Typical Air Force Snobbery

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Mack270
New Recruit

Re: Typical Air Force Snobbery

Post by Mack270 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:35 pm

IMO, while it greatly annoyed me, at least the DJ Hammond comments were about putting the onus on himself to produce wins and live up to his promise to the AF football fans.

On the other hand, the postgame comments from Safety Jeremy Fejedelem were truly ridiculous. Army "wasn't that tough," "Oklahoma never sees the option," etc. Like my dude, maybe they "aren't that tough," but they just beat you so what does that say about your team? Talking smack in the locker room after failing on the field? Truly sour grapes. I'd be pissed if any of our players pulled that garbage. I hope they make them pay for it this year. That game will certainly be a battle.

For anyone who needs a reminder of the postgame comments from last year:

https://gazette.com/sports/david-ramsey ... 86d84.html
0 x

3seconddelay
New Recruit

Post by 3seconddelay » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 pm

kfan12 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm
Air Force has a distinctive home field advantage with the altitude. If both teams are near equal, the zoomies should win more than their share based on the thin air. Most teams from lower altitudes tend to wear down late in the first half and in the 2nd half.
That was not the case two years ago. Army dominated, completely dominated, the line of scrimmage the entire game. The last drive was a thing of beauty grinding them into the ground on their way to the shut out. Army was definitely the superior team skill and experience wise but the altitude did not appear to be a factor at all. Whatever Coach Monken did to prepare them for it worked then and I expect it to work again. I love that quote from Monken after the 2018 game in the locker room “That trophy’s ours and it ain’t never leaving!” with spit flying out of his mouth.
0 x

kfan12
New Recruit

Post by kfan12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm

3seconddelay wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 pm
kfan12 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm
Air Force has a distinctive home field advantage with the altitude. If both teams are near equal, the zoomies should win more than their share based on the thin air. Most teams from lower altitudes tend to wear down late in the first half and in the 2nd half.
That was not the case two years ago. Army dominated, completely dominated, the line of scrimmage the entire game. The last drive was a thing of beauty grinding them into the ground on their way to the shut out. Army was definitely the superior team skill and experience wise but the altitude did not appear to be a factor at all. Whatever Coach Monken did to prepare them for it worked then and I expect it to work again. I love that quote from Monken after the 2018 game in the locker room “That trophy’s ours and it ain’t never leaving!” with spit flying out of his mouth.
"if both teams are equal..." that seemed pretty clearly not to be the case that day...whether it be motivation or talent that year, Army was clearly the better team on the field that day.
0 x
BG

3seconddelay
New Recruit

Post by 3seconddelay » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Ok. They weren’t equal then and they are not equal now. Army is the superior team, all around, at this point in 2019. Army’s coaching staff, skill players, experience and depth are all superior. The altitude at Falcons Stadium is no more than the -3 points Vegas gives for home field advantage in any game. Go Army! Ground Air Force! Again. Ground and Pound!
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 pm

I don't know. Maybe I'm buying into the Colorado Springs Gazette propaganda, but I think Air Force will be significantly better this year. Of course I hope we blow them out again, but history shows us that winning at Air Force will always be a battle.
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm

This game is going to be a dogfight. Academy rivalry games always are...but this one even more so. USAFA is hungry to not lose a third year in a row. Add the bad blood from the end of last years game, the mascot incident and Monken’s jabs at USAFA...you know they are going to be out for blood. And I know our guys will be ready to give it all back and more. Can’t wait for this battle...it will be epic.

I think USAFA is improved and playing at home will make this a tough one for sure. But, as long as Army doesn’t beat themselves with mistakes, they are good enough to win again in CO.
1 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:27 am

Well said @gabn92 . Agree completely.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic