Typical Air Force Snobbery

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
gabn92
New Recruit

Typical Air Force Snobbery

Post by gabn92 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:08 am

Just read the Air Force Season Breakdown article over in Against All Enemies website...disrespect to Army for sure:

This game is relatively late in the season, but if Army plays like they did last year, they will have inflated confidence that can easily be broken by wearing them down. Air Force only lost this game 14-17 last year, and I have confidence that they can pull out the win this year.

“Inflated confidence”? “Easily wear them down”?

No respect from our AF brothers. I hope we pound them into the turf.
0 x

prairie
New Recruit

Re: Typical Air Force Snobbery

Post by prairie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:07 pm

gabn92 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:08 am

No respect from our AF brothers. I hope we pound them into the turf.
I know most Army fans are looking forward to the Michigan game as the biggest of the season but for me the AF game is the biggest.

I hope that the win is lopsided and that the coaching staff and the team pulls out all the stops to beat Donald "we are not losing to that team again" Hammond and the rest. I hope that Hammond gets hit on EVERY play whether he has the ball or not. I'd like to see Amedeo make 3 or 4 full speed hit on him with or without the ball. They'll all be clean hits of course but you have to plan for it and I'm sure the coaching staff will give the team the opportunity to make those hits. Army is a team built on toughness. It can't let a punk-ass remark go by without some payback.

AF tries to insert itself into the conversation when the Army Navy game is touted as the only game where the opposing sides are willing to die for one another but they sure don't behave that way on the recruiting trail when they point out the ground combat casualty figures to the recruits.
Last edited by prairie on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

3seconddelay
New Recruit

Post by 3seconddelay » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Agreed. AF is a pivotal game for this team I think. Shutting them out in Falcon Stadium two years ago is one of the greatest Army games I’ve witnessed. I expect it will get chippy early in this game.
1 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:02 pm

We must beat Air Force to keep the trophy as I feel AF will beat Navy so it is up to us the first Saturday in November to go out and beat AP to at least retain that trophy. In Colorado, it will not be easy.
0 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:33 pm

3seconddelay wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:57 pm
Agreed. AF is a pivotal game for this team I think. Shutting them out in Falcon Stadium two years ago is one of the greatest Army games I’ve witnessed. I expect it will get chippy early in this game.
That was the best Army football game in my lifetime. I'd prefer a lopsided game but I'd trade off the margin on the scoreboard for physical domination. I'd like to see all their ball carriers end the day with bloody chinstraps and their DB's get pushed back into the sidelines on EVERY play.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:52 am

Air Force has always been wierd. I remember going to Airborne school in the early 90's and about 25-30 zoomies were there (along with about 100 cadets), and they were just much different kids. Had very much an us versus them mentality. West Coast Vs East coast. Whatever you wanna call it.

Anyway, Air Force has had 3 decades of basically just kicking Army's ass (and, until Paul Johnson, same with Navy). NOw that the worm has turned, I think their players are struggling with the idea that they aren't top dog anymore.
1 x

Iguanaone76
New Recruit

Post by Iguanaone76 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:20 pm

I did an inter-service upon graduation into the AF, onto my tour as an ICBM crew member. I had the impression that they thought very highly of themselves. I had to stop one of the golden boys from walking into a Huey tail rotor. I guess he didn't pay attention during the safety brief. Anyway, I had better rapport with the ROTC officers than with zoomies. I've worked at NAVAIR and didn't have issues with USNA grads. I was at WP for the AF game last year and thoroughly enjoyed that win!
1 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Iguanaone76 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:20 pm
Anyway, I had better rapport with the ROTC officers than with zoomies.
When I was at Bragg, everyone on jump status hated jumping AWADS (adverse weather aerial delivery system) because the Air Force guys would just drop us anywhere but the drop zone half the time.

My buddies and I would meet some zoomies at one of the the off post watering holes from time to time. The zoomies never tired of the joke that they call it “all WOODED area delivery system.” I got the feeling that they really didn’t seem bothered to drop an entire aircraft of paratroopers in the woods. They were really douche-nozzles.
1 x

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Good points Prairie and I agree.

Even though I'm stoked about the UM game. AF is one we must be concerned with.

There is no love lost on either side in this match up. We played second and third fiddle to USAFA in Athletics for Decades. However, we all know they aren't even close when it comes to leadership and production of leaders who have contributed to the US and Globally.

Last year got pretty ugly with the Mascot kidnapping, going for it on 4th down to seal the victory, the scrum after the game and great show of class with the "bird" on national TV, and Hammond's claims in the post game press conference. Of course, Monken has only fueled the fire since with his comments at the White House.

Playing at their place could be one for the ages. If we win I'm willing to bet Troy Calhoun is gone, outside of them really making a run. I hope we beat them again but hope doesn't win games!

PD
0 x

kfan12
New Recruit

Post by kfan12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Air Force has a distinctive home field advantage with the altitude. If both teams are near equal, the zoomies should win more than their share based on the thin air. Most teams from lower altitudes tend to wear down late in the first half and in the 2nd half. Unfortunately, they've let the success go to their heads.
0 x
BG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic