Michigan favored over Army

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: Michigan favored over Army

Post by RABBLE » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm

I know its always a team sport and the individual is only a cog in the machine. but I think Hopkins is more than a cog in this year's Army machine. Sadly, if Kelvin gets knocked on his kiester, who the hell can step into the role at the most important position on the Army team? No one else has taken a snap. A year ago we had a capable QB to step in. Whoever winds up in the number 2 spot, he better lace his shoes up a bit tighter because we need somebody who will take up the slack.
Of course whoever the young lad may be, we sure have no idea who that may be because of the lack of any info coming out of these spring practices.
"Next man up" is the usual refrain that is heard but to me that refrain, at the moment, sounds a bit flat with all the talk about a great season to come.
Maybe I think too much. :cry:
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:04 am

Not sure who you're referring to Rab. Cam Thomas ended up being the #2 and was pretty good, but he had no snaps prior to 2018 that I know of. If you're referring to Luke Langdon, he had hardly played at all prior to 2018 and barely played last year. I have confidence the staff will find a solid #2; just need to get him some quality reps early in the year.
2 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Post by ArmyBN82 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:44 pm

RABBLE wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm
I know its always a team sport and the individual is only a cog in the machine. but I think Hopkins is more than a cog in this year's Army machine. Sadly, if Kelvin gets knocked on his kiester, who the hell can step into the role at the most important position on the Army team? No one else has taken a snap. A year ago we had a capable QB to step in. Whoever winds up in the number 2 spot, he better lace his shoes up a bit tighter because we need somebody who will take up the slack.
Of course whoever the young lad may be, we sure have no idea who that may be because of the lack of any info coming out of these spring practices.
"Next man up" is the usual refrain that is heard but to me that refrain, at the moment, sounds a bit flat with all the talk about a great season to come.
Maybe I think too much. :cry:
Agree that it would be nice to get more news on the team preparations for spring. Once the prep stars and and the new cadets join them there will also be some changes. That said I also have faith that Coach Monken will have the back up QBs ready to go by season start. We have heard and seen that Army plans to spread the ball more with the fast slotbacks and this is in part to reduce the wear and tear on Kelvin Hopkins.

Last week Coach Monken stated after the practice on the QB's “I don’t know that any of those guys are ready,”
"Anderson, the only quarterback who stands above 6 feet, was tabbed as the second-stringer during the scrimmage, wearing a red non-contact practice jersey along with Hopkins."
“At Saturday’s scrimmage, Christian Anderson, Jabari Laws, Mike Mbony and Tyhier Tyler all received reps at quarterback. Each offers a different wrinkle to the triple-option, but all four potential backups have one thing in common." ““The worry is that they’re not quite there yet,” Monken said. “

Christian Anderson 6'1" and 165 lbs continues to look to me like the leader of the pack for the backup position to date. Will see how he handles the reps and if they can put more muscle on him as I think he is a bit light for the toll of that position.

https://www.recordonline.com/collegevar ... kup-driver
0 x

WrekDivr
New Recruit

Post by WrekDivr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:18 am

The good news is that there were 4 guys listed that are competing for the backup role. Coach had enough confidence that one of them would emerge that he converted another to fullback.
1 x

ArmyRedLeg
New Recruit

Post by ArmyRedLeg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 am

From a significance standpoint- I think Rabble has this right- the Michigan game is up there with the Duke game in '53. As a modern-day Army fan, suffering through 18 years of pain, there was one thing that made me happy- and that was Army being the tipping point in opposing coaches being fired. Just like the Houston game- these schools' support base can't stand the idea of losing to Army- the stigma is very real- even with three years of success (we've all read opposing teams' message boards or live streamed a game from the opposing team's announcers). That said, in beating Michigan, not only would Army arrive to the national stage- Harbaugh would be fired- adding another notch in Army's destruction of coaching tenures.
2 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Post by ArmyBN82 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm

ArmyRedLeg wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 am
From a significance standpoint- I think Rabble has this right- the Michigan game is up there with the Duke game in '53.
Agreed- Despite Army being 29 point under dogs more and more attention being given to this game and the chance for an upset. Now we have the CFB yesterday listing ARMY on the upset watch. -College Football Rankings‏ @CFBRanking

"Non-Conf Games that have more upset potential than you may think:"

Ga Southern vs LSU
Wyoming vs Missouri
Liberty vs Syracuse
Maryland vs Syracuse
Tulane vs Auburn
Cincinnati vs Ohio St
Army vs Michigan
Ga Southern vs Minnesota
App St vs UNC
Utah St vs LSU
Virginia vs ND
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Michigan - Army Pregame Analysis

Post by ArmyBN82 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:47 am

24 7 Gives an early pregame analysis of Army playing a similar grind it out -clock consuming game as we did with Oklahoma. Michigan new offense under Coach Gattis will be under pressure to score. I suspect the Army Defense under Coach Loose will continue to play hard and aggressive. Has the makings of a classic must see game.

“Yeah, Michigan plays Notre Dame later in the year. But that late-October game is flexed into the meat of the Wolverines’ 2019 schedule. Army will reveal a lot about Michigan early. The Black Knights slow down games, punishing aggressive defenses with their option play in a style that keeps the score close. Oklahoma found out a year ago what Army can do to a contender, and the Black Knights promise to be just as good in 2019 as a borderline preseason Top 25 team. Michigan will have to capitalize on its possessions against Army, meaning the spotlight is fully on Josh Gattis’ new offense. The Black Knights will be in this game throughout if the Wolverines struggle to score. “

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 31075728_1
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Michigan Analysis on Army

Post by ArmyBN82 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 am

Short analysis on Army versus Michigan game - and the Michigan upcoming season. More objective parties are increasingly saying the game will not be as easy as the 29 point favorite are shown by the odds makers.

Week 2 — Sept. 7 vs. Army (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
Remember last season when Army went into Norman and pushed Oklahoma to overtime, suffering a narrow seven-point loss? Triple-option teams should never be taken lightly, especially one in Army that finished 11-2 a year ago and brings back its dynamic starting quarterback in Kelvin Hopkins.”

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... e-analysis
0 x

ArmyBN82
New Recruit

Re: Michigan favored for CFB

Post by ArmyBN82 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Michigan again under QB Shea Patterson is cited by ESPN in its Playoff Predictor “Michigan has a 41-percent chance to make the College Football Playoff, according to the analysis, joining Clemson (83 percent), Alabama (71 percent) and Georgia (40 percent) in the national semifinals.”

That of course assumes it makes it past Army 😉

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroi ... 3538248002
0 x

USMA76
New Recruit

Post by USMA76 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:18 pm

I have to wonder what the "pundits" are seeing that I'm not. Harbaugh's contract is north of $5M but he has thrown up all over himself more times than I can count. Bottom line is he has been paid to do one job (beat Ohio State) and he has failed miserably. As I said awhile ago in this post, I like Army's chances a lot more than most of the so-called experts seem to.
2 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic