Question for Rabble (or anyone)

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Justafan11
Warrior

Question for Rabble (or anyone)

Post by Justafan11 »

Rabble - I have many Army football line-up cards from 1943 in addition to an Army yearbook (Howitzer) from 1944. I also have other programs and memorabilia from that time period. My question to you (or anyone) is this something the Academy would be interested in? I know you recently mentioned you had items you were looking to offer so I'm just curious how successful you were. My dad was a member of the Army band in the 1940s and I am afraid these items will just be destroyed upon my passing. Anyway, if anyone thinks West Point would be interested let me know. Thanks everyone and GO ARMY!
0 x
admin
Site Admin

Re: Question for Rabble (or anyone)

Post by admin »

Thanks for visiting our forum. I'm sure someone here will have some advice for you.
0 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

Justafan11 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:32 pm Rabble - I have many Army football line-up cards from 1943 in addition to an Army yearbook (Howitzer) from 1944. I also have other programs and memorabilia from that time period. My question to you (or anyone) is this something the Academy would be interested in? I know you recently mentioned you had items you were looking to offer so I'm just curious how successful you were. My dad was a member of the Army band in the 1940s and I am afraid these items will just be destroyed upon my passing. Anyway, if anyone thinks West Point would be interested let me know. Thanks everyone and GO ARMY!
I imagine they would be. I would contact the athletics communications office or the archives at West Point. Provide a full list of what material you have.

I would love to have that material myself. Nothing beats historical documents! I have several CFB guides from the 1930s and 1940s.
0 x
21-17!
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I have contacted Scott Robson, top marketing man for Athletics, the Athletic Department , the Director of Media Relations AND the Director of Special Collections for the USMA Library.
My collections include EVERYTHING connected to Army Football for the past 77 years. It is a treasure trove of information I know the academy would like and does not have. I built an extension on my home consisting of library shelving thru out two rooms. It is completely organized and cataloged and ready to be shipped or picked up at anyone's convenience and as a complete DONATION to boot.
E-mails were sent to each with an added gift of a writeup of every game Army has ever played (Since the beginning -1890) via firestick.
Scott Robson texted back saying what he would do for me letting the right people to know about it. That was 2 months ago. Nothing else since.
Why am I want to give it to West Point? Easy answer. I'm 84 plus and I would want somebody to appreciate a life- time hobby of mine instead of when I pass, all this doesn't wind up in my local garbage dump. Maybe it is not important to them so much, but it is to me. I just want a home for it.
If someone would like to see it all, I am available. Let me know.
2 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

Call the library and the museum just outside Thayer Gate. They will work with you and ensure it doesn’t go to the landfill otherwise known as the dump. Al Gore’s Amazing Internet will help you get connected. Note that two months ago was the prep for busiest time at WP. Not an excuse but just saying. Note number 2: if you are not on the list at AAA you will not get good service. Most of those people are transitory. Fred donated A LOT of money to build the museum and Olympic Village. The taxpayers have always funded the library which is a gem and museum in itself. Don’t give up. Your treasures are welcome.
1 x
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

Rabble, tell them your collection commemorates pride month along with Army football and you will hear back from them before lunch.
2 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Oh, I am not giving up in trying to donate it all to West Point. It is the matter of finding the right person who would not be a necessarily transitory person who just works for the academy but one who has a deep interest in preserving the history of the football program associated with the academy.
I did contact the special collection department but no answer yet or reply. I'll keep plugging away at it.
Logistically, it would not be an easy task, packing, shipping. It is all cataloged and easy to identify.
I just need a good contact that would want to work with me.
77 years collecting it all plus other material I'm sure they would appreciate.
I even have Chris Cagle's 1930 Howitzer yearbook. He never did graduate tho. He got married his senior year and had to leave. He was one of the early Army greats who never got a degree or a commission. Shame.
1 x
Justafan11
Warrior

Post by Justafan11 »

Just want to thank everyone for their response. I appreciate the information and help. Rabble if I come across someone who is helpful (sincerely helpful) I'll let you know. Btw, I keep finding more. Just came across a baseball line-up card dated Monday, April 14, 1941 N.Y. Giants vs. West Point - Mel Ott hit fourth that day. What names on that Giants roster - wow! Anyway, thanks again everyone - I enjoy all your posts.
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Justafan11 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:47 am Just want to thank everyone for their response. I appreciate the information and help. Rabble if I come across someone who is helpful (sincerely helpful) I'll let you know. Btw, I keep finding more. Just came across a baseball line-up card dated Monday, April 14, 1941 N.Y. Giants vs. West Point - Mel Ott hit fourth that day. What names on that Giants roster - wow! Anyway, thanks again everyone - I enjoy all your posts.
We had quite a good relationship with the old NY Giant and NY Yankees baseball club. For quite a while both teams would travel up to old Doubleday Field and play an exhibition game with the Army team. The game was usually played right before the regular season opened as the teams were just arriving back from Florida or other cities of the south where they had their spring training. Great days and pretty good crowds attended.
Interesting fact that some may not know is that the 1943 major league teams were restricted from traveling south for training because of the war so the NY Yankees had their spring training in the big Army Field House (Gillis) that year.
Even today the Yankee organization treats West Point well as various elements of the academy are invited to the games and other functions run by the club.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic