Air Force is getting salty!

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Pokey92
New Recruit

Air Force is getting salty!

Post by Pokey92 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:18 pm

https://247sports.com/college/air-force ... 131707380/

I keep hearing that Coach Calhoun and his staff are talking a lot of trash about Army and Coach Monken on the recruiting trail. Can't help but think this has come into play with how Monken is approaching the Air Force game every year, and his personal behavior at the end of last years game.

On a more factual note, I would like more details in Army's poor performance on the APR rankings. While I would like to think "Army is a tougher school and people are washing out", the reality may have to do more with the number (and academic preparedness) of the players we are recruiting.
0 x

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Re: Air Force is getting salty!

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Army finished at 976 I believe. It’s pretty good. However, we have lost guys like Cam Thomas, Malik McGue, etc. Part of that is the difficulty of the academy. Part of that is that we were so far down when Monken arrived that the staff had to take some chances in recruiting. Looking at the 2016 roster I see McGue, Tyler Campbell, Cole Macek and others that contributed but eventually left the academy. That counts against you in APR. I’m not going to worry about it unless the attrition of athletes stays much higher than the academy as a whole. Higher for a couple years as we are getting the program together? Not worrying me at all.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Thu May 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Its quite rich for a program like Air Force, which has bent every rule known to man for the last 40 years (they had periods of time where multiple coaches were grads whose entire military career was 'coach'; their use of the prep school for decades; etc) to have the gumption to complain about Army

Complaining about Army? Good. It means they are scared. Cause we are now the best program.
1 x

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 pm

HA, ha. This is funny. How many tickets did USAFA sell to view the NCAA APR Award Ceremony? My guess is zero. Because nobody cares. I didn't see them flaunting APR Stats all those years they were beating us. And I'm pretty certain we didn't say "Hey look at our APR score!" either.

Truth is that Army has finally found a coach who will go out and fight and scratch and claw to compete. We aren't going to win every AF and Navy contest. But we won't get walked on either as long as Monken is here.

My opinion of the real issue is that if USAFA can't win the CIC and at least claim SA dominance then they are in a mess because they are non competitive in the conference as well. The last Conference Championship was in the '98 in the old WAC. That was a great Air Force team for sure. But since 1999 they have not won the conference and only won the Western Division once in 2015. So if you aren't a factor in the conference and now your two most notable rivals (even though they've played Colorado St and Wyoming more than Army and Navy) have caught up and maybe even surpassing you then you could get a little concerned.

I don't know Troy Calhoun. Seems like a decent fellow. However he's got the emotions of a telephone pole. I'd have a hard time getting motivated to play for him. Monken is much more like Fisher Deberry. Love or hate that guy he was intense and wanted to win. And he certainly did the latter.

Lastly, we ain't running choir practice or recruiting for the debate team. This is a football team.

I'll remind you all of Red Blaik's words:

''In its steep physical, mental and moral challenges, in its sacrifices, selflessness and courage, football, beyond any game invented by man, is closest to war. As such, tell me what schools should be more proficient in it than West Point?''

PD
2 x

ArmyRoadFan7
New Recruit

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:51 am

Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't Army make the counter argument that we are removing guys from the academy that should be and not carrying guys just because they are on the football team? I am not saying that Navy and Air Force are doing this but it also wouldn't shock me either. Army hasn't been shy about kicking guys off the team/academy for academic reasons. Chris Carter, Riley in 2017 for 7 games or so, among others.
0 x

hiangle6
New Recruit

Post by hiangle6 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Pokey92 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:18 pm
https://247sports.com/college/air-force ... 131707380/

I keep hearing that Coach Calhoun and his staff are talking a lot of trash about Army and Coach Monken on the recruiting trail. Can't help but think this has come into play with how Monken is approaching the Air Force game every year, and his personal behavior at the end of last years game.

On a more factual note, I would like more details in Army's poor performance on the APR rankings. While I would like to think "Army is a tougher school and people are washing out", the reality may have to do more with the number (and academic preparedness) of the players we are recruiting.
Exactly what trash can they talk? Our mountains are taller than yours? We have legal weed? Your golf ball will travel further at altitude? Our Comm just got relieved? Love that the the Army Air Corps Academy is all worked up over the fact that we have a coach/program that is better than theirs. Their indignation that they are no longer the best SA program is wonderful. I normally think schadenfreude is childish, but in this case, I will gladly wallow in that emotion.
1 x

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 pm

The best comment I read after going through some AF boards was someone alluding to USAFA being the premier leadership school in the world....or to that effect.

Now they've won a bunch of football games and they overall dominate the series with us. So i'm under no illusion that two wins by any means rights the ship (ha, a Navy Reference) however the idea that they are the best leadership school, is, was, and always will be comical.

PD
0 x

ArmyRoadFan7
New Recruit

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:57 am

America's premiere leadership insitution

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/air-for ... e-1.578288
0 x

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Sat May 11, 2019 2:45 pm

While this is very unfortunate and not to mention how disturbing things like this are in our society, we (Army) have had issues of miscreants amongst our ranks too from time to time. I try to judge the SAs by their best not by their worst.

I don't like Air Force but certainly don't want this kind of press for them either.

PD
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic