Army Beating Navy and Air Force in Recruitment War

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: ArmyQB and FB Spring Game analysis

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Fortunate to see a quick game analysis from As For Football from Danno Cabezas who attended the Spring Game. As he states- always tough to analyze these Spring games but here is a good analysis. Remember QB Christian Anderson did not play, others were limited and Kelvin Hopkins was in a red jersey. Nonetheless the impression from several who watched the spring game is that our QB and Fullback rotations are stronger than many had thought going into spring practice - and it appears many Army players on both sides of the ball are hungry to have a chance to make their impressions. Leaves me feeling pretty good - though I would like to hear more about the defensive line.....

"rising firstie FB Rashaad Bolton had probably the best game of any player on the field. He started for the Black Team and looked absolutely terrific out there. Like a slightly faster, more powerful version of Calen Holt. I didn’t see him break off any long runs off the Fullback Dive, but he caught the ball well out of the backfield, ran a guy over on a 33-yard screen pass, and tied the game with the key catch at the end of regulation. Nothing’s set in stone, of course, but I think Bolton played himself into the rotation this spring. I expect we’ll see him quite a bit in the coming season.

FB Connor Slomka started with Hopkins and Walker, but his night was pretty much done by the time we got to the stadium. Mostly the Gold team ran with QB Jabari Laws and FB Cade Barnard. Barnard didn’t have any of the gaudy, attention-grabbing plays that we saw from Bolton, but he moved the ball consistently with the Dive, and it looked like he got stronger the more they fed him the ball. He’d start with 2- or 3-yard runs, but as his drives wore on, he’d hi 3- or 4-yard runs, so that by the time his team got down into the Red Zone, he was breaking off 7- to 9-yard runs, moving the pile, and setting up or scoring touchdowns.
Bottom line, Army’s fullback rotation looks to be in good shape.

I talked quite a bit about Tyler on Twitter Friday night. He played exceptionally well, scrambling for one touchdown and throwing for two more, and his Black team won this game in overtime as a result. That’s not nothing in a game like this. All these Army players know that there’s no substitute for victory.
Tyler looks like a really good player. He has truly exceptional speed and elusiveness coupled to a strong, accurate arm. Think: Malcolm Perry but with the ability to complete passes downfield. Tyler’s not a big guy–Army’s website has him officially listed at 5’8”, 153 lbs.–and I’ve worried before about how he’d stand up to the pounding of a full Division 1 football season. However, there’s no denying that he has the complete Division 1 quarterback’s skillset. I have to say, too, that I feel a little disingenuous knocking the guy for his size. We could make that particular critique about three-quarters of the Army Football Team and quite a few players (and former players) on any number of other Corps Squad rosters (including me personally).

Coming into Spring Football, I thought that Tyler would need to show out in order to see the field this fall. He might’ve done that. Watching him Friday, he’s just too good an athlete to keep on the sidelines. I think the coaching staff has to find a way to get him involved. His speed and escapability are potentially game-breaking.
With that said, though, a legitimate knock on Tyler is one that we see at times with Perry as well. Both guys have a tendency to try to do everything a little too often. Admittedly, it’s a tough balance. When Tyler escapes the initial pass rush, breaks contain, and goes for a long run, he’s a hero. When he escapes the initial pass rush, gets bottled up, and then takes a sack, he’s a goat. He took at least one sack on Friday where he should have just thrown the ball away."

https://www.asforfootball.com/2019/04/1 ... ring-game/
0 x

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Re: Army Beating Navy and Air Force in Recruitment War

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:29 am

Dan had a couple videos on twitter as well. Definitely worth watching.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Navy again says- noworry reloading not rebuilding

Post by ArmyBN82 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 am

Navy states that while they will have major replacements (4 starters being replaced) along the offensive line (Army went through the same last year) it is not a rebuilding year. The difference I see is that Navy has changed the schemes of blocking this year and asks for players to have a change in "mentality". Not to mention that the offense Coaching is new and is retooling around Malcolm Perry and a more spread offense. I am sure that Navy offensive line will learn and adapt to the new offensive schemes and styles - but it will take time. While not overlooking Navy I still think this year it is likely to be a two Academy fight for the CIC trophy. Thoughts?

“Navy employed more zone blocking schemes the past couple seasons and was cut-blocking less than past years... Ingram has carefully studied film of some of Navy’s best offensive tackles during the current triple-option era such as Jeff Battipaglia, Joey Gaston and Blake Copeland. Ingram has determined the Midshipmen must get back to having tackles who can reach the secosecond level to block linebackers and safeties.”
“Our mentality needs to be different. We have to come off the ball so hard on every play. “

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Army Reloading on Full Backs

Post by ArmyBN82 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 am

Interesting article titled: Army football’s backfield looks to reload.

Despite the departures of Darnell Woolfolk, Andy Davidson, Calen Holt Army's backfield looks promising with Connor Slomka who has 74 carries last year, Sandon McCoy and now Rashaad Bolton who made a big impression during Spring scrimmage games then there is FB Cade Barnard and Clay Czyzynski. Plus remember Kell Walker and Hobbs our two speedy slot backs. Add to this the new backs at the Prep school and the significant addition of direct admit of highly touted recruit Anthony Adkins 6’3” 225lbs we have a good stock of backs to work with and several already with game experience.

I liked the attitude in what McCoy said "McCoy doesn’t like to reflect on what the team lacks this year. He believes Army is capable of winning every game on the schedule with proper preparation, and he isn’t one to compare himself or the team to anyone else." It also helps that they have great development and Coaching.

https://www.recordonline.com/collegevar ... -to-reload
0 x

3seconddelay
New Recruit

Post by 3seconddelay » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Don’t discount Cade Barnard and Malik “Herbie” Hancock. I think both will contribute. Hancock can blaze.
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Air Force loses a back up QB

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:13 am

Following our loss of our QB Cam Thomas - it was announced that Air Force will now also lose one of their two back up QBs.

Air Force sophomore QB Beau English is leaving for Richmond. "The 6-foot, 200-pound English put together a strong spring for Air Force and was expected to challenge rising senior Isaiah Sanders for the No. 2 position behind starting quarterback Donald Hammond III. Hammond and English are in the same class...The loss of English will hurt Air Force’s depth at the quarterback, a spot where it has started three players in each of the past two seasons."

https://gazette.com/sports/quarterback- ... 42f6e.html
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Army Takes one from Michigan

Post by ArmyBN82 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Sal Interdonato reports that Michigan LB Samih Beydoun who was courted by Notre Dame, Michigan and other Power 5 schools switches from Wolverines to Army. Notre Dame and Michigan fans wrote of the excitement of his pass rush abilities. Michigan fans expected Beydoun (as did he) to get a full ride from Michigan in the fall. I can assure you that Beydoun will be in Ann Arbor to watch Army play Michigan. I like his early commitment. Should bode well for other recruitment too.

“A visit to West Point Friday swayed Catholic Central (Detroit) linebacker Samih Beydoun’s college decision.
Beydoun, who was committed to Michigan as a preferred walk-on, announced his pledge to Army Friday night.
“It’s a tremendous opportunity that I’ve always considered,” said Beydoun Friday night. “Going to West Point is definitely bigger than football and I fell in love with the staff today. I don’t think there is better fit out there for me. It is the highest of honors.”
Army is recruiting the 6-foot, 220-pound Beydoun to play rush linebacker. Beydoun said he could have waited until the winter to be on scholarship at Michigan.”

http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

ESPN sees Covington as an under the radar star

Post by ArmyBN82 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:37 am

ESPN has called out Defensive Lineman Jacob Covington as one of those under-the-radar stars in 2019.
Not as much light has been shined on the Defensive Line that is being restocked under the direction of newly hired Coach Kevin Lewis (replacing Coach Chad Wilt who moved on to Cincinnati) seems to bring experience, energy and intensity to the line and also already out recruiting in the greater VA, DC, MD area. Any one have any update news on the Defensive Line from the Spring scrimmage?

"Army’s defense was silently a star of the 2018 season. Just ask Oklahoma, which needed overtime at home to escape the Black Knights. Army has a new defensive coordinator in 2019 but plenty of talent returning.

ESPN says, “An expected starter this season, Covington was Army's top reserve lineman last year, and he is capable of playing any position along the line.”"

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 31391104_1
0 x

WrekDivr
New Recruit

Post by WrekDivr » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:55 am

I gotta say that I am enjoying Army being in the top 25 so we get included in articles like this. I can hardly wait for the season to start!
1 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Navy football building fullback depth

Post by ArmyBN82 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:10 pm

While Navy has problems with depth at QB to back up Malcolm Perry) as the next QB up on the depth chart is Dalen Morris but the Coaches said - “Decision-making is still a problem for Dalen. He’s doing a better job of getting rid of the football and not taking any sacks,” Jasper said. “At quarterback, 90 percent of the job is decision-making and Dalen needs to improve at that.”

At Full Back there appears to be more depth but little game experience for back ups as only FB Nelson Smith is the only current fullback has played in games last year. "The 5-foot-9, 212-pound rising junior made seven starts last season and finished as the team’s third-leading rusher with 411 yards."

"Navy issued an updated depth chart late last week and Harris was listed as the backup behind Smith while Ruoss was third. Head coach Ken Niumatalolo said there isn’t much difference between No. 2 and 4 at this point and the competition will continue during August training camp."

Meanwhile Army released its depth chart and shows FB Slomka and McCoy as the top two in the depth chart. Meanwhile I am hearing from Air Force friends that Air Force may now also lose one of their top Full Backs.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic