Army AD: schedule thru 2035

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
wpgrad
Warrior

Army AD: schedule thru 2035

Post by wpgrad »

Per the as for football podcast: Army had “full schedule” booked thru 2035

Granted things can change but, as stated before, this idea we cant find games so we must join a conference is a bunch of bullshi$
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Re: Army AD: schedule thru 2035

Post by wpgrad »

AD also indicated the goal is 8 AAC. aF and Navy. 1 fcs and 1 p5

But indicated in the short term, due to so many buyouts, might have year with no fcs or 2 low level p5’s or whatever. Specifically said syracuse and BC isnt alabama or michigan
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Also: there will be a night game at michie in 2024. I smell air force
0 x
LoneStarPhan
Warrior

Post by LoneStarPhan »

Army-Lehigh scheduled for Friday, August 30, at 6 pm. A night game at Michie and on TV at CBS Sports network.

https://lehighsports.com/news/2024/1/25 ... st-30.aspx
0 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

wpgrad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:26 pm AD also indicated the goal is 8 AAC. aF and Navy. 1 fcs and 1 p5

But indicated in the short term, due to so many buyouts, might have year with no fcs or 2 low level p5’s or whatever. Specifically said syracuse and BC isnt alabama or michigan
It has to be the goal.

We only have one flexible spot. Because you need an FCS game for the easy win (and let's face it, the PL fans travel), eight AAC games, and AFA/Navy.

The price of joining a conference.
0 x
21-17!
ColdWarYushok87
Warrior

Post by ColdWarYushok87 »

FWIW, Buddie also said that Coach Monken was against the idea of joining a conference and changed his mind due to the changing landscape of college football. He (JM), was also concerned that Army would eventually struggle to fill their schedule.
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

I don't love the AAC but it's winnable.

I don't know that scheduling was a huge issue but building a quality schedule clearly has been tough.

I think the bottom line on all of this is that you need collective bargaining at this point to maximize your leverage. Now is the AAC the best conference to partner with? No. But we are so late to the game and more importantly the two decades of incompetence and losing seasons did nothing to help us drive a bargain.

I would assume that Monken's view has to change because a Conference Championship and the highest ranked G5 team getting a playoff spot allows them to recruit and to engage the team.

There is no perfect solution for anyone at this point. But I do contend that things will only get worse for everyone including the P5 schools or P4 I guess. Without a governing body and parity it's gonna kill the game and the payments to players through NIL is just the beginning. There is a 2nd class action suit by former players going after the revenue schools receive. NIL currently is external to the schools. But if this lawsuit moves forward and wins then it is going to have massive massive massive impacts on college sports. All of college sports.

Honestly, I think that a private equity league will form. Think NFL but with many owners. Players will be unionized for collective bargaining purposes. And ready for this? Schools are going to license their Name Image and Likeness to this corporation. So the biggest brands will have a stake in this model. And the corporation will lease facilities and cut a check back to the schools from the revenue. So essentially the revenue will get split between the equity partners, the schools and the players. There won't be student athletes and players won't have eligibility requirements. There won't be scholarships just Football contracts and agents and TV/Marketing dollars. This will only incorporate the largest brands of schools. But at this point I don't see any other way this thing sustains itself and especially if the players win a landmark case to get a piece of all the tv revenue, ticket sales, merchandise, and other money being brought in. And the reason it will have to separate out will be Title IX because there is no other way around that.

Just my opinion but in 50 years there won't be major college football. Army and others may have college teams but as for Texas and Alabama and UGA, and most SEC, ACC, Big 10 and Big 12 schools they will be in a whole other model.

PD
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

prideandream wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:03 pm I don't love the AAC but it's winnable.

I don't know that scheduling was a huge issue but building a quality schedule clearly has been tough.

I think the bottom line on all of this is that you need collective bargaining at this point to maximize your leverage. Now is the AAC the best conference to partner with? No. But we are so late to the game and more importantly the two decades of incompetence and losing seasons did nothing to help us drive a bargain.

I would assume that Monken's view has to change because a Conference Championship and the highest ranked G5 team getting a playoff spot allows them to recruit and to engage the team.

There is no perfect solution for anyone at this point. But I do contend that things will only get worse for everyone including the P5 schools or P4 I guess. Without a governing body and parity it's gonna kill the game and the payments to players through NIL is just the beginning. There is a 2nd class action suit by former players going after the revenue schools receive. NIL currently is external to the schools. But if this lawsuit moves forward and wins then it is going to have massive massive massive impacts on college sports. All of college sports.

Honestly, I think that a private equity league will form. Think NFL but with many owners. Players will be unionized for collective bargaining purposes. And ready for this? Schools are going to license their Name Image and Likeness to this corporation. So the biggest brands will have a stake in this model. And the corporation will lease facilities and cut a check back to the schools from the revenue. So essentially the revenue will get split between the equity partners, the schools and the players. There won't be student athletes and players won't have eligibility requirements. There won't be scholarships just Football contracts and agents and TV/Marketing dollars. This will only incorporate the largest brands of schools. But at this point I don't see any other way this thing sustains itself and especially if the players win a landmark case to get a piece of all the tv revenue, ticket sales, merchandise, and other money being brought in. And the reason it will have to separate out will be Title IX because there is no other way around that.

Just my opinion but in 50 years there won't be major college football. Army and others may have college teams but as for Texas and Alabama and UGA, and most SEC, ACC, Big 10 and Big 12 schools they will be in a whole other model.

PD
100% agree that we are on the path to a superleague. And Army will not be part of that.

But.....if that happens, the non-superleague teams are going to be EASIER to schedule, not harder.

I know we are in the AAC and I am beating a dead horse, but, again, this idea we had to join so that we can schedule games is pure bullshi*
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

If I heard MB right on the AFF podcast, there were 3 reasons to join a league:

1. Money. He mentioned specifically the size of a check Army got from the playoffs vs. teams in a league got. Money from the conference TV deal will help as well.
2. Scheduling. We were scheduled out quite a ways, but that doesn’t mean it will stick (like Tennessee). Conference alignment is changing significantly and each change can drive scheduling adjustments.
3. Level playing field. The teams in the current AAC all invest a similar amount in Football, so we don’t have a huge structural disadvantage.

He also mentioned that the players were in favor and liked the idea of competing for league championships and the opportunity to be named all league.

For what it’s worth, MB is a pretty good communicator and did a great job on the podcast. Glad to have him as AD.
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

wpgrad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:57 am Per the as for football podcast: Army had “full schedule” booked thru 2035

Granted things can change but, as stated before, this idea we cant find games so we must join a conference is a bunch of bullshi$
I agree 100%. We had a beautiful assortment of games to be played but nary a word what we have to pay some of these teams just to get out of these contracted games. We hired a company to do that, paid them a fee to do that. Some of the teams probably said screw you and said we want our contracted money.
West Point figures over the years the AAC deal will cover these costs and will eventually come out in the black.
In the meantime we get stuck with 8 lousy games per year then tries to spice the schedule with throwing a Notre Dame type of game once a year as we get our ass creamed nine times out of ten. The other time we keep that game close but but still lose in overtime and just enough to keep the little fan base we will have in keeping the fan base moderately interested.
We are getting juiced once again as usual. No Syracuse, no Boston College. We will get a steady dose of Tulsa, North Texas and Charlotte.
Yes and who gives a damn?
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic