Returning Players

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
PrideandDream
Warrior

Re: Returning Players

Post by PrideandDream »

https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/ ... kins/12631Everyone wants to go to the portal. But wait till you figure out that those other teams that didn't recruit you aren't going to recruit you now either.

The portal may be great for some but not for others. It doesn't make you taller, bigger, or faster. It doesn't fix a lack of work ethic. It doesn't change the need to be academically eligible. It doesn't make you a better teammate or fix any internal character flaws.

I'm not against any of these kids I just don't think many of them realize what they are putting at risk. Look West Point isn't easy for anyone. And playing football at Army is the "Path of most resistance". But football at other big schools is also going to be hard and very likely they have more talent. So if playing time is what is driving your decision then you had better be a beast or go to another school that has much less talent at your position. Which for many of our kids will mean FCS or lower. Nothing wrong with that they just need to recognize the trade off.

Remember Anthony Adkins? He was a heck of a player for us. Played in only 5 games and had 26 carries on the year at UCLA.
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

Can someone explain how Alston can skirt his military obligation? I know the army life ain’t for everybody, but the kid is a Firstie right? Don’t care that much that he wants to play ball elsewhere (though I wish he stayed), but he isn’t held to the same commitment as the rest of his class? He was catching passes for us in 2020. Doesn’t seem right he can “transfer” unless he’s got some medical issue preventing him from commissioning?
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

prideandream wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:25 pm https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/ ... kins/12631Everyone wants to go to the portal. But wait till you figure out that those other teams that didn't recruit you aren't going to recruit you now either.

The portal may be great for some but not for others. It doesn't make you taller, bigger, or faster. It doesn't fix a lack of work ethic. It doesn't change the need to be academically eligible. It doesn't make you a better teammate or fix any internal character flaws.

I'm not against any of these kids I just don't think many of them realize what they are putting at risk. Look West Point isn't easy for anyone. And playing football at Army is the "Path of most resistance". But football at other big schools is also going to be hard and very likely they have more talent. So if playing time is what is driving your decision then you had better be a beast or go to another school that has much less talent at your position. Which for many of our kids will mean FCS or lower. Nothing wrong with that they just need to recognize the trade off.

Remember Anthony Adkins? He was a heck of a player for us. Played in only 5 games and had 26 carries on the year at UCLA.
" THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE"
0 x
dillondobies
Warrior

Post by dillondobies »

We've lost four players to the transfer portal thus far with possibly more to come. We gain none of course. Not an even playing field by all means. I posted weeks ago that Alston would be gone and found his ongoing injury suspicious at the least - but this is simply my conjecture. As good as he is, he contributed very little while here. I am doubtful that Robinson will be back and could not blame him due to his limited opportunities this year.

I may be way off in what I have written here and would appreciate any corrective feedback.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Dong Fong '09 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:35 pm Can someone explain how Alston can skirt his military obligation? I know the army life ain’t for everybody, but the kid is a Firstie right? Don’t care that much that he wants to play ball elsewhere (though I wish he stayed), but he isn’t held to the same commitment as the rest of his class? He was catching passes for us in 2020. Doesn’t seem right he can “transfer” unless he’s got some medical issue preventing him from commissioning?
The army has lost its spine with regard to making these kids responsible. A kid like Alston can say he tore his ACL, is having “multiple medical issues,” so they will “medically release him “and he owes nothing. With honor violations, it has become the same way. I know firsthand a kid from the Naval Academy, who got booted his senior year for honor and owed nothing.

Its similar to the VA disability. 30 years ago you had to fight to get 10%. Now they give 30/60% to everyone at retirement.
0 x
hiangle6
Warrior

Post by hiangle6 »

wpgrad wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:56 pm
Dong Fong '09 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:35 pm Can someone explain how Alston can skirt his military obligation? I know the army life ain’t for everybody, but the kid is a Firstie right? Don’t care that much that he wants to play ball elsewhere (though I wish he stayed), but he isn’t held to the same commitment as the rest of his class? He was catching passes for us in 2020. Doesn’t seem right he can “transfer” unless he’s got some medical issue preventing him from commissioning?
The army has lost its spine with regard to making these kids responsible. A kid like Alston can say he tore his ACL, is having “multiple medical issues,” so they will “medically release him “and he owes nothing. With honor violations, it has become the same way. I know firsthand a kid from the Naval Academy, who got booted his senior year for honor and owed nothing.

Its similar to the VA disability. 30 years ago you had to fight to get 10%. Now they give 30/60% to everyone at retirement.
I won't get into it about the obligation of cadets as it seems a bit trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I will take exception to your statement about VA disabilities. 30 years ago, the most dangerous thing most of us did was dodge traffic during PT. Those folks that are retiring now fought the GWOT with multiple deployments to Iraq/Afghanistan and I would not for a second begrudge them their disability rating from the VA.
0 x
BlackKnight09
Warrior

Post by BlackKnight09 »

hiangle6 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:13 pm
wpgrad wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:56 pm

I won't get into it about the obligation of cadets as it seems a bit trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I will take exception to your statement about VA disabilities. 30 years ago, the most dangerous thing most of us did was dodge traffic during PT. Those folks that are retiring now fought the GWOT with multiple deployments to Iraq/Afghanistan and I would not for a second begrudge them their disability rating from the VA.
Hear hear! (Specifically to not begrudging the newer generation of vets their disability rating. Can’t speak to service 30 years ago and certainly wouldn't take anything away from anyone who served at that time.)
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

dillondobies wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:44 pm We've lost four players to the transfer portal thus far with possibly more to come. We gain none of course. Not an even playing field by all means. I posted weeks ago that Alston would be gone and found his ongoing injury suspicious at the least - but this is simply my conjecture. As good as he is, he contributed very little while here. I am doubtful that Robinson will be back and could not blame him due to his limited opportunities this year.

I may be way off in what I have written here and would appreciate any corrective feedback.
I don't think we've lost any just yet. I forget the timeline, maybe someone with more experience can help, but they have a limited number of days once they hit the portal to make a decision. Enrollment I believe becomes the driving factor. Some of these guys might have to leave for a number of reasons (Academics, Honor, Behavior, general fit) but they have to get enrolled at another school. Otherwise they are likely stuck at Army. My understanding was that Monken cuts them off from the team once they declare for the portal. So no heavy tables, no lifting, no drill authos or any other perk of being on the team. In other words, you go back to the Corps and you'll be participating in company athletics and drill practice and eating regular portions just like a normal cadet. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but I am saying that you are either in or out. We don't waste resources on guys not committed. Or so the last time this came up that's what I had heard.

Here's the thing on the portal. Anyone can declare. So what? You gotta have a partner though and these guys are hoping that another school picks them up. Champ Harris had limited offers coming out of HS. He was a 2 Star QB with offers at Army, Navy, AF, Temple and maybe Louisville. Not bad but not like he was a really highly rated prospect. And all those teams have already moved forward with other players and he'll have to compete with every other QB in the portal and many who have experience as the portal isn't just your year group of recruits. It's everything from Freshmen to Graduate Transfers.

So in the end we will see. I'm sure some of these guys will leave and for reasons we don't have insight to. I bet a few of them are still here in the fall.

BTW, one more reason that bowl games are important for us? Is that guys are less likely to declare for the portal while the season is still going. And it shrinks the window that schools have to look and evaluate transfers and it forces our kids to decide to either stay enrolled at West Point or leave. You aren't sitting around in mid January not going to class and working out waiting for UGA or Ohio State to pick you up. You are either in or out.

PD
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

Not broken up about Alston leaving. I agree he was a fantastic athlete but even in our Gun scheme he isn’t getting the ball much. He honestly never should have come to Army. Should have looked for a better fit right from High School.
0 x
2mint
Warrior

Post by 2mint »

We’ve “lost” at least 6 to the transfer portal including:

Alston - offers from Kansas, Iowa St., Houston and So. Miss
Harris
Crummie
Larry Robinson
Letuli
Roddy

Alston was obviously a huge talent that we unfortunately only got to see glimpses off. Losing 2 & 3 on the QB depth chart will hurt as well as 2 young LBs.

On a separate note, former player Kemari Copeland committed to Va Tech after picking up multiple P5 offers.

While I hate to see the talent leave, I wish them all the best!
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic