Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Army Football predictions

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:10 am

Another Army football prediction. This one from the Orlando Sentinel ranks Army 26th

"Strengths: Once again, Army finished among the national leaders in rushing offense after averaging more than 312 yards on the ground last season. It was the third straight year in which a Cadets team finished ranked either No. 1 or No. 2 in total rushing offense in the country.
Kelvin Hopkins Jr. made a seamless transition in the starting quarterback role, stepping in for the departed Ahmad Bradshaw. Hopkins led the team in rushing yards (1,017) and rushing touchdowns (17) and the junior became the first Army quarterback to pass for more than 1,000 yards in a season since Carson Williams in 2007.
The backfield will undergo a new look with the departures of fullbacks Darnell Woolfolk and Andy Davidson. Woolfolk was second on the team in rushing each of the past two seasons but led last year’s squad with 221 carries. He finished with a career-high 37 rushing touchdowns. Tailback Kell Walker (320 yards) and fullback Connor Slomka are expected to slide in and pick up the slack in the ground attack.
Weaknesses: Army finished with a top-10 defense last season after allowing less than 18 points and 300 yards of total offense per game. The Black Knights allowed just over 100 yards per game on the ground, with the unit allowing less than four yards per carry. But losing the majority of the front seven makes things difficult for the unit in 2019. Linebacker Cole Christiansen is the top returning defender after leading the team in tackles for loss (11) while finishing second on the team in tackles (77). Fourteen of the team’s 26 sacks last season came from then-seniors James Nachtigal (8.5) and Kenneth Brinson (5.5).
Outlook: The roster is experienced with 12 senior starters listed on the depth chart with more than a handful of upperclassmen listed as backups. That should help as the team adjusts to several new faces, especially on defense.
With a schedule that is one of the easiest in the Football Bowl Subdivision, another double-digit win season and another bowl game are easily in reach."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ ... story.html
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Army Team

Post by ArmyBN82 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:36 pm

Head Caoch Monken and LB Cole Cristiansen on the video state they think the new freshmen are strong, smart and physical..Expect a number (38 are on the team now) to make an impact.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hudso ... erclassmen
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Jay Bateman

Post by ArmyBN82 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Interesting review of former DC Caoch Jay Bateman at UNC. While he was the architect and hard to replace I do think DC Coach Loose has stepped up and in short order has shown himself well at the Houston Bowl game. Think the Defense will be fine if not a bit more aggressive this year. Wish Bateman the best back in his home state..

"Can Bateman replicate his success at Army in Chapel Hill? Mack Brown, who has returned from a coaching hiatus to lead the North Carolina Tar Heels again, seems to think so.

“I really like what Jay Bateman has brought to us,” Brown said last month at the ACC Kickoff in Charlotte. “He’s got a defense that’s deceptive enough that it’s going to create havoc for some offensive lines that aren’t prepared for it, so it’s going to be fun to watch him. I like what he’s done emotionally with the team. They like him, they’ve bought into him.”

The 67-year-old Brown is back in Chapel Hill after working in television with ESPN for five years. He previously coached the Tar Heels from 1988 through 1997. During that era, UNC posted seven winning seasons, won four bowl games and were ranked as high as fourth in the AP Poll. In the years since Brown left for Texas after the 1997 season, the Tar Heels have just three bowl wins. They hit a rock bottom of sorts last season, winning just two games under Larry Fedora.

Under Brown, Bateman will be the co-defensive coordinator – working alongside former All-ACC linebacker Tommy Thigpen – and coach the safeties.

While Brown missed coaching while he was at ESPN, it did give him the opportunity to tour the country, to see a lot of teams and to meet a lot of up-and-coming coaches. Brown first ran into Bateman during a trip to West Point, where he spoke to the team. Then, in 2017, he was tasked with providing color commentary during Army’s Armed Forces Bowl game vs. San Diego State. The Black Knights won 42-35 and forced two turnovers in the win.

“I went up to Army and I spent three days there. I spoke to the team, I watched them practice and then I spoke to their staff, and I could tell then that Jay was special,” Brown told Against All Enemies. “Then I watched them against Oklahoma and they hold them to 28 points with not having a player on the Army team that could play for Oklahoma.

“I called one of their games (the 2017 Armed Forces Bowl vs. San Diego State) and got to watch them practice a couple more days and spend some time with Jay. And then when you add in the fact that he’s recruited for 15 years in this state and that he’s from Virginia, he was just a perfect fit for us. It was a no-brainer.”

Indeed. Bateman’s 2018 Army defense carried nine players on it from the Tar Heel State. He also has familiarity with the state from being the defensive coordinator and linebackers’ coach at Elon from 2006 to 2010. Bateman’s Elon teams made the FCS playoffs once and he had at least one all-conference linebacker each season he was there.

When Bateman first got to Army in 2014, he inherited a defense that ranked 92nd in points allowed per-game. At the end of that first season, Army actually took a small step back on defense, ranking 104th in that stat. But the Black Knights slowly began to improve, ranking 75th in scoring defense in 2015, then jumping up to 16th in 2016.

At North Carolina, Bateman gets a unit that ranked 107th in scoring defense last season.

“I think we’ll be a better overall defense,” UNC senior defensive back Myles Dorn. “We’re paying attention to details. We’re playing in a system to where we can just go out and play. Jay Bateman has put together a great program for us. We’re learning it, communicating, getting everything ironed out.”

Like they did with Army, things could get worse before they get better for UNC’s defense under Bateman. And unlike at West Point, Bateman won’t have the luxury of facing a few FCS opponents to iron problems out. UNC opens the season with South Carolina, then hosts Miami, travels to Wake Forest and then hosts Sun Belt powerhouse Appalachian State.

Still, UNC is confident in the direction the defense is going in under Bateman. Brown and Dorn are among those who have bought in.

“He’s smart. (Bateman) put together a scheme and a system that fits us,” Dorn said. “It’s tailor-made for our players. We have people that can play multiple positions on this defense, and he’s going to put us in position to make plays. He’s not going to put us in a position where we feel like we can’t do what he’s asking of us.”"

"https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/ ... 9-football
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Teams Enthusiasm

Post by ArmyBN82 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Practice was stopped to ensure the proper attitude and enthusiasm was being shown. Better it is addressed early in practice rather than in mistakes like the Duke game last year.

“At 4:33 p.m., an hour and 43 minutes into practice, Monken had seen enough. After watching some players walk back to the sidelines after a drill — a big no-no — he sent the entire roster to the locker room. He then corralled his coaching staff and, sparing no one, delivered his broadside to them as well.

"If I could chew my own (butt)," Monken said, "I'd be chewing my own (butt) right now because I deserve it."

Monken paced toward the locker room, then broke into a jog as soon as he headed down the ramp. Six minutes later, the players exploded onto the field as if Monken had shot each one of them out of the same cannon...

Most importantly, as has been Monken's drumbeat the entire preseason, the squad was competing. The backups were cheering for the starters and the starters were rallying behind the backups. In the first day of full-contact, the Army football team was verging on full tilt.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.record ... ate=ampart
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Service Academy Teams and Coaching

Post by ArmyBN82 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Predictions game by game for Army football - agree that Air Force and Navy will be tough as both will be gunning for us - also agree that against Michigan Caoch Monken "has not desire for moral victories"

"Talks of a 13-0 season, #HopforHeisman and other lofty aspirations for the season have made the rounds on social media. I’m sure those types of goals, along with keeping the CIC and making another consecutive bowl appearance, are among Army’s team goals for 2019. Regardless, they will achieve those goals only by applying Coach Monken’s mindset of taking the season one game at a time."

https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/ ... eff-monken
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Talent, poise tested in 3-hour Army scrimmage

"Following a day when Monken analyzed that the number one defense outperformed the number one offense, Parker said on whether or not he took Reeder’s advice: “Absolutely. It was a great day.”...

"The theme from the practice fields played out in Michie Stadium on Saturday, especially in the early going. A deep and talented defense toppled the offensive line, read the triple option like a valedictorian reads a syllabus at the beginning of the school year and knocked down passes like they were trying to remind Army of its true identity."

"The freshman quarterbacks were each given a shot at leading at least one drive. Bellan — a high school wide receiver who concedes “I’ll play anything for this team” — converted an 8-yard run for the scrimmage’s first touchdown. He leaped into the arms of lineman Cody Winokur and shouted, “Good job!” as if he were a seasoned veteran. Jemel Jones, the lone rookie quarterback who matriculated through the prep program at West Point, stuck a dart into the twisting body of wide receiver Sean Eckert and then weaved his way to a 22-yard touchdown run. Steven Migut sprinted for a 20-yarder of his own, making it official that Saturday belonged to the unheralded yet gifted rookie quarterbacks."...

Jabari Laws and Christian Anderson both have a little more experience at the position and likely a better chance to serve second string behind Kelvin Hopkins this fall. In their limited action in the scrimmage, each managed to slip through holes in the defense, separating themselves from white jerseys but perhaps not from one another in the contentious backup quarterback battle."

https://www.recordonline.com/collegevar ... -scrimmage
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Army Team Predictions/Preview

Post by ArmyBN82 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:27 am

A good pay subscription for Army football article analysis.

"This is the biggest question
mark of the Black Knight
offense. Can the fullbacks
produce enough to keep the
team on schedule?

If this group can do that,
this offense will be close to
unstoppable. Jeff Monken
probably isn’t expecting
Woolfolk/Davidson levels of production from these guys so
look for the slotbacks to get the
ball more.
The slotbacks will be led by
senior Kell Walker, who last
season ran for 320 yards on 67
carries.
That number should make a
big jump due to a lack ofexperience at fullback behind
Slomka.
Alongside Walker, the Black
Knights will start junior Artice
Hobbs IV who had 97 yards
and one touchdown on 12
carries. Sandon McCoy and
Malik Hancock will likely see a
lot of playing time as well.
Wide receiver might be
Army’s deepest position. Walker
was the teams leading receiver
with 11 catches for 170 yards
and one touchdown, and
slotbacks will play a big role in
the passing game as always.
Wideouts Kjetil Cline, Cam
Harrison, Glen Coates, and
Christian Hayes are all more
than capable pass catchers,
though, and Ke-Shaun Wells
and Zach Saum who can make
a play when needed."

0 x

stash76
New Recruit

Post by stash76 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 pm

This is an article about coaches getting plucked for bigger jobs. No way would JM go to the schools listed. (Rutgers or Illinois)
https://sports.yahoo.com/which-college- ... 36606.html
2 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Army Team Depth and lineup is getting defined

Post by ArmyBN82 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:59 am

A number of starters and backups are finally being called out now.

“I really like the camp that Jabari Laws is having,” Monken said, before adding, “Really excited to see how he’s progressed and he’s kind of moved himself into the No. 2 slot right now.”

“Arik Smith is a great example,” Monken said. “Freshman, special teams last year. Didn’t play a whole lot of linebacker, but he’s really kind of anchored himself in there as a starter as one of the guys along with Cole Christiansen.”

...."Monken offered less certainty with other positions. Outside linebacker, for example, remains up for grabs"...

https://www.recordonline.com/collegevar ... into-focus
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Navy installing run-and-shoot passing

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:09 am

Interesting article on Navy installing run-and-shoot passing into their offense.
“We’ve got to improve in the passing game. We’re not going to lose our identity, but we also can’t have 11 defenders up on the line of scrimmage,” Niumatalolo said. “Safeties don’t even worry about the pass. Everybody is playing the run. We have to make people pay for doing that.”
Niumatalolo performed an assessment of the top passing offenses in college football and settled on the run-and-shoot as the best fit for Navy. “I looked at what different programs were doing and just felt this was something that could match what we do,” he said.
Naturally, Niumatalolo needed someone with some level of expertise to help install the unique passing system at Navy. That is why Stutzmann, who played and coached at Hawaii, was brought aboard.”...

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic