ARMY / NAVY pre-game thoughts

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
hammerdown
Warrior

ARMY / NAVY pre-game thoughts

Post by hammerdown »

I Expect Army to keep it conservative. Navy will make it difficult
to get the pitch or sweep to the outside, as AF did. Army will then run
between the tackles as we are so accustom too. Markel has been a nice
addition to Buchannon/Riley, and brings some speed to the b-back.
Thou, I just don't see Army being able to run consistently inside.
Like to see them throw a few short routes on 1st down to Alston, but
thats not going to happen. Army's offense play calling will be
based on not losing the game and hopefully Army can break off
2 or 3 big plays.
So the D is going to have to come up big with a turnover or
few big stops. The D has played well last few games, Nate
Woody has been aggressive with his play calling.
Lastly, lets just hope it does not come down to a fg or needing
a big punt. Those 2 areas are struggling.
0 x
LoneStarPhan
Warrior

Re: ARMY / NAVY pre-game thoughts

Post by LoneStarPhan »

Playing not to lose greatly increases the chance that they do.

Frankly, I don’t know what to expect. I have been disappointed often this season. Still, I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised Saturday. A win over Navy ends the season on a positive note and should boost the team moving forward toward 2023.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

I think Navy is going to completely take away the outside. And then do their shifting adjustments they did last 2 years, duplicating what AF did a few weeks ago where we ran for TWENTY yards in the 2nd half.

I am not optimistic. I also thought we'd lose by 20 to Uconn, so maybe I am just clueless.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Even if Navy consistently stops the outside run, we cannot abandon it. We don’t need to run every play outside, just once every other set of downs would help. We have had better overall results when the Slotbacks get the ball 10-15% of the time. If we abandon the outside, this game will be AF all over again (still pissed about that one).

Having a couple of counter plays would also help and make the defense think a bit.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I would like the playbook opened all the way if possible. Dazzle the Mids with every kind of play we are capable of doing. Three sheets to the wind. Do NOT play conservative. Diversify your play portfolio.
Hey, what do we got to lose? We lost the CIC trophy and we lost our Bowl game. We lost a winning record. Let us attain one objective this season and that is to beat Navy.
I am tired of the same two plays being run this whole season which has caused us all these failed goals. Make it exciting. Open it up and see what happens. Do not play conservative. Show the world we aren't a two- play predictable team. If we lose anyway? At least we pulled out all the stops in the try.
1 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Agree with Rabble. This is a 1 game season and all stops should be pulled out to build a winning game plan and win this damn game.
1 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

Given that our offensive coordinator has been here 9 years and we are starting a qb playing in his third A/N game, with two weeks to prepare, you’d think that we should be able to put together a game plan tailor made for this game, and adjust accordingly.

I don’t think that will happen. I hope I’m wrong.
2 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

Another thought I had, is that if we lose, that would would mean we lost 3 out of the last four years against Navy. With the exception of 2019, Navy has been a pretty bad football team the past few years. Last year was truly unacceptable that we didn't win.

This year feels like a must win for sure. Would definitely feel like we are righting the ship ending the year with a three game winning streak and a win over navy.
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

gabn92 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:42 am Agree with Rabble. This is a 1 game season and all stops should be pulled out to build a winning game plan and win this damn game.
It’s one game to go from a crappy season to just a bad one. Even with a win we won’t have a winning season, won’t go to a bowl game, won’t win the CIC. Beating Navy will take a lot of the sting out of a sub-par season, but doesn’t change the fact that none of our key goals were met. They were all achievable, too. Winning any of the 3 games we had a lead at halftime and came from ahead to lose and a win vs. Navy gets us a winning season and a bowl game. Beat AF and a Navy win gives us all that and the CIC.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Pulling out every conceivable play is dependent on winning. If we do the same old two-play nonsense, I believe we will lose. Let us give ourselves a chance to win and not a miserable loss.
Doing the same old thing, expecting something different will prove nothing more than pure folly and stupidity.
Realism does have its consequences. Do things to win. Expect to win. Win !!
I want to see bombs, reverses, traps, the air full of footballs. Everything. Dazzle the Mids with diversity.
And after 4 quarters, we still lose, I will not be happy but I know that we gave them all we had. What more can you ask of our team?
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic