JM Interview with 24/7 Sports

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

JM Interview with 24/7 Sports

Post by WrekDivr »

JM talks about importance of CIC, recruiting. I really appreciate the way he represents WP.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -programs/
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Re: JM Interview with 24/7 Sports

Post by ARMORMAN »

You are so right. JM is an outstanding representative of West Point, partly because he himself possesses and demonstrates all the qualities and attributes we look for in recruiting cadet/athletes: character, strength, leadership, etc. In other words, he walks the walk, and I'm so proud and grateful we have him.

As an aside, couldn't help but notice that 247 Sports didn't exactly rank our 2022 recruiting class very high (175th). I doubt that differs very much from most yearly ratings, as we don't target NFL-potential players who probably wouldn't qualify academically and instead select and DEVELOP a lot of smart, over-achieving 2-star guys. Part of our DNA.
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

I think another thing that strikes me about Monken is how focused he is on his mission at West Point and that is to Win Football Games. Not to compete. Not to field a team. Not to just show up on Saturday. Not to look good in uniforms. Not to train officers. But to put together a team of men and teach them to focus on their individual jobs to achieve a common goal that can only be accomplished collectively. And by collectively I mean in a complex and dynamic environment that requires tedious planning and executing over and over and over and demands high physical capabilities and extreme mental toughness for extended periods of time. It requires both small units like positions, larger units like offense and defense and special teams and the larger unit of the team. It requires all kinds of supporting units of coaches, equipment, media, trainers, strength and conditioning, managers, operations, administrative, and others to make it all work behind the scenes. Monken is the head of all of this. And he stands behind these players and fights for everything he needs and fights for every resource to win. Even when it might be unpopular he fights for what he and his people need to complete the mission. And he takes casualties. We lose guys along the way. We lose coaches and players and staff all the time. Sometimes to the market. Sometimes to behavior like the spring break incident. Monken doesn't dwell on that. He moves forward with who he has. Continually marching towards the common goal of winning.

Sometimes it may be uncomfortable. I've said it a thousand times. This isn't a boys choir we are running. It's football. It's not a sport. It is a violent game played by violent men. It isn't for the weak minded, weak spirited, or weak hearted. And because of that it has an edge that is extremely exciting. That edge has some consequences from time to time. And you have to walk that fine edge and deal with both the highs and lows. Monken does this as well as anyone I've ever seen. It's hard enough at a normal school to be a great football coach. We all know that winning at an Academy consistently is even harder and it's extremely hard to do so in today's environment with media, NIL, and everything else going on. I think Monken almost always does a fantastic job with the media and representing USMA and West Point. My hope is that we have generations of players and more importantly graduates that leave USMA understanding that Winning Matters. And not just in Football but in everything we do at West Point. I don't care if it's Football or the Debate team. By god we need to be focussed on the outcome. And I have no question that in the end that's where Monken's mind is almost always' focused.

PD
3 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Target!
Best post I've ever read on this forum, period.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

WrekDivr wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:37 pm JM talks about importance of CIC, recruiting. I really appreciate the way he represents WP.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -programs/
Thanks for posting. As always, CM represents with excellence.
0 x
BG
rog66
Warrior

Post by rog66 »

P&D, WOW! Best article I have read in a while (Except For Rabble My Personal Favorite) on Army football. You covered all the reasons why we need to keep Coach Monken for as long as possible. LOSING IS NEVER AN OPTION WITH JEFF MONKEN. Thanks for the great article, very inspiring!
0 x
Constant69
Warrior

graduates that leave USMA understanding that Winning Matters.

Post by Constant69 »

'
0 x
Constant69
Warrior

graduates that leave USMA understanding that Winning Matters.

Post by Constant69 »

'
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

Great thread and posts. At this year’s graduation banquet the speaker was Army Chief of Staff General Jim McConville. He had two messages for the Class of 2022. Take care of your people, give them every resource available and then find more so they can be masters of their craft. Second, there are no runner up and participation trophies in combat. Winning Matters. Lasted about 12 minutes and he sat down. Very pertinent to this thread I think.
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

he won me over when i found out players were quitting football because spring ball was too tough in his first season...while the army and west point have lost a little of the doing hard things because they're hard culture, glad to see he made it a cornerstone of our program

https://www.recordonline.com/story/spor ... 571000007/
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic