Any news from the scrimmage?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Mack270
New Recruit

Re: Any news from the scrimmage?

Post by Mack270 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm

It feels like a lot of folks forget that we were in this exact situation with the quarterback position last year, except we've swapped out a (relatively) unproven (minus Temple comeback) Hopkins, unproven (very very few snaps) Langdon, and unproven (zero snaps) Thomas for a proven Hopkins, and unproven (zero snaps) backups. The difference is we all know what to expect from Hopkins now and are much more fearful about losing him to injury. Although I do recognize that the surrounding players (offense and defense) also impact the assessment.
0 x

3seconddelay
New Recruit

Post by 3seconddelay » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Cam Thomas had a lot of snaps and started a game. Not having a backup with a start under his belt is not optimal. QB is about the only position where it’s not plug and play 2-3 deep with good experience and/or stand out performance. The pipeline at QB does appear to be full though. Ronnie McAda was 4 on the depth chart when he stepped in against Temple in ‘94. 13 games is a long slog. One of backups will get his chance to shine along the way, as Hopkins did against Temple in ‘17.
1 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:56 pm

3seconddelay wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:12 pm
Cam Thomas had a lot of snaps and started a game. Not having a backup with a start under his belt is not optimal. QB is about the only position where it’s not plug and play 2-3 deep with good experience and/or stand out performance. The pipeline at QB does appear to be full though. Ronnie McAda was 4 on the depth chart when he stepped in against Temple in ‘94. 13 games is a long slog. One of backups will get his chance to shine along the way, as Hopkins did against Temple in ‘17.
Agree completely, I don't see how an option QB is gonna get through 13 games without being banged up at some point (hopefully nothing major) and needing a break such as the one we saw Cam do last year.
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm

As I said, I was comparing coming into 2019 versus coming into 2018. Coming into 2018, Cam Thomas had zero reps as far as I know. He made his first start (and had any actual playing time) versus Miami last year. Would it be better if he was still here? Yes, but he couldn't beat the Dean. Having a backup with no experience is the same for 2019 as it was for 2018. That was my only point. Hopefully we can get up on teams early in the season to give our backups some quality game reps. Saw in the most recent THR article that Jabari Laws is working himself into the QB2 spot.
0 x

3seconddelay
New Recruit

Post by 3seconddelay » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Sorry missed that. 3 second delay is more like 6 these days. Laws and Tyler were 2 and 3 respectively coming out of Spring ball. Now Anderson has moved up to 3 it appears.
1 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic