Season Prediction Thread

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
guppie58
New Recruit

Season Prediction Thread

Post by guppie58 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Winner at the end of the season gets the pride of being the winner!

I'll preface my prediction with the fact that I'm batting pretty strong on my season predictions lately. Some have called my predictions overly optimistic, but I've been 100% on the regular season records since 2016, and actually underestimated the team in 2018 (I predicted 10-2 with a bowl loss; Army went 10-2 with a bowl win). Whether it was causation or not, luck or not, I'm going all in here. Hopefully my trend continues (to include the most recent failure to predict the bowl outcome).

I put way less analysis into this season prediction than normal. Something something deployed something. I'm being bold and predicting an undefeated regular season. It's a team goal, and the team has been quite successful at accomplishing their goals under Coach Monken.

1. Vs Rice (W) - I hope to see Army firing on all cylinders. Anything less than a blowout will lead to the team digging in, but they’ll only have a week to get it together for the toughest opponent of the year. With a blowout, I doubt any overconfidence will keep them from digging in as they look ahead. (1-0)

2. @ Michigan (W) - This is the upset that everybody has been waiting for. As Army has rapidly progressed under Monken, they’ve met numerous milestones: Beat Navy, win the CiC, do it again, and finish the season ranked. They almost beat Penn State with a backup quarterback a few years ago. Last year, they took Oklahoma to overtime - a team that went to the playoffs. Army’s defense held the high scoring Sooners to the fewest points of any team all year. I expect, based on the bowl game, that the new Defensive Coordinator will be even more aggressive and will confuse the Wolverines as they try to settle into their 2019 groove. According to ESPN, Army has a significantly higher probability of beating Michigan than they did beating Oklahoma. I’ll be on the 50-yard line cheering on the Pride and Dream. (2-0)

3. @ University of Texas……San Antonio (W) - Coming off a beatdown by Baylor, UTSA will face an even tougher Saturday at the hands of Army. They won just 3 games last year and will likely hover around the same this year. (3-0)

4. Vs Morgan State (W) - Army is well beyond the days of worrying about FCS competition. (4-0)

5. Vs Tulane (W) - I was at the last one and it was rough. Tulane will be gunning for a ranked Army squad that they’ve beaten in recent history. They edged out Navy last year, but lost decisively to a Houston team that offered plenty of records to Army. Army will be ready. (5-0)

6. @ WKU (W) - An interestingly “even” matchup by the computers at ESPN. The scored multiple points against Wisconsin last year. They won 3 games total. Army is their toughest opponent in 2019. If there is a turnaround, it won’t be enough to win this game. (6-0)

7. @ Georgia State (W) - Shouldn’t be much of a problem for Army, and will offer good recruiting opportunities in a prime Monken state. (7-0)

8. Vs San Jose State (W) - Perhaps SJSU can score more than 3 points this year? They are at Michie, though. Can’t get much worse. (8-0)

9. @ USAFA (W) - The Zoomies plan to win this game. They were embarrassed by the shutout in 2017 at their home, and need revenge. If they can keep their emotions in check and refrain from throwing punches and middle fingers, they might make this a close game. Either way, expect lots of trash talk from fans about Army’s disrespectful coaches and lack of sportsmanship. (9-0)

10. Vs Massachusetts (W) - Not the most solid Independent around. (10-0)

11. Vs VMI (W) - Fake West Point is in for a rough one. (11-0)

12. @ Hawaii (W) - The time zone will certainly be tough. Hawaii, however, did not seem sincerely affected and shifting west is the easier adjustment. ESPN has Hawaii winning this game, but I think the better defense will come out with a win. I expect a decent level of competition, but Army will have their foot firmly on the gas. (12-0)

13. *Navy (W) - Navy has overhauled their coaching staff for this year after a rough 2018 season an third consecutive loss to Army. Fans will continue to talk smack about “14 years” and downplay Army’s prominence. (13-0)

14. *Nebraska (L) - After an undefeated regular season, Army will head to a NY6 bowl. Due to a couple trip-ups, Scott Frost will miss out on winning the B10. Primed to make the playoffs in 2020, Nebraska will prove their worth against a very competitive Army team. This game may look similar to the 1996 Independence Bowl between Army and Auburn. (13-1)
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Re: Season Prediction Thread

Post by wpgrad » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Well, I love your optimism.

I See 10-3. Losses to michigan, Air Force, and either tulane (they are pretty good) or hawaii (long trip at that time of year).

But I do believe two things and perhaps this is the year. Sooner or later, Army is going to beat a big-name team. Monken is too good a coach. And sooner or later, Army is going to flat blow out Navy. I think this might be the year for that one.
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 pm

I'll refrain from a prediction because I have a heart vs head cognitive dissonance going on. Head says wpgrad, heart says guppie58 (without a NY6 bowl though). I will say that with the weak schedule we have, anything less than 10 wins, or going 0-2 in CiC games, would be disappointing.

Beat everyone. 3peat with the CIC.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:43 pm

10-3. Losses to Michigan, Hawaii and some other team we are supposed to beat but don't due to a bad day. That ,of course, if Kelvin Hopkins plays the entire slate of games. If not, I shudder.
0 x

ArmyFan1122
New Recruit

Post by ArmyFan1122 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:17 am

Inside & Outside Army just put out their preview: http://insideoutsidearmy.com/2019/08/12 ... l-preview/
0 x

kfan12
New Recruit

Post by kfan12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 am

I predict fun....Certainly all about guppie58's prediction!
1 x
BG

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:10 pm

In my previous post on the W/L record this year, I said Michigan, Hawai'i and a team we will lose to on a bad day. Looking over the schedule, watch out for Western Kentucky down there. I have a sicky feeling about that one. That one will not be easy.
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am

I’m going with 11-2 for the regular season. The losses will be Michigan (although I think we put a scare into them and hold our own), and Hawaii (time change too much to overcome). Tulane will be toughest home game but Michie Magic holds and the home win streak is in tact at the end of the season. Epic road win against USAFA helps secure third CinC.

Army sets new season win total with bowl victory to finish 12-2.
0 x

bpfeifer
New Recruit

Post by bpfeifer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:36 pm

Game by game

Rice... Will be closer than you think. Rice may look at this as a potential statement game, and put a ton of focus on prepping to stop Army. Army line needs to come together, new center - QB exchange and line calls will present early game challenge. Defensive line & rush needs to get pressure, though DB's will hold tougher this year. If Army does not come focused, it will be down to the wire. Monken cracks the whip at half, Loose makes some good in game adjustments to get pressure, and Army pulls away late. W (1-0)

@Michigan... Not as close as some expect, but closer than spread. Army is not sneaking up on them, Harbaugh knows he has to win this one, they have two weeks to prep for Wisconson, and open with Middle Tennessee State, so they are focused on Army. Michigan LB corp is one of their strengths, and they will provide a tough defense against the Army O, making it hard to run inside or out. Unfortunately, will be a longer day than many are predicting. Also unfortunate in that it knocks us out of poll voting. L (1-1)

@UTSA... Not a good football team. Only way this is close is if Army comes out of the Michigan game with heavy injuries. Disappointed but Monken focused Army team rebounds and beats UTSA handily. W (2-1)

Morgan State... FCS Team... Monken has this program in a place where they beat FCS teams handily... W (3-1)

Tulane... Trap game... Tulane typically plays us well, has 2 weeks to prepare for the option. Good thing is they will not have played Navy first, because typically the second service academy loses... Monken keeps them focused, it comes down to the wire, and Army makes the plays to pull it out. This is a vote with my heart, head thinks we may lose this one... W (4-1)

@Western Kentucky... New coach, new system. Not ready for the option. Army win... W (5-1)

@Georgia State... Another lower tier team that Army is at a point they should beat. Offense comes to play, as 4/11 starters from GA. W (6-1)

San Jose State... Bad team last year, still bad this year. Army rolls. W (7-1)

@Air Force... BIG GAME... Con's for Army - Lots may be on the line for Air Force... Could be bowl eligibility game for AF - 6th win... They will have played Navy, so could be CiC on the line for them... Grudge game from last year... Home crowd, home ref's... Pro's for Army - Monken does not like AF - will have the boys UP! Boys don't like them either, they are UP! Only 1 week for AF to prepare, and will be coming off a tough schedule (at Hawaii, UTAH STATE, ARMY) B2B2B weeks, while Army has a reasonably light schedule of above 2 teams, plus UMASS following week... Army asserts themselves, and heart says wins by 14... Head says this may be a heartbreaking loss in a squeeker. Heart wins again. W (8-1)

UMASS... Bad team, first year coach. Emotional and physical letdown from playing big AF game (win or lose), Army doesn't play well, but doesn't matter. Hope new AD schedules as intelligently as this... W (9-1)

VMI... FCS team... See Morgan State above... W (10-1)

@Hawaii... They will have seen Air Force, so they will have some experience against the option. But we get rested, and Monken planning on 2 weeks is tough to beat. Monken has the team ready, and shifts practices so they are ready for the time change. I think this is a win, and puts them on the fringe of being nationally ranked... W (11-1)

Navy... Navy has a rough 3 game stretch of Notre Dame, SMU, and Houston... Navy will be beat up, but will show up for the game, they may need it for bowl eligibility. Army is rested and up as well. This year, pundits talk of a close game, but it is finally not as Army, sensing top 25 polling, puts an offensive and defensive exhibition on Navy, and rolls... W (12-1)

Would LOVE 13-0, but realistically don't see it. The heart says 12-1, but I can just as easily see us at 10-3... I do like the way the scheduling falls out for them for 12-1.
1 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:54 pm

I would like to modify the prediction to one that would be IF or IF NOT.

A prediction IF Kelvin plays every game or IF NOT if he doesn't play every game (due to injury).

I other words, the prediction would be if he is in there or if he is not in there.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic