Spring Game

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
3seconddelay
New Recruit

Re: Spring Game

Post by 3seconddelay » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Black 35-28. Bolton TD
0 x

3seconddelay
New Recruit

Post by 3seconddelay » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:20 pm

4th and 2 gold . Black gets the stop game over
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Thanks for the spot reports!

Once you’ve had time to digest what you saw, we would all probably appreciate your thoughts and summary observations
0 x

3seconddelay
New Recruit

Post by 3seconddelay » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:17 am

Just got in from the game. 4th quarter was in driving rain. The Black team wanted it more from what I saw. A number of guys didn’t dress. Anderson did not suit up and Tyler jumped on the opportunity to make his case as Hopkins’s backup. He’s listed at 153 lbs but he looks bigger than that. He made something out of nothing all night but always kept when he should have pitched. I think he has a better arm than Thomas.

Hopkins was in a red jersey so he was not tackled. Other than that there were some big hits. Not sure what’s going on with the FBs. Didn’t see much of Slomka and I don’t think McCoy dressed, but Barnard is a beast. Reminds me of Hassin and Davidson somewhat. Bolton got moving too in the second half. I think they will be fine at the B-back. Didn’t see much from the slots except Kell Walker. Hancock didn’t play.

There was a lot of passing. Tyler looked better than Laws, but all, including Hopkins, overthrew by a lot, multiple times. I saw a lot of new formations on offense that I didn’t recognize. Really only saw two classic TO drives, one from each side. It appears that they are really opening up the playbook on offense. The MOB was solid on both sides.

Coach Loose is continuing to bring it. It looks like the defense will be more aggressive, as we saw in the bowl game. Too many penalties, three fumbles and one interception. Hopkins almost threw another near the end of regulation. I expect Coach Monken will say there is much to work on with steam coming out of his ears. That said, it was the most exciting and high energy Spring Game I’ve witnessed in 25 years.
3 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:09 am

Thanks for the details...almost as good as getting to be there in person.

I like that they are doing some experimenting and trying some new things--complacency is a killer. Spring is the time to introduce some of those things to see what sticks and what needs to be changed or dropped. Penalties and turnovers are not surprising, given new players and some new wrinkles. I remember a spring game before the Monken era where the score was something like 7-0...almost no offensive production at all. I think it is encouraging that the score was 35-28.
1 x

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Great report 3SD!

Post by ARMORMAN » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:52 pm

And much appreciated...
0 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Pretty encouraging spring game. I expected to hear Barnard's name called this season. Bolton is a nice surprise. He's a pretty big guy so I was surprised to see him move. A very pleasant surprise.
0 x

armyftball
New Recruit

Post by armyftball » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 pm

Awesome Reporting 3SD!!!
0 x

armyftball
New Recruit

Post by armyftball » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:26 am

0 x