Good lord

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmorDude
Warrior

Re: Good lord

Post by ArmorDude »

wpgrad wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:54 pm
prideandream wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:02 pm
wpgrad wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:46 pm Commander in chief. First win over ranked team since 1972. Top 5 ending of army navy in history. Blew out 8-0 Air Force. Won our last 4 games after starting 2-6. Team filled with kids who never quit after a few bad losses. As posted a month ago, probably the 7th best season we’ve had in 3 decades……

And you wanna bitch about this?
6-6 and beating a bad navy team and a gift from AFA is not my bar for success.

ULM and UMASS are both awful teams we lost to. Awful teams.

BC and Troy both beatable.

Multiple games with zero points and halve and halves without a touchdown offensively.

40+ bowl games equals over 80 teams in bowls.

Congrats on your trophy but in the big scheme of things this team and season is not even mediocre.

I expect to win more than we lose. I expect to beat Navy and Air Force. I expect to play in a bowl. We failed 2 out of 3.

But let’s get to the root of the issue

Monken changes offenses to be more competitive and we are not. In fact we are worse.

We scored 246 points this year
2022 we scored 343 points
2021 we scored 427 points
Even when we went 2-10 in 2015 offense put up more points.

The numbers don’t lie. And that includes 50+ points on Delaware state. That’s how bad this thing is. You didnt like the old offense there’s no way you like this shit show. And it got no better all year long minus the coastal game.

This offense made little difference vs navy. 1 touchdown. ONE. AND THEY ARE NOT A GOOD TEAM.

PD
I swear some of you all just forget what the 1990's through 2015 was like. From 1990 to 2000, we were 1-9 versus AF. From 2000-2010, we were 1-9 versus AF. We lost 14 in a row to Navy.

We've won 5 of last 7 versus AF which has happened NONE times, we've won 6 of 8 versus Navy which is as good a run as we have had EVER.

Since 2017, we have won 4 CiC's. That is the same amount we won from 1978 to 2016.

and all of you on here are like oh we aren't good. we aren't beating good teams.

In the last 5 years Air Force is 42-14!!!!! And we have beat them 3 of the 5 years.

What is god's name are you guys watching?

I don't know what you guys are watching and you darn sure have forgotten what it was like in the 1990's and 2000' and early 2010's...
No, we haven't forgotten what it was like - it sucked. The point is that just winning a trophy -- while a good result-- does not mean that this is a good team. Our offense is horrible; we had some timely turnovers and the DEFENSE got us a score.

I hope the coaches realize this and end this "experiment." Go back to what worked and maybe teach the WRs to hold blocks instead of cut block.
1 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

ArmorDude wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:46 pm
wpgrad wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:54 pm
prideandream wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:02 pm

6-6 and beating a bad navy team and a gift from AFA is not my bar for success.

ULM and UMASS are both awful teams we lost to. Awful teams.

BC and Troy both beatable.

Multiple games with zero points and halve and halves without a touchdown offensively.

40+ bowl games equals over 80 teams in bowls.

Congrats on your trophy but in the big scheme of things this team and season is not even mediocre.

I expect to win more than we lose. I expect to beat Navy and Air Force. I expect to play in a bowl. We failed 2 out of 3.

But let’s get to the root of the issue

Monken changes offenses to be more competitive and we are not. In fact we are worse.

We scored 246 points this year
2022 we scored 343 points
2021 we scored 427 points
Even when we went 2-10 in 2015 offense put up more points.

The numbers don’t lie. And that includes 50+ points on Delaware state. That’s how bad this thing is. You didnt like the old offense there’s no way you like this shit show. And it got no better all year long minus the coastal game.

This offense made little difference vs navy. 1 touchdown. ONE. AND THEY ARE NOT A GOOD TEAM.

PD
I swear some of you all just forget what the 1990's through 2015 was like. From 1990 to 2000, we were 1-9 versus AF. From 2000-2010, we were 1-9 versus AF. We lost 14 in a row to Navy.

We've won 5 of last 7 versus AF which has happened NONE times, we've won 6 of 8 versus Navy which is as good a run as we have had EVER.

Since 2017, we have won 4 CiC's. That is the same amount we won from 1978 to 2016.

and all of you on here are like oh we aren't good. we aren't beating good teams.

In the last 5 years Air Force is 42-14!!!!! And we have beat them 3 of the 5 years.

What is god's name are you guys watching?

I don't know what you guys are watching and you darn sure have forgotten what it was like in the 1990's and 2000' and early 2010's...
No, we haven't forgotten what it was like - it sucked. The point is that just winning a trophy -- while a good result-- does not mean that this is a good team. Our offense is horrible; we had some timely turnovers and the DEFENSE got us a score.

I hope the coaches realize this and end this "experiment." Go back to what worked and maybe teach the WRs to hold blocks instead of cut block.
Our offense needs work. Our TEAM is winning at levels un precedented in army history in my 30 years of being a fan

As I said in my last post. Last 5 years Air Force is 40-11 versus everyone else. 40-11!!! And they are 2-3 versus us

We all need to step off the ledge and realize in the last 40 years, most years, we beg for this year’s success
1 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

No one is really debating our recent success against Navy and AF. To JM’s credit he has done great against those guys. The salient issue is our new offense which has produced points at historic low levels and how that offense is going to change or grow next year. The guns production at the end of the year was as poor as in the beginning. That is a major problem in my mind. If you think the gun will allow us to get to a 8-4 pr a 9-3 season great, but I don’t think it ever will. 6-6 will be our new idea of a successful season with the Gun. Oh and remember we were 5-6 with the Gun as we won CC under center.
1 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

we just won the CIC and the first thing you do is hop on here and start a post complaining? sheesh

we def had some bad mistakes this season that cost us 2-3 games. fair

but going 6-6 and beating navy and airforce and winning the CIC is something to be celebrated, and is our primary goal every season.

It really speaks to the tenacity and leadership on this team to turn the season around after losing five in a row.

I feel much better about this season than I did when we won 9 games in 2021 and lost to the worst navy team I've seen in 20 years.
2 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

LOL. The biggest difference between this season and several over the past few years is untimely turnovers by Army...which impacts everything on offense: run totals, point totals, etc,

Unfortunately, the coaches may not take your, and others, advice immediately and "end this "experiment."" May warrant some prep in handling that emotionally so that you can at least enjoy when the team wins even if it isn't how envisioned.
0 x
BG
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

kfan12 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:22 am

LOL. The biggest difference between this season and several over the past few years is untimely turnovers by Army...which impacts everything on offense: run totals, point totals, etc,

Unfortunately, the coaches may not take your, and others, advice immediately and "end this "experiment."" May warrant some prep in handling that emotionally so that you can at least enjoy when the team wins even if it isn't how envisioned.
This is exactly right. The only game we lost while winning or being even in the turnover battle was BC where we were even. And a 5-yard punt after an illegal forward pass penalty really was the difference in that game. The only game where we lost the turnover battle and won was Coastal. Much of that can be attributed to surprising them with something we rarely did this year. Turnovers are the difference. Some of that may be due to a new offensive system but even if so we’ve cleared those up with the additional reps during the season.
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

kfan12 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:22 am

I agree that turnovers are a huge deal -- a competent offense would have put up 45 on AF.

Appreciate your concern for my mental well-being, but I think I'll be fine regardless of what offense they run.
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

It was interesting to listen to JM’s post-game comments. He clearly sees and understand the plusses and minuses of the new offense and how it performed this year. He sees the issues with eyes wide open. As long as the problem is clear, you have a shot at a good solution. Not everyone might like that answer, but I think he clearly understands the problem.
0 x
hammerdown
Warrior

Post by hammerdown »

Do you really think JM is not aware of the O's struggles.
His career success has been based on option football (under center),
but had enough conviction that he felt the O needed to change for
Army to be successful. Obviously the offense struggled most of
year, but now, just as obvious, JM is going to get to work on the O.
Expect some coaching changes and a reboot of the Offense,
wether its gun, option or some mixture.

Going into the AF game as 18 point underdog, to winning
the next 4 and the CIC. Great finish.
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

I do think JM understands the issues and I have faith in him to “modify” what we saw this year in the gun.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic