Would be a good story for Trent to eventually coach at WP.

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

guppie58
New Recruit

Re: Would be a good story for Trent to eventually coach at WP.

Post by guppie58 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Nope.
1 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Would love to see Trent back at West Point. Players can learn a ton from him and his specific experience (the what I would do differently lesson) and the guy knows his crap. he is, what, 27? and is a college D1 offensive coordinator. I think he can help army win and be a great part of Army's MUCH IMPROVED culture versus 15 years ago.
0 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:36 am

I'm not too excited to see an OC of a 2-8 FCS program to join the Army program in a coaching capacity, regardless of his history as a former player.
1 x

palidog
New Recruit

Post by palidog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 am

Just out of curiosity. Did TS ever serve in the armed forces after graduating from West Point? If yes, for how long and where?
0 x

BlackGrayGold82
New Recruit

Post by BlackGrayGold82 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 am

https://library.buffalo.edu/ub-sports/m ... ball/#1990

For comparison - about 5 years after Jeff Monken graduated from college, he was a receiver coach at the University of Buffalo '92: 4-6; '93 1-10; '94: 3-8

I am thinking that winners just don't appear . . . they go through a process and try to decipher what works and what does not work and just like a player, a coach is always trying to evolve his game. Monken went into high school coaching after Buffalo, then to Concordia, then finally to GA Southern where he was reunited with Paul Johnson and the rest is history.

Steelman gave his best to Army football. I don't know the man, but watched him and appreciated him just like most of us. Just saying there is more to a man than what his team's record is as a position coach and, personally, I don't reject the idea of him someday being back at Army. That's just me.
0 x
Black Gray & Gold Forever

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm

BlackGrayGold82 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 am
https://library.buffalo.edu/ub-sports/m ... ball/#1990

I don't reject the idea of him someday being back at Army. That's just me.
Neither do I. When and if he is ready. So far, he has only begun his coaching journey. That someday may be 10, 15, 20 years from now or never.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:50 pm

palidog wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 am
Just out of curiosity. Did TS ever serve in the armed forces after graduating from West Point? If yes, for how long and where?
He served about 2 years. not cut and dried since he didn't graduate in may with his class.

Would love to see one of the greatest to wear the black and gold back at Michie. I think many forget just exactly what this kid accomplished as a FOUR YEAR starter (just imagine being a September plebe starting at QB. I could hardly get out of bed as a september plebe).

he had the horrible luck of playing for for one of the 3 or 4 worst coaches in Army history (and thats saying something). I truly believe if he played under Monken, he'd have had the greatest option QB career of all-time
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:12 pm

I've expressed my concerns about TS on here before and I'll refrain from sharing my first and second hand knowledge of him as an individual. I wish him luck in his career. I do not want to see him as a coach at Army.
I truly believe if he played under Monken, he'd have had the greatest option QB career of all-time
Not sure he'd see much playing time under Monken.
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:03 pm

[/quote]

Not sure he'd see much playing time under Monken.
[/quote]

haha. Good one.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic