Great article in the Athletic

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
gabn92
New Recruit

Great article in the Athletic

Post by gabn92 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 am

The Athletic just ran a great article on Army football for this season: https://theathletic.com/1011666/2019/06 ... pth-chart/

One of the better articles I've read, with some decent analysis.

I held off on paying to get access to the Athletic until last month and then broke down and did so, and haven't been disappointed.
1 x

prairie
New Recruit

Re: Great article in the Athletic

Post by prairie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:06 am

gabn92 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 am
The Athletic just ran a great article on Army football for this season: https://theathletic.com/1011666/2019/06 ... pth-chart/

One of the better articles I've read, with some decent analysis.

I held off on paying to get access to the Athletic until last month and then broke down and did so, and haven't been disappointed.
Thanks! Excellent article!!!

Two things were very encouraging for me. First thing, I was surprised to see the comment that the coaching staff thought McCoy could fill out to 250#. I’ve been concerned about his size as he has been listed as 215#. Bolton and Barnard mentions were encouraging and Adkins is highlighted as having potential to start as a plebe so it looks like FB position is in pretty good shape.

Second, I was VERY encouraged by the plan to cycle through FOUR guards in games. Also, the increased depth at tackle on the O-line was positive. The lack of depth on the O-line is what really hurts us during the latter part of games. Our starters have been playing 70+ snaps against D-lines that run 45-55 snaps per game at most because of the defensive rotations most teams employ. This will help address a big part of the second half drop off. Hopefully the MOB stays healthy and continues developing depth at all positions.

Aside from the on-field progress, most impressive thing for me is Coach Monken’s understanding that Army cannot become delusional and think it is something that it is not. Even with the record 13 3-star recruits, we’ll generally be the less talented team on the field on an individual basis and he clearly understands that this is not likely to change. I just don’t see Coach Monken allowing complacency to creep into the program. He’ll have the team ready to play every single week. Very excited for the 2019 season!
1 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Great points, Prairie. Wish it was mid-August and we were talking about summer ball and the start of the season was just around the corner.
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:32 pm

80 and a butt days. Hurry along please!
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic