Transfer Portal and the academy

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
Warrior

Re: Transfer Portal and the academy

Post by RABBLE »

You take an oath and unless serious matters over- ride your oath, by god, you stick by it. The transfer portal is certainly not a serious matter.
God, Country, Family and Personal Pride for a worthy cause, any cause, are the things that really matter.
1 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

wpgrad wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:12 pm
westcoastarmyfan wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:36 pm A friend's son entered the transfer portal last year. I obviously don't know how the Army players handled their transfer but he had analyzed all FBS and some FCS schools at his position to determine who needed someone like himself. He said this is common practice that players do this analysis before entering it. They do not enter it and hope someone picks them up.
Perhaps the situation worked fine for your friend, but reality from actual data in the past year is around 950 kids entered portal and about 240 founds homes

3 of every 4 are left without a chair when the music stops

Not sure who is giving these kids advice, but they likely need new advisors

Yep most kids won't find a home. There are only about 11k scholarships total in FBS. Last I heard there were roughly 1500 players in the portal and I believe that number is now higher but could be wrong. And where you go and wind up is a big question. You leave Army for what? Ball State? Or Kansas? Most these kids won't wind up at a major P5 school. Even those transferring from major P5 schools. So where will a guy from Army wind up? Who knows. Ole Miss has a DB from Navy but other than him I know of no others. Alston probably gets picked up by a decent school due to his size and hands but not necessarily his speed. He may never see the field again at a P5 school. Robinson is in a different boat but he'll have to find a place that needs a running back and one his size. He's perfect for our offense but would likely struggle in a spread or RPO system.

I agree with the comments that these young men need better advisers however I might caution all of us to think more broadly. Let's not assume all of these young men are doing well at the academy. Academics often get these guys as can honor or just the daily discipline. There are many many reasons an Army player might have to pursue this route. It's not always cut and dry that they want to leave the Brotherhood. It might very well be they have run out of options at USMA and this is their chance to have a second life. I can't urge you all enough to think deeply about all the "Other things" a Cadet faces that might not be going their way.

This was true when I was there and has been all along. Just now with the portal it's public and a formalized process. One thing I have faith in is Jeff Monken and staff will find replacements and develop the next group. We aren't short on players. And we've replaced guys every single year. Maybe not always the same style of play but we've replaced a lot of guys year after year so I think they will find guys to step up in this situation as well.

PD
2 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

PrideandDream wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:02 pm
wpgrad wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:12 pm
westcoastarmyfan wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:36 pm A friend's son entered the transfer portal last year. I obviously don't know how the Army players handled their transfer but he had analyzed all FBS and some FCS schools at his position to determine who needed someone like himself. He said this is common practice that players do this analysis before entering it. They do not enter it and hope someone picks them up.
Perhaps the situation worked fine for your friend, but reality from actual data in the past year is around 950 kids entered portal and about 240 founds homes

3 of every 4 are left without a chair when the music stops

Not sure who is giving these kids advice, but they likely need new advisors

Yep most kids won't find a home. There are only about 11k scholarships total in FBS. Last I heard there were roughly 1500 players in the portal and I believe that number is now higher but could be wrong. And where you go and wind up is a big question. You leave Army for what? Ball State? Or Kansas? Most these kids won't wind up at a major P5 school. Even those transferring from major P5 schools. So where will a guy from Army wind up? Who knows. Ole Miss has a DB from Navy but other than him I know of no others. Alston probably gets picked up by a decent school due to his size and hands but not necessarily his speed. He may never see the field again at a P5 school. Robinson is in a different boat but he'll have to find a place that needs a running back and one his size. He's perfect for our offense but would likely struggle in a spread or RPO system.

I agree with the comments that these young men need better advisers however I might caution all of us to think more broadly. Let's not assume all of these young men are doing well at the academy. Academics often get these guys as can honor or just the daily discipline. There are many many reasons an Army player might have to pursue this route. It's not always cut and dry that they want to leave the Brotherhood. It might very well be they have run out of options at USMA and this is their chance to have a second life. I can't urge you all enough to think deeply about all the "Other things" a Cadet faces that might not be going their way.

This was true when I was there and has been all along. Just now with the portal it's public and a formalized process. One thing I have faith in is Jeff Monken and staff will find replacements and develop the next group. We aren't short on players. And we've replaced guys every single year. Maybe not always the same style of play but we've replaced a lot of guys year after year so I think they will find guys to step up in this situation as well.

PD
100% agree. As i said previously, if this is a non-football decision, i truly wish them well

If this is a football decision, the chances of it working out are very, very, very small. 1 out of 4 or 5 they’ll even find a spot. Probably 1 out of 25 they’ll see minutes in new home
0 x
Mudent
Warrior

Post by Mudent »

I'm with Pride - not everyone can accept the regimented life of a cadet - reveille, inspections, tacs, academics, regs and restrictions, 30 days of leave, etc, etc. Then add possible flunking a course, honor questions and discipline problems. And play football for Army! Go Army!
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

But after Yearling year, these guys are half- way home. They have gotten thru the two toughest years of West Point. Then they decide it is not worth it for the next two years. It doesn't make much sense to me. It's like you are on the 15- yard line after returning a punt from your own goal line and you step out of bounds because you are tired. It"s sad they gave - up at that point and I feel they will regret what they have done 10 or 20 years down the line. I think many doors will close for them when it becomes time for a position in or out of the military.
1 x
bty612006
Warrior

Post by bty612006 »

Rabble, although the issue of leaving after Plebe and Yearling year as discussed on this site have been limited to Football players and the Transfer Portal for athletes, the same issue exists for every Cadet at the Academy and, similarly, for every ROTC Cadet. There is no obligation for the first two years if you have an ROTC Scholarship. West Point Cadets can walk away up to the first class of Cow year without an obligation. ROTC signs a contract for their last two years. West Point Cadets take a new oath starting Cow year. All have an obligation, should they resign and drop out or flunk out. In essence, the Transfer Portal is not in any way new for West Point athletes than it has always been for West Point Cadets, except that they do not have to sit out a year.
0 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

Agree with all previous posts - but it begs a certain question. Is Coach JM really in a position to lecture anyone concerning someone wanting to test the waters?
2 x
OptionThis
Warrior

Post by OptionThis »

Good point faninpa.

Though for now its quiet in the college FB coach portal, there are likely still shoes to drop that could involve more JM rumors. For instance, IF Coach Harbaugh acts on his vague suggestions he will leave Michigan for the NFL, that may create another series of openings that may result in an open spot that may be of interest to Coach M. Wild speculation ? Sure, but the point is a lot can happen between now and September 2022....
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I just do not agree with the transfer portal at all. If some player wants to change schools and wants to play sports, he should have to sit out a year. That is all. The old rule was far superior to what we now have in place.
0 x
withaheart
Warrior

Post by withaheart »

bty612006 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:39 pm Rabble, although the issue of leaving after Plebe and Yearling year as discussed on this site have been limited to Football players and the Transfer Portal for athletes, the same issue exists for every Cadet at the Academy and, similarly, for every ROTC Cadet. There is no obligation for the first two years if you have an ROTC Scholarship. West Point Cadets can walk away up to the first class of Cow year without an obligation. ROTC signs a contract for their last two years. West Point Cadets take a new oath starting Cow year. All have an obligation, should they resign and drop out or flunk out. In essence, the Transfer Portal is not in any way new for West Point athletes than it has always been for West Point Cadets, except that they do not have to sit out a year.
"...the same issue exists for every Cadet at the Academy and, similarly, for every ROTC Cadet. There is no obligation for the first two years if you have an ROTC Scholarship."
Not true. ROTC Cadets who earn a scholarship are obligated after 1 year if 4-year scholarship and immediately if 3-year scholarship.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic