor chance that we see a change in the play calling duties prior to next year. To be clear, I do not think Davis is going anywhere. But I definitely could see an analyst like drinkall being more involved in play calling. And, like you, I am concerned about our playbook when we have a certain QB in the game. But September is a LOOOOOONG ways away, and I am confident we'll be good at the QB position

Regarding #2, I think we "are what we are" in terms of defense. We do the bend not break, but sometimes that is going to yield Wake forest type games. A few years ago versus san diego state, one of my favorite all time games, it seemed like every time they touched the ball they scored. That might be the nature of army's talent?

Regarding #3, I think given the uniqueness of Army, I think it is an unrealistic expectation to expect us to play flawlessly 12-13 games a year. We are going to lay an egg 3 or 4 times, like we saw versus Ball State and Navy. I think that is just the nature of being an Army fan and dealing with WPR midterms and travel and lack of sleep and all the other stuff no one else has to deal with.
1 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Don't disagree fundamentally; just around the edges....

We will be fine at QB. I never intimated otherwise. Frankly, there's a plebe (Bryson Daily) who might just rise up and take charge. 6' 220 lbs of Texas football. Throws a nice spiral and runs tough. With his body size, hopefully a lot more durable than our guys have been of late. Hope he or Cade Ballard can break through, although I wouldn't be disappointed if Tyler spends the off season working on passing and the "new play caller" or maybe an "enlightened Davis" lets him pitch as well. Jemel is still there, and he's good too, as is Bellan.... We'll be just fine, especially (or maybe IF) our play-calling is not so predictable.

Don't mind the "bend don't break" defense, just suggesting that a more frequent blitz might compensate for the lack of QB pressure. Especially now with Bonsu and Cockrill and Duval graduating, can't let these QB's stand around and go through their progressions and checkdowns until they find an open guy....which they will. Guys like Broughton are built for the blitz, like Jimmy Hammersticks was....

It was my last point that's most concerning. I agree that we'll likely lay an egg somewhere in the season. WPR's, lack of sleep, USMA pressure, etc, definitely distract from football. No doubt. BUT NOT AGAINST THE SQUIDS. Never. Spoke with Bob Sutton about this loss (which hit me harder than any in recent memory) and he's always of the identical frame of mind: "The most desperate team wins that game." That wasn't us this year. And it was especially maddening because unlike any other year in recent memory, WE WERE ABSOLUTELY THE MOST TALENTED TEAM. I don't care what position group you wanna talk about, we had the better players. QB, Slots, B back, WR, D line, Backers (I'll still take Arik over Faggot) secondary...We had more talent. But they wanted it more, and that should not sit well. Frankly, if I know JM, he absolutely agrees and will address that in every future A/N game. I think our play-calling was also unimaginative and predictable, but it was the lack of comparative intensity that just killed me....

But again and again, in perspective, it was a banner season! Successful by any reasonable definition, and I'm hugely grateful!
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic