AWFUL

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
PrideandDream
Warrior

Re: AWFUL

Post by PrideandDream »

apgarme wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:03 pm Rab - In addtion to loving Army, I have been a Notre Dame fan all my life. I am what is known in ND circles as "subway alumnus." I have 3 things to say reference ND.
I still hate ND. So you and I can't be friends.

It's both the hatred and the love that fuels college football and it's why the product is, at least currently, still so much better than the NFL.

PD
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

ARMORMAN wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:50 am apgarme, stop feeding the gnome, unless you somehow enjoy hearing the same, tired, worn, never-changing BABBLE over and over and over and over...

Fact is, as any unbiased football historian knows, ARMY/NOTRE DAME is legend. This game puts us squarely back in the national spotlight in an era where many wonderful old rivalries are dead or dying, and with a little irish luck, we could pull off a repeat of '95 plus 1 yard...

Opposite all the above BABBLING.... the Army coach, the Army players, and a helluva lot of Army fans are eagerly anticipating this celebration of 100 years since Grantland Rice's "4 Horsemen"...

Bring it on.
It WAS a legend but when you lose to the same team over and over and over and over and over and over and over since 1958 when Army last won over ND, it becomes monotonous , boring and downright foolish to even schedule them. It is like you keep killing a damn dead horse. 64 years man, without a win over those semi-pros.
The administration must have a fetish losing to them.
No, I'm wrong on that. They enjoy being embarrassed by them but LOVE THAT MONEY that comes with a game like this. Army ought to wake the hell up and play a competitive game with somebody else at Michie.
I am totally pissed off with the foolishness of all this.
AND joining a half- ass league for the so-called TV deal they are supposed to get makes no sense either. Aren't you going to just love if Army beats a Tulsa or a Charlotte? Break out the noisemakers. It will be a grand old time when that happens. :roll: :roll: :roll:
We have lost ALL tradition and the great memories from great games we once had with Notre Dame and others. The ND rivalry is dead, long dead and that is a shame for me and other old-timers like me, few tho we are now. Bring back Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Stanford, Wake Forest, Duke and others like them.

We are AMERICAS TEAM and should play teams from all over the country. Now we are stuck playing Wishful Thinkers who never have or never will be much of anything, anytime or anywhere.
By the way Armorman, stop calling me BABBLE. I am RABBLE and proud of my name.u I could get mean too but I am better than you. I don't call anybody a derogatory term. Evideniitally, you do. You are the worst for it. You must take joy in all of this. I know many like you and to me that is sad, real sad.
0 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

When this thread started it was about pants.
2 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

"I say no more on this"...

And then more BABBLING from the BABBLER.

Get a life man.
1 x
armyftball
Warrior

Post by armyftball »

Anything to make a change & get fans to buy a new replica jersey.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

To tell you the truth I have bought so many shirts, jackets, socks, mugs from the program, I could have a lawn sale or donate all the stuff back to the academy.
By the way, I am STILL trying to get SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE, SOMEHOW to take my 2-room collection of memorabilia from as far back as 1890 associated with USMA to take it as a donation. I mean I have tried hard but no takers yet. I feel I am going to die first before I can donate it to the folks up at school. I started all this when I was 7 years old. I am close to 87 now. Man, that 80 years of collecting and it has grown huge over these 8 decades.
What a record. Somebody would love to have it.
When I say 2-room collection, I mean two rooms complete with shelving, organized and dated by year. Nothing is in those two rooms either, except my collection.
Whoever would want it, sure has to be an Army Football fan. My only fear is that when the good Lord takes me, I don't want it to wind up in a trash bin somewhere.
I really need a solid connection.
1 x
rbmarmy
Warrior

Post by rbmarmy »

Why don't you talk to the academy or AD himself. I am sure with all the space they are creating in the new east stands they could create a room for not only your collection, but mine as well. and other donations, Perhaps some of our other chatters could help or make a contact or know a contact I am sitting here developing a lot of abstract ideas but then again that is how we progress
0 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

RABBLE wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:50 pm To tell you the truth I have bought so many shirts, jackets, socks, mugs from the program, I could have a lawn sale or donate all the stuff back to the academy.
By the way, I am STILL trying to get SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE, SOMEHOW to take my 2-room collection of memorabilia from as far back as 1890 associated with USMA to take it as a donation. I mean I have tried hard but no takers yet. I feel I am going to die first before I can donate it to the folks up at school. I started all this when I was 7 years old. I am close to 87 now. Man, that 80 years of collecting and it has grown huge over these 8 decades.
What a record. Somebody would love to have it.
When I say 2-room collection, I mean two rooms complete with shelving, organized and dated by year. Nothing is in those two rooms either, except my collection.
Whoever would want it, sure has to be an Army Football fan. My only fear is that when the good Lord takes me, I don't want it to wind up in a trash bin somewhere.
I really need a solid connection.
RABBLE,

If you can't get the academy to take it, I will be glad to own it. I don't want to see all that history thrown away.

PM me.

The sports information department should interview you. You are a wealth of history and insight. I applied several times for a spot in the Army SID department but never received an interview.
0 x
21-17!
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

rbmarmy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:32 am Why don't you talk to the academy or AD himself. I am sure with all the space they are creating in the new east stands they could create a room for not only your collection, but mine as well. and other donations, Perhaps some of our other chatters could help or make a contact or know a contact I am sitting here developing a lot of abstract ideas but then again that is how we progress
I have contacted the AD, Army communications, the Library and the Radio communication dept. and Rich DeMarco who is a friend my one of my doctors.
I got one reply from the library who was interested to some degree and said he would get back to me in 2 weeks. I included pictures of every department of my collection, my address, phone number and directions to my home.
I know I have records that the academy does not have from way back but no one to date is that interested I assume. At best they would probably want to "cherry pick" the collection but as a whole it would be more attractive to them if they took the whole work.
To tell all of you the truth, I believe I have just about everything WP has printed concerning the program. I do not want to boast, but really it is a fact that I really do. 80 years of collecting. That is a lot of work and love doing it. Hell, I'm 87 and started when I was a kid of 7.
It would require digitalizing it all for space considerations of course but that it is way. way, above my pay scale.
Geez, I'm 87 and no way could I do this do to my lack of computer skill which I have next to nothing.

Another example which I have just completed is for my high school which I graduated back in 1956 and this past year of 2023, celebrated their 100- year since of their founding ( St. Rose High School, Belmar, NJ.).
I researched thru NEWSPAPERS.COM every single game of basketball my school ever played in its history (1925- present) and football 1925-1941) when football was discontinued, copied them to 8 by 11 sheets of paper, covered each sheet with preservative plastic coverings and placed all this material in 24 3-inch binders which were colored in Purple and Gold, the school colors.
I called up the AD, surprised him, took them down to school and he and others went NUTS to see all that I did. It took me two years to complete it is an archival work that I hope future students will enjoy, treasure and use it as a reference tool for athletic research. It was a small token to the school I love and especially the 100 years since the school. began.

I have done the same thing for Army Football and of course, a lot more. 80 years working on it year by year.
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

My collection includes-
-1,200 programs or more.
-Every news article on every game played since they began in 1890 taken from at least 12 Sunday newspapers from New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and all the AWAY games from that city's hometown news source placed in 150 3-inch black binders suitable for library shelving and all chronology prepared.
-All Media Guides since the 1950's. Army Sportsletters published weekly thru the academic year, pre- internet up to 1999 when Army went fully into digital and discontinued the paper editions.
-Staple boxes with carry handles containing Army hats, pins and various souvenirs of all sorts from games collected back 75 years.
-Autographs of Glenn, Doc and Pete and a host of others including Homer Smith coach of long ago and other notable Army players.
-Old pamphlets connected to the program and the academy going far, far back.
-Reel to reel VHS tapes of Army radio and VHS going back to 1953. Non-digital of course.
-WP coins of WP, one of which was given to me by a former Supe.
- A perfectly preserved 1930 Howitzer Yearbook containing a picture of Chris Cagle who never did graduate because he was secretly married and found out shortly before commencement.
- Ticket applications saved showing how the prices increased over the years.
- A multitude of ticket stubs chronology placed under preservative plastic sheets in binders from evey game I ever saw at Michie and all over the country. I would say about close to 200. Other non- Army game stubs like the 1954 ND-Penn game played at Franklen Field in Philly and Ohio State games in Columbus over the years.
- A host of many players pictures over many decades.
-And as they say in ads, "A whole lot more". ;) ;) ;)
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic